This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Question for all of the weak atheists here.

#1DeadPresidents2Posted 11/2/2011 10:25:09 PM
Why aren't you a strong atheist? I remember a topic a while ago that described exactly what an atheist was, and made no separation of what the different between the strong and weak ones were, seemed to assert that they were all the exact same kind of logical people who put all of this emphasis on evidence yada yada, so how come some of you haven't jumped to the big boy belief of strong atheism? What do weak atheists here think of strong atheists? Do you think they are correct in their position? If so, again, why aren't you one?
---
Me to this random girl : Mygirlfriendsayswhat? Random girl: What?
Me: Zing!
#2TheRealJiraiyaPosted 11/2/2011 10:30:32 PM
There was a discussion a few months back where an agreement was reached that strong atheism is a more illogical stance than theism because, unlike theism, its lilterally impossible for strong atheism's claims to have evidence for them.
---
"An idealist is one who, on noticing that a rose smells better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup." -H.L. Mencken
#3DeadPresidents2(Topic Creator)Posted 11/2/2011 10:39:20 PM
So how come most of the weak atheists here have such a problem with theists beliefs then? If they are unwilling to become a strong atheist, or think it's more illogical to do so, you would think they wouldn't have such a problem with someone believing a God exists. The lack of any evidence isn't even enough for them to say without question a God does not exist. Yet I've looked around here and many topics have had atheists trashing theists beliefs.
---
#4TheRealJiraiyaPosted 11/2/2011 10:41:59 PM
DeadPresidents2 posted...
So how come most of the weak atheists here have such a problem with theists beliefs then? If they are unwilling to become a strong atheist, or think it's more illogical to do so, you would think they wouldn't have such a problem with someone believing a God exists. The lack of any evidence isn't even enough for them to say without question a God does not exist. Yet I've looked around here and many topics have had atheists trashing theists beliefs.

I dont think most of them (with a few very prominent exceptions) do have a huge problem with theists beliefs, I think theyre just speaking about a subject they find interesting on the internet.

Also, I dont see what reasons a strong atheist would have to dislike theism that a weak atheist wouldnt also have.
---
"An idealist is one who, on noticing that a rose smells better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup." -H.L. Mencken
#5DeadPresidents2(Topic Creator)Posted 11/2/2011 11:03:01 PM(edited)
Also, I dont see what reasons a strong atheist would have to dislike theism that a weak atheist wouldnt also have.

If you're a weak atheist, that means you're not rejecting the idea God exists outright, you're stance is that it is POSSIBLE that a God does exist. Many strong atheists don't believe it's possible, logically anyways, or they "know for sure" that at the moment, no God exists. So because of this, I would imagine that those strong atheists have more of a problem with theists beliefs than weak atheists. However, doesn't chance the fact I've still seen some weak atheists here get into some pretty volatile debates with theists here and have said some pretty crude things about their beliefs. You would almost think they were strong atheists.

---
#6kozlo100Posted 11/2/2011 11:38:26 PM
Speaking for myself only, I do not have enough compelling evidence to feel comfortable making the assertion that no gods exist. I also do not have enough compelling evidence to feel comfortable making the assertion that any gods exist. Hence I am a weak atheist, simple as that.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#7hamsandwich3141Posted 11/2/2011 11:44:37 PM
DeadPresidents2 posted...
So because of this, I would imagine that those strong atheists have more of a problem with theists beliefs than weak atheists. However, doesn't chance the fact I've still seen some weak atheists here get into some pretty volatile debates with theists here and have said some pretty crude things about their beliefs. You would almost think they were strong atheists.

The main thing that unites people who trash other's beliefs (without good reason) is not their atheism/theism, but usually that they're just kind of dicks.
---
I only have a signature so I can type my posts in CAPS LOCK.
#8GuideToTheDarkPosted 11/2/2011 11:50:46 PM(edited)
I like to call myself a practical atheist. I'm practically sure there is no god, as I would be practically sure there's no zombies or ghosts. Supernatural things cannot be disproven, but you can have some sense about it.
---
Of course the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you--if you don't play, you can't win. -- Robert Heinlein
'Would have', not 'would of'.
#9thecrobarPosted 11/3/2011 12:05:01 AM
GuideToTheDark posted...
I like to call myself a practical atheist. I'm practically sure there is no god, as I would be practically sure there's no zombies or ghosts. Supernatural things cannot be disproven, but you can have some sense about it.

Pretty much this. I see no reason or proof to believe in god, so I don't. That doesn't mean that I have to categorically deny that god cold even be possible- the idea that god couldn't exist is a logical impossibility.
---
"We are bad guys. It's fun to lead a bad man's life."
Monster with 21 Faces.
#10GuideToTheDarkPosted 11/3/2011 1:38:53 AM(edited)
It's not even the logical aspect, which could be argued. It's the redundancy in calling yourself agnostic. You can't truly be sure of anything, ever. May as well add agnostic to your title of geologist, sysadmin, or stripper.

(yes I know gnostic is term specific to religious stuff)
---
Of course the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you--if you don't play, you can't win. -- Robert Heinlein
'Would have', not 'would of'.