This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I'm calling you out, Marioguy5. Let's debate evolution and creationism

#11BashyMcFetusPosted 11/9/2012 1:13:44 AM
OrangeWizard posted...
Now I can eat his popcorn, AND stay warm! You can only do one or the other!

I gotta admit, that's actually pretty funny.
---
By Evolution, I mean Evolution. As in "I look different from my parents because of evolution" ~OrangeWizard
#12Julian_CaesarPosted 11/9/2012 8:28:40 AM
7. I do agree with you here. However, the purpose of any debate is not to change the mind of the other person (science has shown that this is near impossible) but rather to convince people who are on the fence.

I've never believed this for a second. My mind has been changed dozens of times over from debates, mostly on this board (and/or Cotton, etc). I think it's more correct to say that debates will not change the mind of a person who refuses to have their mind changed.
---
Every day the rest of your life is changed forever.
#13Marioguy5Posted 11/9/2012 8:33:02 PM
Well, I'm willing, on some special conditions.
-Not constant. As in, I don't want it to take all my time away. It would be fairly casual.
-As little rudeness as possible. Last time I tried talking to you ended in a fistfight.
-No teaming up. I don't want it to be me vs.100 atheists. If people start ganging up on me a large amount, or I get treated overly rudely, I will leave the debate.
-You have to actually listen. The point of a debate is for two people or teams to try convincing the others. I'm willing and open to listen, you must be too.
-Few links as possible. They can provide good arguments, but I want it to be between us!

I know, tough rules, but I think you can manage. Also, I would like to officially announce that I am not a young-earth creationist anymore. I'm not necessarily Old-Earth, but I'm in that direction. It seems the logical conclusion, really.
---
If you are a Christian and 110% proud of it, put this as your signature.
If you are interested in science, check out the work of Dr. Carl Werner.
#14Marioguy5Posted 11/9/2012 8:34:51 PM
And yeah, Ichmael and I have been having a huge debate :P He can join in if he wants, he's always nice to me.
---
#15CuddleWithClawsPosted 11/9/2012 8:58:08 PM
Was this agreed to in another topic? Because if not, and if I were Mario, I'd laugh heartily and ignore you.
---
There must be hope.
#16Marioguy5Posted 11/9/2012 9:01:40 PM
CuddleWithClaws posted...
Was this agreed to in another topic? Because if not, and if I were Mario, I'd laugh heartily and ignore you.

He contacted me.
---
#17Marioguy5Posted 11/9/2012 9:02:43 PM
Oh yeah, I think I found your evil plot. I give evidence, you try to refute it, then you provide evidence. When do I get to try refuting what you say?
---
#18Fingerpuppet(Topic Creator)Posted 11/9/2012 9:23:54 PM
Marioguy5 posted...
Well, I'm willing, on some special conditions.
-Not constant. As in, I don't want it to take all my time away. It would be fairly casual.
-As little rudeness as possible. Last time I tried talking to you ended in a fistfight.
-No teaming up. I don't want it to be me vs.100 atheists. If people start ganging up on me a large amount, or I get treated overly rudely, I will leave the debate.
-You have to actually listen. The point of a debate is for two people or teams to try convincing the others. I'm willing and open to listen, you must be too.
-Few links as possible. They can provide good arguments, but I want it to be between us!

I know, tough rules, but I think you can manage. Also, I would like to officially announce that I am not a young-earth creationist anymore. I'm not necessarily Old-Earth, but I'm in that direction. It seems the logical conclusion, really.

-Casualty is fine.
-Be sure to follow this rule and don't be condescending (as you are prone to do [see what I did there? Condescending.])
-That won't happen as long as you don't completely mess something up and must be corrected
-You have to listen to my refutation to your point
-As many links will be provided as are necessary to prove what is being claimed is a fact

As an addendum to the above rules, you have to clearly state your position because I will not debate a ghost position. My position is strictly by-the-book, or whatever passes for it these days.

Marioguy5 posted...
Oh yeah, I think I found your evil plot. I give evidence, you try to refute it, then you provide evidence. When do I get to try refuting what you say?

Whenever you want, although I assume that the people here are tired of seeing the same old shtick again.
---
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/214-paranormal-conspiracy/63352960#16
The greatest shut down ever.
#19Marioguy5Posted 11/9/2012 10:03:45 PM(edited)
What do you mean by my position? Don't you know? I'm a non-denominational, Christian creationist.
And I think this will be interesting. I promise that I will pay attention to what you say so long as you do the same to what I say. And links are good occasionally, but don't abuse them. I don't want a battle of links. Also, some of my arguments are fairly newly thought up, so it may be hard for me to find tons of links on those. I also want to MAKE SURE you realize that I won't tolerate intolerance (is that intolerant?). I don't want to be hearing name calling. I can and will abandon this debate if it devolves into a war. Finally, I would request that it be a little more back and forth, not just I lay down everything, then you lay down everything.
Are you ready to begin?
---
#20Marioguy5Posted 11/9/2012 10:07:23 PM
Actually, I'm going to bed now. Here at least, it's midnight, and I'm tired.
I hope this debate works out. I think that I could use some more intellectuals such as yourself on my team, so I hope I can convince you! Or at least have an interesting conversation :P
---