This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Must I explain the formation of the universe for the deniers?

#11Fingerpuppet(Topic Creator)Posted 11/8/2012 10:55:09 AM
kts123 posted...
Fingerpuppet posted...
OrnitierIX posted...
13.7 billion years ago, the universe began expanding from an extremely energetic and dense state, near infinitesimal in size

But where did that small thing come from?

I don't know, do you?

That's just the formation of the currently observable universe. Which is fine to be unable to explain. Most level headed scientists will tell you, whatever happened prior to plank's length is ultimately educated speculation.

That's the only thing that the Big Bang Theory explains and is the only thing that I cared to explain (that I didn't note was speculatory.)
---
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/214-paranormal-conspiracy/63352960#16
The greatest shut down ever.
#12CthulhuPosted 11/10/2012 4:27:30 PM
Upon the accidental contact between two of His noodley appendage, the universe sparked into existence, so sayeth the Flying Spaghetti Monster
#13Moorish_IdolPosted 11/10/2012 6:12:02 PM
Why is it okay to say "I don't know" when asked where the initial energy came from, but it's not okay to say "I don't know" when asked where God came from?
---
Ezekiel 23:20
#14Billy Bob JoePosted 11/10/2012 10:28:59 PM
Why is it okay to say "I don't know" when asked where the initial energy came from, but it's not okay to say "I don't know" when asked where God came from?

Because you're presupposing the existence of God with no evidence. We have evidence that there must have been some sort of initial energy, because the universe exists. We don't have any evidence that God exists.
---
Because ghosts are just trying to keep a brother down. Check your undead privilege ecto-scum. -Loshadt
IT'S LIKE HIS FACE IS LEAKING OUR FREEDOM -JohnnyTHM1212
#15Moorish_IdolPosted 11/11/2012 1:21:02 AM
Billy Bob Joe posted...

Because you're presupposing the existence of God with no evidence. We have evidence that there must have been some sort of initial energy, because the universe exists. We don't have any evidence that God exists.

Fair enough.

How do you explain away the supposition that God was the initial energy? If the initial energy is undefined (as far as its makeup and origin) then isn't it just as likely as not that it was God?

I'm not saying it was for a fact an act of God, but rather that the unknowability of the "initial cause" makes it equally plausible that it is God and that it isn't God.
---
Ezekiel 23:20
#16Billy Bob JoePosted 11/11/2012 3:06:19 AM
How do you explain away the supposition that God was the initial energy?

There's no need to explain away such a supposition because the burden of proof is on whoever proposes such an idea to prove it. If you have any shred of evidence that the starting point of the universe is an omnipotent being I'm certain the scientific community would be extremely excited to review it.

If the initial energy is undefined (as far as its makeup and origin) then isn't it just as likely as not that it was God?

How do you figure that? There aren't only two possibilities for the energy, "natural" and "supernatural". God is only one of a vast number of possibilities as to what was before the big bang.

I'm not saying it was for a fact an act of God, but rather that the unknowability of the "initial cause" makes it equally plausible that it is God and that it isn't God.

Again, you're committing the fallacy of assuming that the spark of the big bang is a binary thing. Even taking the assumption that before the big bang it was either "God" or "not God", how can you say that the only possibility under "God" is your god? There are hundreds, thousands, maybe even millions of deities which have been prayed to over the course of history, who is to say that it is not a forgotten god which caused the beginning of the universe?
---
Because ghosts are just trying to keep a brother down. Check your undead privilege ecto-scum. -Loshadt
IT'S LIKE HIS FACE IS LEAKING OUR FREEDOM -JohnnyTHM1212
#17FishyGoodness12Posted 11/11/2012 9:23:04 AM
kts123 posted...
Fingerpuppet posted...
OrnitierIX posted...
13.7 billion years ago, the universe began expanding from an extremely energetic and dense state, near infinitesimal in size

But where did that small thing come from?

I don't know, do you?

That's just the formation of the currently observable universe. Which is fine to be unable to explain. Most level headed scientists will tell you, whatever happened prior to plank's length is ultimately educated speculation.

AKA-God <3
#18SuibomPosted 11/11/2012 11:30:32 AM
JonWood007 posted...
kts123 posted...
Sure, the big bang theory. God spoke and bang.

Sorry, it was obligatory.

So...God is a dragonborn?

I lol'd

'Then God said, "Kun Morokai Kos!" And there was light.'
---
"Remember those who are in prison, as though in prison with them, and those who are mistreated, since you also are in the body." Hebrews 13:3 ESV
#19Fingerpuppet(Topic Creator)Posted 11/12/2012 9:58:15 PM
Moorish_Idol posted...
Billy Bob Joe posted...

Fair enough.

How do you explain away the supposition that God was the initial energy? If the initial energy is undefined (as far as its makeup and origin) then isn't it just as likely as not that it was God?

Any answer other than "I don't know" can be immediately rejected because it is unfalsifiable. When all answers are plausible, none of them may be accepted.
---
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/214-paranormal-conspiracy/63352960#16
The greatest shut down ever.