This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Must I explain the formation of the universe for the deniers?

#1FingerpuppetPosted 11/6/2012 4:33:24 PM
Or can I trust you to do your own research? I'm fine with typing out 4,000 characters to explain it, but I'd much rather have people do their own research instead of me writing it down for them (and then they deny it anyway.)
---
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/214-paranormal-conspiracy/63352960#16
The greatest shut down ever.
#2_Floater_Posted 11/7/2012 5:00:13 AM
I'd like to know your opinion of the formation of the universe
#3DagorhaPosted 11/7/2012 8:31:45 AM
_Floater_ posted...
I'd like to know your opinion of the formation of the universe

---
You don't get a gold star for being less bloody stupid than another bloody stupid person when you are still demonstrably bloody stupid. -the final bahamut
#4kts123Posted 11/7/2012 8:38:44 AM
Sure, the big bang theory. God spoke and bang.

Sorry, it was obligatory.
#5JonWood007Posted 11/7/2012 8:58:52 AM
kts123 posted...
Sure, the big bang theory. God spoke and bang.

Sorry, it was obligatory.

So...God is a dragonborn?
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 5850 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#6Fingerpuppet(Topic Creator)Posted 11/7/2012 12:21:08 PM
13.7 billion years ago, the universe began expanding from an extremely energetic and dense state, near infinitesimal in size and definitely beyond than the Planck Energy. For reasons unknown, this 'point' expanded.* What followed was a period of inflation that ensures that our universe is flat, so that the value of omega (the critical density of the universe) is at or near zero (zero is the critical density.) If greater than zero (the critical density), the universe's expansion would eventually reverse and collapse back into a single point. If lower than zero (the critical density), then the universe's expansion would've rapidly ripped the matter and energy of universe far apart, which would prevented any galaxies from forming.

After this inflationary period (which ended around 10^(-32) seconds after the big bang), the universe was much larger than it was before; the scale of expansion is comparable to taking a strand of DNA and blowing it up to the size of our galaxy. However, the universe was dense enough for the energy to still be too great for anything to exist for long or even stay together - our protons and neutrons were broken apart into their constituent quarks and were not bound together. The universe was opaque and nothing could be seen, provided an observer was there.

As the universe expanded, the density decreased and therefore the density of energy decreased as well. The four forces of nature were distinct after 10^(-32) seconds, at which point the electroweak force broke into the electromagnetic and weak nuclear forces. It was at this time the particles of the universe also gained their mass (look up the Higgs Field for more information.) From this point on, the universe continued expanding and cooling until nuclei were able to form, and then atoms were able to form.

Parts of the universe were denser than others. These pockets of density eventually became superclusters, local clusters, and galaxies. Stars formed and went supernova, which created heavier elements. From the remnants of the supernovae formed new and much more stable stars, around which planets began to form due to these heavier elements. For reasons that are not quite understood, life began to form via natural processes on suitable planets which then evolved from simple life forms to more complex forms. Most life on these planets was wiped out by either drastic climate change or the loss of the planets' magnetic field (which deflects most cosmic rays that are harmful to life.) An incalculably small number of planets able to sustain life formed complex life, such as humans, and even fewer planets have survived long enough for life to be around today.

*Some reasons are as follows: some string theorists suggest that the point was tightly wrapped in one dimensional strings but the strings randomly broke (as they can and will do, assuming they exist), others will suggest a series of quantum fluctuations, which is where a low energy field randomly increased in energy at some point, but most scientists acknowledge that there is no way to know with any degree of certainty.
---
#7OrnitierIXPosted 11/7/2012 4:43:25 PM
13.7 billion years ago, the universe began expanding from an extremely energetic and dense state, near infinitesimal in size

But where did that small thing come from?
---
If only I could relieve my hunger by vigorously rubbing my belly...
#8CuddleWithClawsPosted 11/7/2012 6:39:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yytbDZrw1jc
---
There must be hope.
#9Fingerpuppet(Topic Creator)Posted 11/7/2012 7:49:02 PM
OrnitierIX posted...
13.7 billion years ago, the universe began expanding from an extremely energetic and dense state, near infinitesimal in size

I don't know, do you?
---
#10kts123Posted 11/8/2012 7:03:59 AM
Fingerpuppet posted...
OrnitierIX posted...

I don't know, do you?

That's just the formation of the currently observable universe. Which is fine to be unable to explain. Most level headed scientists will tell you, whatever happened prior to plank's length is ultimately educated speculation.