This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Calling all Catholics.

#1GKD234Posted 9/4/2011 1:32:27 PM
I wanna make this as short as possible so that way everyone can read and dive into questions right away.

Basically, while I claim myself as a christian, I don't tie myself to any branch. I grew up literally only knowing Southern Baptism. Let's just say me and her aren't working out. I would like to be apart of something and be proud of it, not hide my faith. I never claim myself as sourthern baptist and pretty much only claim as christian. Just the other day I thought to myself "You know, I know nothing about catholicism.

So i researched it for a good 3-4 hours last night. Hopefully maybe some of the catholic members on this board can help me with a few questions.

1) If the end journey is the same (heaven) why do baptist believe catholics are wrong and are going to hell. They believe in jesus and god and etc right?

2) What is up with the "Ok say 45 rosaries and your sins will be forgiven" I don't understand how or why they need to do that.

3) People of my group (Southern Baptist) could easily argue that Purgatory is simply a "get out of jail free card" Could anybody link me to verses in the bible that hint at purgatory?

4) How would I go about talking to a priest about catholicism? Is it as simple as calling the church and making an appointment or is it a more detailed process, please remember im simply asking questions, not converting.

5) So...what is the Pope? I know he's an important religious figure but how does he relate to the Catholic faith?
---
I play War Shooter: Modern War. It's the exact same as CoD but only 24 people play it online so it's better because it's not popular, just like me.
#2DagorhaPosted 9/4/2011 2:28:26 PM
lemme try to answer some

1) If the end journey is the same (heaven) why do baptist believe catholics are wrong and are going to hell. They believe in jesus and god and etc right?

No clue, probably have to ask a baptist

2) What is up with the "Ok say 45 rosaries and your sins will be forgiven" I don't understand how or why they need to do that.

It's a forgiveness thing. Priests, through christ, have the power to pardon sins. Even though i don't think its technically neccesary the bible does point towards people professing sins to priests. I could be very wrong on this one.

3) People of my group (Southern Baptist) could easily argue that Purgatory is simply a "get out of jail free card" Could anybody link me to verses in the bible that hint at purgatory?

Catholics don't believe in sola scriptura so they can use extra biblical references for evidence of their beliefs. Other then that...

4) How would I go about talking to a priest about catholicism? Is it as simple as calling the church and making an appointment or is it a more detailed process, please remember im simply asking questions, not converting.

Yeah i think so. Or after mass sometimes a priest makes themselves available to talk to or are just hanging around the church itself doing various things. Usually they are open to talk.

5) So...what is the Pope? I know he's an important religious figure but how does he relate to the Catholic faith?

The pope is the be all to end all authority on earth. He is believed to have been granted this special privilege by Jesus although obviously this point is hotly debated.
---
You don't get a gold star for being less bloody stupid than another bloody stupid person when you are still demonstrably bloody stupid. -the final bahamut
#3bladegashPosted 9/4/2011 6:17:56 PM
WGKD234 posted...

it's not one denomination thinking the other denomination is wrong, it's baptists believe that you must accept jesus as your lord and savior, and that's the only way to get to God. If catholics do that, then the baptists believe they are going to heaven. Most denominations don't understand other denominations, they disagree with each others practices (like who to pray to and confession), but it's all about how they believe salvation comes, not whether they partake in other denominational practices. I'm baptist and I don't think all catholics are going to hell, but I disagree with praying to mother mary and such.

Dagorha hit this one good. Just their religious practice for repentance.

While personally I don't believe in purgatory, there are several verses implying a place after death we stay until the millennium reign on earth, and I'm pretty sure I read something along the lines we won't be in heaven until after judgement day. It's been a while since I've read anything on this, so someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on what the bible says, but I'll look it up and post verses when I find them.

simple as finding a priest, they are usually very easy to talk to, and you just find one, ask if he has some free time, then lay your questions down.

Ya like what Dagorha said, like many denominations, catholics have denominations too that debate what exactly the pope is, so not all catholics believe the pope is who he is for the same reason.
---

KataclismiC
#4fudrickPosted 9/4/2011 6:28:26 PM
GKD234 posted...

It's just that catholics and baptists hate each other. It's kind of like asking why muslims believe christians are going to hell and vice versa, I mean they both believe in god right?
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#5OrangeWizardPosted 9/4/2011 6:33:05 PM

I wanna make this as short as possible so that way everyone can read and dive into questions right away.

Basically, while I claim myself as a christian, I don't tie myself to any branch. I grew up literally only knowing Southern Baptism. Let's just say me and her aren't working out. I would like to be apart of something and be proud of it, not hide my faith. I never claim myself as sourthern baptist and pretty much only claim as christian. Just the other day I thought to myself "You know, I know nothing about catholicism.

Catholicism is the first religion you think about when you ponder all of the religions you know nothing about?

Really?
---
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""
-General_Dong on Black Ops
#6GKD234(Topic Creator)Posted 9/4/2011 8:22:26 PM
OrangeWizard posted...

Catholicism is the first religion you think about when you ponder all of the religions you know nothing about?

Really?

Yes, or do you prefer I use some hipster religion only 2 people know about? cafunastortaoism?
---
I play War Shooter: Modern War. It's the exact same as CoD but only 24 people play it online so it's better because it's not popular, just like me.
#7fudrickPosted 9/4/2011 8:30:18 PM
OrangeWizard posted...

Really?

Yeah, it's not like it's the largest religion in the world or anything.

Oh wait.
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#8NoSite4OldCEmenPosted 9/4/2011 9:15:56 PM
1) Most catholics don't believe baptists are going to hell. But you're literally asking, why don't others like you? Some of it is racism, although the largely catholic 2nd immigration wave has been integrated and accepted by now although many of the current immigration wave from latin america are also catholic. Most of it though is them being ignorant of catholicism.

2) The rosaries/praying is just to get you to think about God. The important part is confessing to a priest and genuinely asking for forgiveness. God knows if you're not really sorry, and it doesn't work if you're just going through the motions.

3) I could argue that the same punishment no matter who severe the crime encourages people who already sinned a little to continue sinning. Purgatory is like sending someone to jail for x years instead of executing them.

5) When Jesus ascended he left St. Peter in charge of the church, the first pope. The pope is the current leader, he's our spiritual leader and guide. Like how the founding fathers designed the constitution to be flexible so the country can handle new situations. The pope is there to guide us to the correct solution when new situations/conflicts/etc. arise.
---
The Internet is a Series of Tubes
#9fudrickPosted 9/4/2011 9:23:36 PM
NoSite4OldCEmen posted...
3) I could argue that the same punishment no matter who severe the crime encourages people who already sinned a little to continue sinning. Purgatory is like sending someone to jail for x years instead of executing them.

Hasn't everyone sinned at least a little, though?
---
Best FCs:
#10OrangeWizardPosted 9/4/2011 9:36:08 PM

Yes, or do you prefer I use some hipster religion only 2 people know about? cafunastortaoism?

I'd prefer you didn't use, like, the 2nd biggest religion in the world.
---
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""
-General_Dong on Black Ops