This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I'm calling you out, Marioguy5. Let's debate evolution and creationism

#31Marioguy5Posted 11/10/2012 8:37:36 PM
ave1 posted...
Im a Creationist & I'm willing to help out :) Let's get em...

Thanks! Your help is greatly appreciated. If fingerpuppet ever arrives >_>
---
If you are a Christian and 110% proud of it, put this as your signature.
If you are interested in science, check out the work of Dr. Carl Werner.
#32FlashOfLightPosted 11/10/2012 9:54:14 PM
chukie_sue posted...
I feel like this is just a my dad can beat up your dad type of contest. It's not even a debate, but instead posting links.

This is gang warfare! STOP the violence NOW!
---
And out of this crust, put out your thrust, do what you must, try not to rust, as you turn to dust.
#33ThuggernautzPosted 11/12/2012 7:26:06 AM
ave1 posted...
Im a Creationist & I'm willing to help out :) Let's get em...

Oh good. I'm willing to point out your lies again, too.
#34C_MatPosted 11/12/2012 10:31:42 AM
Marioguy5 posted...
Well, I'm willing, on some special conditions.
-As little rudeness as possible. Last time I tried talking to you ended in a fistfight.
-No teaming up. I don't want it to be me vs.100 atheists. If people start ganging up on me a large amount, or I get treated overly rudely, I will leave the debate.
-You have to actually listen. The point of a debate is for two people or teams to try convincing the others. I'm willing and open to listen, you must be too.
-Few links as possible. They can provide good arguments, but I want it to be between us!

I know, tough rules, but I think you can manage. Also, I would like to officially announce that I am not a young-earth creationist anymore. I'm not necessarily Old-Earth, but I'm in that direction. It seems the logical conclusion, really.

This is a good list of rules to stick to! I recently debated Fingerpuppet and was enjoying it, but then he started using God's name in vain and insulting me. I told him to stop or that would be the end of the debate, and he called me stupid again in his very next post. If someone can't be mature enough to have a discussion instead of a fight, I don't even try to reason with them, because I'm not here to have fights. And if Fingerpuppet would apologize for being rude, I'd be happy to pick that conversation up again.

And I agree that it's also a good idea to not even respond to someone who jumps into the middle of a discussion/debate you're already having with someone else. I should copy this list and paste it into every topic where I get into a debate.
---
http://youtu.be/gmnSnNC8UJk
#35Faust_8Posted 11/12/2012 10:59:05 AM
To be fair, sometimes it seems like any time your beliefs aren't respected, it's "rude."

Except we don't have to respect your beliefs. We only have to respect your right to have them. Beliefs in and of themselves don't deserve respect. They have to at least be shown to be possibly valid.

For example, you really think we respected FlashOfLight's belief that the earth is the center of the solar system? (He seriously admitted this.) You really think we were able to treat him with the same respect we'd give to someone else when we're debating something else that is not evidently false?

If someone is being illogical and spouting falsehoods, it's really hard to stay absolutely respectful the entire time. Not saying that's what you were doing, but it might be what he was thinking. But someone telling you that a proven fact is wrong because of their conviction that it's wrong is not someone you can HAVE a respectful debate with. So if do that in the future, don't suddenly jump on the "oh you insulted me, that means I can cop out." (That's how we see it, unfortunately.)

It's one thing to debate something where neither side is really sure what the truth is. It's a whole other thing when one side has all the facts and the other side is just finding various ways to say "nuh uh!"

Again, I'm speaking only generally here, not about you. I really don't know what happened between you and fingerpuppet. What I've said applies to a lot of people.
---
The supernatural says that if you act a certain way you might avoid suffering. But reality says you came from the stars...
#36ThuggernautzPosted 11/12/2012 11:07:05 AM
C_Mat posted...

This is a good list of rules to stick to! I recently debated Fingerpuppet and was enjoying it, but then he started using God's name in vain and insulting me. I told him to stop or that would be the end of the debate, and he called me stupid again in his very next post. If someone can't be mature enough to have a discussion instead of a fight, I don't even try to reason with them, because I'm not here to have fights. And if Fingerpuppet would apologize for being rude, I'd be happy to pick that conversation up again.

And I agree that it's also a good idea to not even respond to someone who jumps into the middle of a discussion/debate you're already having with someone else. I should copy this list and paste it into every topic where I get into a debate.

I'm sorry, but if your criteria involves NOT providing evidence to back up what you're saying, then what the hell is the point? You could just make up any old ****. I think the real reason why you don't want to provide links in a written debate is because you don't have any that support a scientific theory of creationism. In fact, I can almost guarantee what will happen is Marioguy/ave spending their whole time trying to poke holes in evolution/geology without ever offering any documented evidence to support creationism. Call me a prophet.
#37MatamoriPosted 11/12/2012 5:33:26 PM
I find it humorous that we have spent 37 messages and the debate has not even started.
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior and you're not ashamed, put this in your signature.
#38OrangeWizardPosted 11/12/2012 5:50:46 PM
This is the most enthralling debate ever. I am on the edge of my seat. Does my chair even have a back?? I wouldn't know.
---
Hi, I'm Larry the shivering chipmunk
Brr, I'm cold, I need a sweater.
#39MatamoriPosted 11/12/2012 5:54:19 PM
What will happen next????? But really, where is the dude?
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior and you're not ashamed, put this in your signature.
#40Cloud_6671Posted 11/12/2012 6:05:03 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]