This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Christians/Theologians, how do you explain this?

#1FingerpuppetPosted 3/2/2012 4:38:11 PM
According to the bible, the constant "pi" is equal to three (I will find the exact verse if asked). However, we know that it is an irrational number.

Mathematics is the language of the universe and to contradict it is to be wrong...for a creator to contradict the very thing that is is a bit troublesome. How do you work your way around or reconcile this?
---
I am a cretionist. I believe man created the idea of God.
#2TheRealJiraiyaPosted 3/2/2012 4:39:42 PM
Find the exact verse.
---
The Conservative that 261 lets use its bathroom sometimes
Pokemon Black friend code: 2365 5789 0884
#3Fingerpuppet(Topic Creator)Posted 3/2/2012 4:49:20 PM
1 Kings 7:23

And he made a molten sea, ten cubits from the one brim to the other: it was round all about, and his height was five cubits: and a line of thirty cubits did compass it round about.

Diameter: 10
Circumference: 30

C=(pi) x D

pi=3

The Ancient Egyptians even knew that the value of pie was about 3.1
---
#4SuibomPosted 3/2/2012 4:54:31 PM
You made a "gotcha!" topic over .14?
---
"If grace is an ocean, we're all sinking."
#5SirThinkALotPosted 3/2/2012 4:56:35 PM
I'd say the obvious answer is that there is some rounding going on that verse. Hell did the ancient Jews even have a concept of fractions or decimals?
---
Read my blog: http://sirthinkalotsthoughts.blogspot.com/
But, no, seriously **** you!
#6Fingerpuppet(Topic Creator)Posted 3/2/2012 4:59:03 PM
Suibom posted...
You made a "gotcha!" topic over .14?

No, I didn't. I asked a question that I saw as I was reading "The Joy of Pi" and began to wonder myself that why god, if he were omnipotent, got this wrong. You can say that it's just ".14" (it's actually goes much further than that), but "just .14" can collapose a building.

If you don't know the importance of pi I suggest you pick up any textbook on modern math and you'll quickly see how big of an issue it is. Ask any mathematician: a few decimal places off will make any calculation wrong. The universe is able to be described by mathematics- if god got pi wrong, how can he be omnipotent? How can the universe exist?
---
#7Fingerpuppet(Topic Creator)Posted 3/2/2012 5:01:21 PM
SirThinkALot posted...
I'd say the obvious answer is that there is some rounding going on that verse. Hell did the ancient Jews even have a concept of fractions or decimals?

Personally I don't know, but see my "building" example in my above post. However, you're forgetting something- it's God. How can one universal truth possibly contradict another?
---
#8SirThinkALotPosted 3/2/2012 5:04:07 PM
Personally I don't know, but see my "building" example in my above post. However, you're forgetting something- it's God. How can one universal truth possibly contradict another?

I dont believe God directly wrote the Bible, so this isnt really an issue for me.

Also, another thought: Are we sure this was a perfect circle being measured?
---
Read my blog: http://sirthinkalotsthoughts.blogspot.com/
But, no, seriously **** you!
#9SuibomPosted 3/2/2012 5:04:32 PM
So you DID make a "gotcha!" topic over .14.

As said earlier, rounding was probably involved. You've never rounded when retelling an event? Betting most Jews weren't grabbing their calculators to call shenanigans on God
---
"If grace is an ocean, we're all sinking."
#10PhiZZiZlePosted 3/2/2012 5:07:16 PM
fingerpuppet posted...
SirThinkALot posted...

No, you're right, God literally should have put the EXACT dimensions... And I don't just mean cubits, I mean he should have listed everything down to the exact number of atoms. He's God, right? How can this universal truth be ignored by the bible?

Clearly there is no God.

I'm being sarcastic, but I hope you get rhett point. The bible is about the relationship between God and his creation not your subjective definition of where He should have rounded his numbers.
---
God made police so that firefighters could have heroes.