This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So apparently the number of sand grains on planet earth prove God exists somehow

#21TheRealJiraiyaPosted 11/4/2011 7:38:54 PM
prince_leo posted...
“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them." Matthew 5:17

?
Acts, Romans, Galatians, Ephesians, Hebrews, and many other places in the NT, all say that we're not under the law, including not under the 10 commandments.
Christians are not a party to the old covenant, which was a legally binging agreement between the two parties, God and Israel. Your take on Mt. 5:17 is flawed in that there are no laws codified in the prophets. Jesus was not talking about the legalities of the law, but rather that which has the potential to be fulfilled or destroyed in the law (first 5 books of the O.T. and the prophets (the rest of the O.T.)
I don't like the Old Testament. I think it is a good history book, and, it can be useful, but not always. I believe that the Bible was written by man. End of story.
While God did inspire the Bible, man wrote it down. Therefore, he could have written whatever he wanted to in this book, and nobody would know. Also, I believe that in Old Testament times, the Bible was used to govern people, and to bring order to the society. When these people learned they could say that this is what God wants, and everybody would follow it, they used it to it's fullest extent. I also believe some things in the Old Testament can be useful today - like the Ten Commandments - only because Jesus talked about them, and reviewed/revised them in his Sermon on the Mount.

Personal opinion but anyone who doesnt like the OT hasnt studied it enough, that thing is AWESOME.

Ive got a huge book, and half of it is just about the first two verses of the OT. Theres a ridiculous amount of potential for study in that thing.
---
"An idealist is one who, on noticing that a rose smells better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup." -H.L. Mencken
#22GuideToTheDarkPosted 11/4/2011 9:11:32 PM
I could say the same about the rfc index.

First person to get this gets a cookie
---
Of course the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you--if you don't play, you can't win. -- Robert Heinlein
'Would have', not 'would of'.