This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

A story from a funeral.

#1FoxTheSwiftPosted 9/2/2011 9:40:07 PM
As a little background, I'm an atheist for those of you who have forgotten.

I was at a funeral this week. For the most part, it was a nice Catholic funeral. You know, Hail Mary's, talking about the mysteries of Jesus and his ultimate sacrifice and all of that. At the end though, when the coffin was being buried, there was a huge change. The guy in question was in the military, so he had soldiers come up, fire off their weapons, give the salute, talk about how the ultimate sacrifice is serving your country, ect. The dissonance of this struck me so hard. But this was the part that people cried at, not the Christian things which it had completely upstaged. It just struck me as such a profane thing to do at a Catholic funeral, and really, its like all of the lessons the priest was trying to get at the entire time were thrown out the window for that.
#2Hustle KongPosted 9/2/2011 9:47:37 PM
If I somehow find myself in military service, I want that nonsense kept far away from my funeral. Other than that, my family can do whatever.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#3NsM ComatosisPosted 9/2/2011 10:50:29 PM
I bought the Six Feet Under DVD box set the other day (great show btw), and after watching a couple of episodes I realized pretty quickly that I find the idea of funerals completely stupid.

I'm going to put on my will--if and whenever I get around to making one--that my body is to be donated to science, even if this just means being used as practice for med students or aspiring coroners. Preferably I'd like my organs to help someone else live longer, but I'm pretty sure this option's already been ruled out by my bad habits, heh.

And yes, my wishes on the matter supersede any feelings of "closure" my loved ones might get after watching me go into the ground in an expensive casket just to become worm food. Might sound selfish and what not, but I'm having a hard time imagining a more useless ritual at the moment.
---
Pun is top 10 of all time. You can tell he ate a lot of mc's. -- Moogle Hunter
#4Faust_8Posted 9/3/2011 4:47:42 AM
^^ I understand where you're coming from, but funerals pretty much ARE for closure for those that survive you--it's not really for you.

It's for saying goodbye and reminding us why we want to.

So I'm going to throw them a bone probably and let them do it. It costs money, yeah...but it's so they can feel better and move on. It's not like I have to sit through it.
---
-Being skeptical of science is being skeptical of skepticism.
-The future that we will find together will be greater than the assumptions of our past.
#5Hustle KongPosted 9/3/2011 7:35:00 AM
"^^ I understand where you're coming from, but funerals pretty much ARE for closure for those that survive you--it's not really for you."

Which is why I'd even be fine with a religious service. But them allowing some patriotic and militaristic nonsense would be tantamount to letting a man who murdered me delivering the eulogy. The only recognition of them I'd want is that I was there against my will.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#6NsM ComatosisPosted 9/3/2011 10:33:08 AM
Faust_8 posted...
^^ I understand where you're coming from, but funerals pretty much ARE for closure for those that survive you--it's not really for you.

It's for saying goodbye and reminding us why we want to.

So I'm going to throw them a bone probably and let them do it. It costs money, yeah...but it's so they can feel better and move on. It's not like I have to sit through it.

Well, my family's gonna have to figure out a way to find closure some other way. I expect them to, as a matter of fact, purely as a matter of principle. Humanity in general needs to find better ways to cope with death, ways that don't involve constantly lying to ourselves about how no one really dies and we all live forever in heaven.

My thoughts on the matter are obviously colored by my beliefs in the afterlife and what not, but all the same, I think about death surprisingly often, and I simply don't see how it will benefit me to watch a dead friend or family member go underground in a casket. It's easy to speak hypothetically, of course, but I'm surprisingly adamant about this at the moment. <_<
---
#7RetrotasticPosted 9/3/2011 10:56:42 AM
Humans held funerals before any kind of organised religion even existed you know.
#8the_hedonistPosted 9/3/2011 4:30:55 PM
Retrotastic posted...
Humans held funerals before any kind of organised religion even existed you know.

Wait...we know when organized religion started? News to me.
---
Thumbs up for rock 'n' roll.
~The Christian Hedonist~
#9RetrotasticPosted 9/3/2011 5:05:57 PM
the_hedonist posted...
Retrotastic posted...

Wait...we know when organized religion started? News to me.

Around the the time when civilisation and organised states began but not everywhere at once. The Native Americans never had an organised religion.
#10NsM ComatosisPosted 9/3/2011 10:32:21 PM(edited)
Define "organized religion." Were people in various Native American tribes free to not perform the rain dance if they thought it was a bunch of nonsense? Or are you saying there was no organized religion simply because there wasn't a single, unified doctrine that all the tribes followed?

---