This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Calling all Catholics.

#11fudrickPosted 9/4/2011 9:56:01 PM
OrangeWizard posted...
I'd prefer you didn't use, like, the 2nd biggest religion in the world.

2nd...? Can someone who doesn't have me on ignore tell me what religion is larger than catholicism? Unless you consider all protestants a single religion yet exclude catholics from that group, which seems kind of weird.
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#12Chaos ScadePosted 9/4/2011 10:11:18 PM
fudrick posted...
2nd...? Can someone who doesn't have me on ignore tell me what religion is larger than catholicism? Unless you consider all protestants a single religion yet exclude catholics from that group, which seems kind of weird.

I think Sunni Islam and Roman Catholicism are more or less neck and neck - I'm not entirely sure which one is on top at the moment. Eastern Orthodoxy gets the third spot, I believe.
---
Taste the fountain of immortality.
http://i43.tinypic.com/iqehc6.jpg
#13OrangeWizardPosted 9/4/2011 10:15:41 PM
I thought Islam was #1

I could very well be mistaken. I just wanted to approximate it.
---
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""
-General_Dong on Black Ops
#14Chaos ScadePosted 9/4/2011 10:19:57 PM(edited)
Islam as a whole is definitely larger than Roman Catholicism. However, Christianity as a whole still outnumbers it. When you're talking about (relatively) monolithic blocks, I think Roman Catholicism may still have a slight edge over the Sunni. I'm not entirely sure.
---
#15fudrickPosted 9/4/2011 10:21:29 PM
Chaos Scade posted...
I think Sunni Islam and Roman Catholicism are more or less neck and neck - I'm not entirely sure which one is on top at the moment. Eastern Orthodoxy gets the third spot, I believe.

Hmm, that's right, I somehow forgot that sunnis are soooo much more numerous than shiites. Thanks for the response.

OrangeWizard posted...
I thought Islam was #1

I could very well be mistaken. I just wanted to approximate it.

Well I figured that if islam is considered a single religion christianity should be as well. Few groups seem to be as separated as sunnis and shiites.
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#16Ryan LewisPosted 9/5/2011 2:42:48 PM(edited)
If you just want to be a part of something and be proud of it, why don't you just join a group that fits with your beliefs? It's better than trying to find a church where you have to conform your beliefs to their standards, just because you want to be a part of a well-known sect. I mean if Catholicism works, great, but it just seems kind of strange to need to be a part of a different Church or a sec that doesn't match your beliefs just to be a part of something different. You should be proud of whatever beliefs you already have, without needing to prove it to anyone.
---
Currently watching: Classic Doctor Who, Sons of Anarchy, Community
#17Chaos ScadePosted 9/5/2011 6:05:08 PM
Ryan Lewis, I became Orthodox because I believed that the Orthodox Church was the original Church and the true Church to the exclusion of all others. Subsequent to accepting that, however, I would come across beliefs of the Orthodox that did not conform to my preconceived Western Christian ideas. However, I didn't turn my back on it because of that, but rather shifted my own beliefs to be in conformity with Orthodoxy. This fellow might be curious about Roman Catholicism because it is the largest and, as some people may contend, oldest form of Christianity (though I would obviously say that it is not the oldest form and that actually Orthodoxy is) and he wants to know about what its claims are and why. Is there even anything in this topic which says that he's wanting to become Catholic on those grounds? I don't think so.

By the way, GKD234, I am a Catholic, but I'm not a Roman Catholic. Rather, my Church contends that the Church of Rome gradually broke away from the Orthodox Catholic Church over a period that lasted from about the ninth century to the thirteenth century AD, though many historians place the date of the "Great Schism" in 1054.
---
#18WhereDidItGoPosted 9/6/2011 5:33:40 AM
I'm a Catholic convert myself and I suggest picking up a copy of the Catechism of the Catholic Church. It's the best source for learning the Catholic faith. You can also find it online with search features to find issues you are curious about. Here is a good link: ( http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc.htm )
---
"It is no use walking anywhere to preach unless our walking is our preaching. "
St. Francis of Assisi