This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Atheists....

#1OrangePoetPosted 11/17/2011 4:16:30 PM
Why do you believe that the bible is full of myths and fairy tales? What's so hard in believing that there is a God that cares about you and watches over you depsite your unbelief in him?
---
XBL Gamertag: oPUNCHDRUNKo
It's not a matter of luck,It's just a matter of time
#2itslikePosted 11/17/2011 4:23:10 PM
We're a bunch of monkeys living on an organic spaceship flying through the galaxy.

To think we are anything more is rather distasteful.

Why can't you just be happy with living life and stop giving credit to the sky genie?
---
An intelligent person does not need the promise of heaven to see the merit in good deeds.
#3kozlo100Posted 11/17/2011 4:27:32 PM
I don't believe it's full of fairy tales. I believe it's full of myths because the stories it tells are very well inside the definition of myth. It is worth noting that myths needn't be false in order to be myths.

It is hard to believe that there is a god that cares about me and watches over me because my experiences do not seem to imply that such is the case, and reasoning about my observations and the observations of others does not lead me to that conclusion.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#4OrangePoet(Topic Creator)Posted 11/17/2011 4:27:52 PM
I am happy and the only reason I am happy is because Jesus gave me his Holy Spirit. I live my life for Jesus because he has given me life.
---
#5fudrickPosted 11/17/2011 4:30:35 PM
It's not necessarily about it being hard to believe, but more about just not having a reason to believe it.
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#6king_gimpyPosted 11/17/2011 4:31:35 PM
Yet again, what Kozlo said.
---
You can believe in stones, as long as you do not throw them at me.- Wafa Sultan
#7YouAreCrumbsPosted 11/17/2011 4:32:56 PM
OrangePoet posted...
Why do you believe that the bible is full of myths and fairy tales? What's so hard in believing that there is a God that cares about you and watches over you depsite your unbelief in him?

there's no reason to. there is no tangible, logical evidence of the existence of god. i was never read the Bible as a child, so when I read it as an adult I was actually capable of saying "hey, this doesn't really make that much sense."

thousands of years ago, god was showing up at people's houses at night to tell them to kill their kids, but he hasn't done a single irrefutable miracle since Jesus was alive. the Bible isn't exactly an unbiased source on those miracles, though.

so i chose between believing that all this stuff in the Bible is true, but god just hasn't felt like performing miracles to win over some followers for around 2000 years, or the Bible is a slightly biased source for historical facts, those miracles didn't quite happen, and god doesn't exist.
---
joey444
#8avonTPosted 11/17/2011 4:33:56 PM
OrangePoet posted...
I am happy and the only reason I am happy is because Jesus gave me his Holy Spirit. I live my life for Jesus because he has given me life.

The OrangePOEt
---
Official Priest of the Temples of Syrinx.
#9OrangePoet(Topic Creator)Posted 11/17/2011 4:35:48 PM
God is not some magical genie in the sky that grants wishes and creates rainbows. He is very real and I know without a shadow of doubt the he is real. You can't see air, yet you can feel a breeze when air rushes past you, can't you?

I have felt God's prescense many times while in church and I assure you it was real.
---
#10YouAreCrumbsPosted 11/17/2011 4:37:38 PM
OrangePoet posted...
God is not some magical genie in the sky that grants wishes and creates rainbows. He is very real and I know without a shadow of doubt the he is real. You can't see air, yet you can feel a breeze when air rushes past you, can't you?

I have felt God's prescense many times while in church and I assure you it was real.

i can't see air, but i can provide empirical evidence of its existence. i can also measure the speed of a breeze.
---
joey444