This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

This is absolutely fascinating to me (re: Gobekli Tepe)

#1Hustle KongPosted 9/4/2011 6:29:41 PM
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2011/06/gobekli-tepe/mann-text

The idea that religion may have been the impetus for civilization is very intriguing.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#2OzymandiasIVPosted 9/4/2011 9:00:55 PM
Keeps telling me "Server not found" :(
---
In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe.
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.
#3OrangeWizardPosted 9/4/2011 9:19:34 PM
Amazingly, the temple's builders were able to cut, shape, and transport 16-ton stones hundreds of feet despite having no wheels

You'd think a civilization would have wheels before doing all of that. C'mon, guys, priorities.
---
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""
-General_Dong on Black Ops
#4mercuryinkPosted 9/4/2011 10:43:08 PM
the site is vaguely reminiscent of Stonehenge, except that Göbekli Tepe was built much earlier and is made not from roughly hewn blocks but from cleanly carved limestone pillars splashed with bas-reliefs of animals—a cavalcade of gazelles, snakes, foxes, scorpions, and ferocious wild boars.
Translation? **** yo monument, England.
---
Some people are proof that G-d exists; evolution would have prevented them.
New Jersey Devils -- Stanley Cup Champions -- 1995-2000-2003
#5Heineken14Posted 9/5/2011 1:15:48 AM

Amazingly, the temple's builders were able to cut, shape, and transport 16-ton stones hundreds of feet despite having no wheels

You'd think a civilization would have wheels before doing all of that. C'mon, guys, priorities.

In a way.. yeah. Makes me really wonder what early man did before that whole "jesus" thing.
---
Rage is a hell of an anesthetic
#6Giacomo_HawkinsPosted 9/5/2011 7:57:09 AM
Google cache of the original url for those of you who are still getting the error (scroll down to get to the article):

http://tinyurl.com/3ttf9zc
---
Will the little voice in the back of my mind screaming "This is a bad idea" please yield the floor. --Mikey
Chivalry be hanged, and so will you.