This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I'm calling you out, Marioguy5. Let's debate evolution and creationism

#1FingerpuppetPosted 11/8/2012 7:29:30 PM
You go first. Bring forth all of the scientific and peer reviewed evidence in support of creationism and I'll knock it down. Then I will present all of the scientific and peer reviewed evidence in support of evolution and provide you links to scholarly papers that prove what I'm saying.
---
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/214-paranormal-conspiracy/63352960#16
The greatest shut down ever.
#2JonWood007Posted 11/8/2012 8:08:50 PM
*Puts popcorn in the microwave*
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 5850 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#3chukie_suePosted 11/8/2012 8:43:31 PM
I feel like this is just a my dad can beat up your dad type of contest. It's not even a debate, but instead posting links.
---
"Christ is with those of humble mind, not with those who exalt themselves over his flock." -St. Clement of Rome.
#4Faust_8Posted 11/8/2012 8:48:20 PM
I think part of the point is to show to everyone that the only links Marioguy can supply are from armchair scientists and creationist websites.

Whereas we have the fossils, and the DNA, and the morphology, and the taxonomy, and the tests, and the unbiased objective truth.
---
The supernatural says that if you act a certain way you might avoid suffering. But reality says you came from the stars...
#5De EvolutionPosted 11/8/2012 9:08:58 PM
JonWood007 posted...

*grabs a blanket and cuddles up next to JonWood*

---
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
#6Julian_CaesarPosted 11/8/2012 9:20:58 PM
If you're so sure you're right, then what exactly is the point in this little charade? Other than to intentionally humiliate someone else? Based on your post, you clearly have no intention to calmly explain to this person why evolution and creationism are not mutually exclusive ideas. Rather, you WANT him to present his evidence so you can make yourself look bigger and better via "objective truth."

If he's been belligerent about creationism, then I kinda understand. Still...you never want to stoop to that level. You think it'll make you feel better or at least shut him up, but I can tell you from experience that neither of those things will happen in the long run :/
---
Every day the rest of your life is changed forever.
#7OrangeWizardPosted 11/8/2012 9:33:13 PM
JonWood007 posted...

*Puts on a Snuggie and cuddles up next to De Evolution*

Now I can eat his popcorn, AND stay warm! You can only do one or the other!

But seriously, the "creationist" argument is based off of God, not scientific peer-reviewed articles. You can't apply science to God.
---
Hi, I'm Larry the shivering chipmunk
Brr, I'm cold, I need a sweater.
#8Fingerpuppet(Topic Creator)Posted 11/8/2012 10:04:27 PM(edited)
Julian_Caesar posted...
If you're so sure you're right, then what exactly is the point in this little charade? Other than to intentionally humiliate someone else? Based on your post, you clearly have no intention to calmly explain to this person why evolution and creationism are not mutually exclusive ideas. Rather, you WANT him to present his evidence so you can make yourself look bigger and better via "objective truth."

If he's been belligerent about creationism, then I kinda understand. Still...you never want to stoop to that level. You think it'll make you feel better or at least shut him up, but I can tell you from experience that neither of those things will happen in the long run :/

1. The point is to prove him (or at least his position) wrong, as is the point in any debate.
2. That's not my intention, but if it happens as a result, then so be it.
3. Good, I'm glad that you gathered that the point is not to explain why the two ideas are different. Anyone with complex cognitive processes would've figured that out.
4. Your keyboard psychology (taken from House and The Mentalist, I suspect) has failed you here. The reason I want him to present evidence for his idea is that that I can a) show that there is no merit in the idea of creationism and b) show that evolution is a fact that people are foolish to deny. However, I'm willing to bet your response to this point will involve something about me having a huge but fragile ego. Am I in the ball park here?
5. It's hard to stoop to his level because I don't make ridiculous claims. If I ever say something that is outlandish or unproven (such as the case where I explain the initial point from which the universe expanded from), then I make it clear that I'm not using any facts.
6. Again, your keyboard psychology fails you. I feel good enough as it is (my cold medicine has really improved my nasal congestion and has gotten me high enough not to care about my headache.)
7. I do agree with you here. However, the purpose of any debate is not to change the mind of the other person (science has shown that this is near impossible) but rather to convince people who are on the fence.

OrangeWizard posted...
JonWood007 posted...

*Puts on a Snuggie and cuddles up next to De Evolution*

Now I can eat his popcorn, AND stay warm! You can only do one or the other!

But seriously, the "creationist" argument is based off of God, not scientific peer-reviewed articles. You can't apply science to God.

And I agree with you. However, it's probably for a different reason.

EDIT: I kind of wish I weren't the one debating. That couch looks miiighty comfortable right now.
---
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/214-paranormal-conspiracy/63352960#16
The greatest shut down ever.
#9Lord_IchmaelPosted 11/8/2012 10:03:13 PM(edited)
I've already been debating it with him for months. Well, that and the existence of God.
#10ryan0991Posted 11/8/2012 11:10:15 PM
This topic is relevant to my interests.
---
http://gamercard.xbox360achievements.org/x360a-1/BOBtheMASTER.png
Could care less = you care at least somewhat. Couldn't care less = you don't care at all.