This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Shows, song, movies, etc. that seem anti-religious but aren't.

#1SepucherPosted 9/4/2011 1:11:08 PM
Note: A long time ago, I saw somebody make a topic the opposite of this: Shows, songs, movies, etc. that seem religious but aren't. So, I've decided to do the opposite, just for fun. Feel free to make that topic on your own time if you'd like.

Heaven's a Lie by Lacuna Coil

I'll let wikipedia talk for me:

Although frequently labeled as an anti-religion song, such an interpretation is mistaken. In an interview with HighWireDaze.com, leading vocalist Cristina Scabbia explained the meaning of the song; the word "heaven" is a metaphor for a "perfect life". When the phrase "your heaven's a lie" is used, it is referring to people who try to force their opinions on others

Shows

Moral Oral

I did think it was very anti-religious when I first saw it. Here's wikipedia's explanation of it:

The first season of the show followed a standard formula: Orel would hear a sermon in church on Sunday, then proceed to have some sort of misadventure based on his attempts to live by his (usually warped) interpretation of the lesson. At the end of each episode, his father would sternly put a halt to the proceedings and "correct" Orel—with an even more warped interpretation.

However, in an interview with Dino Stamatopoulos, he said basically it was about the people who manipulate and twist the religion into what the people on the show do rather than being against religion itself.

Finally, I'm not sure if this one is right or not, but I have a cousin who is majoring in English. He read Paradise Lost for his class and mentioned that that book was a huge inspiration for Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy. He said that surprises him, because the book is actually pro-religious, contrary to popular belief. If anybody would like to dispute this, please do. Keep in mind, he (as well as I) is not a Christian (Believes in God, but not the Christian one), so he has no reason to be "butthurt" if the book does bash Christianity.

Any other examples?
#2anavriNPosted 9/4/2011 2:02:05 PM
I used to think that a lot of Blind Guardian songs (like 'Martyr' and 'Holy War') were anti-christian, but then I discovered that several of the band members describe themselves as christians. Hansi Kursch spoke of some of these songs in an interview, stating that they weren't anti-christian, but, for example, take the perspective of a disillusioned soldier returning from a Crusade.
---
§ 157. Der Gedanke an den Selbstmord ist ein starkes Trostmittel: mit ihm kommt man gut über manche böse Nacht hinweg.
#3ForsakenHermitPosted 9/4/2011 2:21:01 PM
The Divine conspiracy by Epica, well at least not as anti-religion as some people think it is.
---
I will close this account if Final Fantasy XV is announced to be for either the PSP2 or 3DS.
Fire Yoichi Wada
#4avsfan33Posted 9/4/2011 3:00:50 PM
Im of the opinion that Lennon's Imagine is not anti-religion or at least as much as people think it is. The main message is describing his utopia of a world without conflict and he simply points out religion as one of the main sources of conflict along with nationalism, material goods, greed Etc
---
Living comes much easier, once we admit, we're dying
#5mercuryinkPosted 9/4/2011 3:47:39 PM
I used to think that a lot of Blind Guardian songs (like 'Martyr' and 'Holy War') were anti-christian, but then I discovered that several of the band members describe themselves as christians. Hansi Kursch spoke of some of these songs in an interview, stating that they weren't anti-christian, but, for example, take the perspective of a disillusioned soldier returning from a Crusade.

Guardian ftw. They do a lot of Bible-Religion themed songs. though not as many as they do about, say, King or Tolkien (Indeed, they’re “known” as a LotR band, but until NiME had as many, if not more, songs about King books as they did Tolkien’s. Off the top of my head, though, “Religiousy themed Guardian songs, positive OR negative”
Banish from Sanctuary was about John the Baptist, with its prelude being the Pie Iesu motet.
Another Holy War and The Martyr are about the crucifixion, a topic again dealt with in the Demons & Wizards (the Guardian-Iced Earth side project) song My Last Sunrise. I think the one song you were thinking of was “Script for My Requiem”, about The Crusades.
A Night at the Opera has a buttload: Precious Jerusalem is about Jesus’s life, particularly his time in the wilderness, while “Sadly Sings Destiny” is about Judas. Moreover, Under the Ice, about Cassandra of Troy, has the characters cursing the games the gods play with their lives, hoping for “no more pain, and no more gods.” Age of False Innocence is about the persecution of Galileo, while Punishment Divine is about the insanity of Nietzsche in his final days, as a man who spent his life denying the divine is tormented by choirs of angels as syphilis eats at his brain. Wait For An Answer tells a story about an unlike pair of allies who must band together in the face of xenophobic extremism.
The Edge is about St Paul, while "Dead Sound of Misery" is about the Apocalypse. Turn the Page is about pagan rites concerning the change of season, but also about the waning of paganism and the coming of Christianity.
Control the Divine is about Milton’s Paradise lost.
Kuersch considers himself a “faithful but very critical Christian”.
---
Some people are proof that G-d exists; evolution would have prevented them.
New Jersey Devils -- Stanley Cup Champions -- 1995-2000-2003
#6ToyMachin3Posted 9/4/2011 9:21:37 PM
I'd say Alexander Pope's Essay on Man (all four epistles) can be misconstrued as anti-religious if people don't understand it.
---
"Kidnapping is wrong! I'll be careful not to kidnap anyone."
#7anavriNPosted 9/5/2011 7:20:52 AM
You sure know your BG, mercury. :)
And yes, it was Script for My Requiem that was mentioned in that interview.

Man, all this talk made me want to listen to BG again.

*Winamp go*
---
§ 157. Der Gedanke an den Selbstmord ist ein starkes Trostmittel: mit ihm kommt man gut über manche böse Nacht hinweg.
#8KNessJMPosted 9/5/2011 11:02:13 AM
Deicide.

It's all just deeply metaphorical.... >_>
---
Quote of the Week: "Sleep is a conspiracy."
#9Billy Bob JoePosted 9/6/2011 3:38:15 AM
Guardian fans? In my Religion forums? :D
---
Can my Antikythera Mechanism run this? - thenacho
http://www.youtube.com/user/BillyBobJoeIsaac
#10FlashOfLightPosted 9/6/2011 5:04:33 AM
avsfan33 posted...
Im of the opinion that Lennon's Imagine is not anti-religion or at least as much as people think it is. The main message is describing his utopia of a world without conflict and he simply points out religion as one of the main sources of conflict along with nationalism, material goods, greed Etc

There are well known quotes by Lennon where he states that he is anti-Christ, and unless one lives in a delusional bubble, people should know who Sgt. Pepper is.
---
Make crowd happy... Let Tong Po punish you...