This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

If God created free will, and God is omniscient...

#11OrangeWizardPosted 11/5/2011 7:49:28 PM(edited)

popular monotheism? By popular, I mean the kind that affects all our daily lives.

I dunno. There are seven million Jehovah's Witnesses. We all believe that. It affects our daily lives.

But if you want to go pick on the low hanging fruit and bash the mainstream Christian's definition of God for having a contradictory and morally flawed version of omniscience, go for it.

But if that's not what you're doing, I'm lost.
---
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""
-General_Dong on Black Ops
#12OrangeWizardPosted 11/5/2011 7:50:42 PM

instead of having to confine ourselves to patches of land here and there thanks to nature's uncanny ability to kill us anywhere else.

You say this as if we don't build cities on fault lines, and in the paths of regular hurricanes
---
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""
#13hero boyPosted 11/5/2011 9:31:33 PM
Atheists = 1
Christians = 0
---
http://www.sirlin.net/ptw
#14fudrickPosted 11/5/2011 11:56:12 PM
OrangeWizard posted...
You say this as if we don't build cities on fault lines, and in the paths of regular hurricanes

You say this as if there are lots of places you can live with no chance of encountering a natural disaster.
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#15XigbarPosted 11/6/2011 4:37:10 PM
OrangeWizard posted...
popular monotheism? By popular, I mean the kind that affects all our daily lives.
I dunno. There are seven million Jehovah's Witnesses. We all believe that. It affects our daily lives.

But if you want to go pick on the low hanging fruit and bash the mainstream Christian's definition of God for having a contradictory and morally flawed version of omniscience, go for it.

But if that's not what you're doing, I'm lost.

The low hanging fruit is what gets in my way when I'm taking a stroll. If mainstream Christianity is a flawed version of your belief, then aren't you pretty outraged about the ubiquity of that flawed mindset?
---
Act, fake it, or grow it. That's an order!
#16OrangeWizardPosted 11/6/2011 5:33:25 PM

The low hanging fruit is what gets in my way when I'm taking a stroll. If mainstream Christianity is a flawed version of your belief, then aren't you pretty outraged about the ubiquity of that flawed mindset?

Yes, I am. And my strolls include preaching against this.
---
#17ilsunshangxiangPosted 11/6/2011 7:31:48 PM
god may not have intended to allow gay sex when he created the universe but the universe evolved and gay sex now can happen
---
God created the universe and let it evolve.
There! Let's stop arguing and be friends.
#18XigbarPosted 11/6/2011 8:08:29 PM
ilovesunshangxiang posted...
god may not have intended to allow gay sex when he created the universe but the universe evolved and gay sex now can happen

Deism is fine and dandy, but the God who assists our policy-makers with decision making is intimately involved with human affairs. Like a guide who's been lending a hand all along. If you're talking about a deity who isn't pulling all the strings on today's Earth, then you are talking about something entirely different than what people tend to mean when they use the word "God".

Putting that aside for now, the God you're talking about is clearly not omnipotent. What makes him or her a God?
---
Act, fake it, or grow it. That's an order!
#19GuideToTheDarkPosted 11/6/2011 8:11:09 PM

treewojima posted...
... then God created free will knowing that gay sex would result. Hence, God created gay sex.

I disagree that your conclusion follows from your premises.

You never did find away around the whole free will being incompatible with omniscience.
---
Of course the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you--if you don't play, you can't win. -- Robert Heinlein
'Would have', not 'would of'.
#20anavriNPosted 11/6/2011 8:44:40 PM
I dont think "God allowed x to happen" = "God did x"

I do think that the predicate of omnipotence makes any deity responsible for everything that happens, regardless of the existence of free will. To say that something falls outside of the jurisdiction of this deity is to restrain it, contradicting the very idea of omnipotence.
---
§ 157. Der Gedanke an den Selbstmord ist ein starkes Trostmittel: mit ihm kommt man gut über manche böse Nacht hinweg.