This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

how do predestination and free will coexist?

#1winter____bellsPosted 9/2/2011 9:28:42 AM
been thinking about this recently, not in the mood to type anything up atm but will later.

looking for all viewpoints/perspectives.
#2OrangeWizardPosted 9/2/2011 9:38:46 AM
They don't.
---
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""
-General_Dong on Black Ops
#3actarusPosted 9/2/2011 9:49:30 AM
Read the Book Jonah.
Nineveh did fall but generations later because the people repent.
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Jonah+1&version=KJV
---
Even the smallest star twinkles in the dark
#4fudrickPosted 9/2/2011 10:01:43 AM
actarus posted...
Read the Book Jonah.
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Jonah+1&version=KJV

How is this an answer?
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#5OrangeWizardPosted 9/2/2011 10:37:03 AM

That's not predestination. It doesn't take "when" into account. If God only predestined that Nineveh would fall...EVENTUALLY, then that's not any better than what humans can predict.
---
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""
-General_Dong on Black Ops
#6lorddrago88Posted 9/2/2011 11:34:20 AM
OrangeWizard posted...
They don't.
---
---If I suspect you have an agenda or have no intention of listening, I may not respond to your post. Deal with it.---
#7the_hedonistPosted 9/2/2011 11:57:55 AM
Don't have a lot of time to make an extensive post, but the short story is that they coexist only as far as your definition of free will allows them to do so. Some people have differing definitions of free will. Most academic philosophers today are compatibilists, if that really means anything at all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compatibilism
---
Thumbs up for rock 'n' roll.
~The Christian Hedonist~
#8Teh_MurmurPosted 9/2/2011 12:08:36 PM
I believe in predestination as the sum of a series of free-will decisions made as a result of innate personal tendencies and accumulated life experiences.
---
Siaynoq! I believe!
#9kozlo100Posted 9/2/2011 12:19:39 PM
For my own two cents, I define free will as having the ability to select between more than two or more possible options via a mechanism internal to your self.

I'm not sure if such a thing exists, but as far as I can see there is no way it could exist in a deterministic system, as such a system never presents more than one possible option.

Predestination requires a deterministic system, else there is a chance the predestined result might not come to pass. Hence Predestination cannot coexist with free will.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#10DoGCyNPosted 9/2/2011 1:19:44 PM(edited)
how do predestination and free will coexist?

They just do. The Bible proves both these thoughts at the exact same time.

P.S. I will offer my thoughts later as well. Just got back from a game and I'm tired lol.
---
2 Corinthians 12:7-10