This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Fellow Christians: Should we pray for Satan?

#11FlashOfLightPosted 11/12/2012 2:42:51 AM
Biblically speaking, we know that Satan was in Herod, Peter, and Judas.

Out of those three, Judas was the most condemned, Herod was second, and Peter received the most Grace.

Herod yet had a time to repent, and to admit the truth, he ultimately chose not to.

Peter turned from his fear, and went on to have a firm faith.

This is what the Scripture says - 1John 5:16-17

"If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.
All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death."

And also 2Thes 2:8-12 which gets into more detail -

"And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming:

Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders,

And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.

And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:
That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness."

Obviously Satan can't go on to believe the truth, when he himself is the main enemy against it, so likewise -

2Tim 3:8

"Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith."

If man, which is weak, is consumed with pride and his own delusions of grandeur, how much more Satan who was made of perfect beauty?

Pharoah yet pursued after the children of Israel after his land was struck with all manner of plagues including the death of his firstborn, Satan is of like manner and much more exceeding.
---
And out of this crust, put out your thrust, do what you must, try not to rust, as you turn to dust.
#12FlashOfLightPosted 11/12/2012 2:46:14 AM
Anyway, you can pray for man, even as Daniel prayed for Nebuchadnezzar, who was a corrupt king, but you may not pray for devils, of whom Satan is chief.
---
And out of this crust, put out your thrust, do what you must, try not to rust, as you turn to dust.
#13NoTitleRequiredPosted 11/12/2012 4:10:42 AM
http://www.johnsanidopoulos.com/2010/10/monastics-even-pray-for-demons.html

"Once a monk felt much pain and, while he was kneeling at prayer, he said the following: 'You are God and, if You want, You can find a way to save these miserable demons who first enjoyed such great glory, but now are full of all the evilness and cunning of the world. Without Your protection, they would have devoured all human beings.' While he was saying these words, praying in pain, he saw a dog's head next to him sticking out his tongue and mocking him. It seems that God allowed for this to happen in order to inform the monk that He is ready to accept the demons provided they repent, but they themselves do not want their salvation."

We know from other stories of Elder Paisios that he is likely here talking about himself, since he later confessed that he once fasted and prayed for two weeks for the salvation of the devil, but the devil appeared to him after all that and merely mocked him.

---
Taste the fountain of immortality.
http://i43.tinypic.com/iqehc6.jpg
#14AdmiralBisonPosted 11/12/2012 4:28:05 AM(edited)
Silviiro posted...
I've done it. Even if something is pointless there is no harm in trying.

There's no point.

It's all part of gods plan.
How it starts, how it's going and how it will end for the fallen angel that he created.

However Christians remember the decision and and judgement is left to the one on top so apart from praying as an exercise in forgiveness and mercy for the believer of the righteous over the wicked, it will have no effect.

---
If delusions and Illusions are an en-escapable part of our entire lives, why not just pick a positive one?
#15AdmiralBisonPosted 11/12/2012 4:26:37 AM
Hustle Kong posted...
There is something very unappealing to me about a religion that holds that there is even one sentient being beyond salvation.

It's good to use the words like "antichrist, devil, satan, heretic, evil... " etc as they hold a lot of political and emotional baggage against adversaries, enemies and potential threats to you or your dictatorship.
---
If delusions and Illusions are an en-escapable part of our entire lives, why not just pick a positive one?
#16AdmiralBisonPosted 11/12/2012 4:33:51 AM
Actually here's a question Christians could answer for me.

Since god or Jesus answer prayers.

Could one pray for god to forgive Satan the Devil and not send him to hell for eternity and simply smother him with that ultimate and pure love that he is so described?

This would be a sincere prayer of course.

Also no silly answers like.

"Jesus or God answers prayers and their answer was NO."
---
#17IndoriPosted 11/12/2012 8:27:36 AM
AdmiralBison posted...
Actually here's a question Christians could answer for me.

Since god or Jesus answer prayers.

Could one pray for god to forgive Satan the Devil and not send him to hell for eternity and simply smother him with that ultimate and pure love that he is so described?

This would be a sincere prayer of course.

Also no silly answers like.

"Jesus or God answers prayers and their answer was NO."

The classic contention to this idea is that God can only forgive the sins of those who earnestly seek forgiveness. Satan is the way he is by his own choosing, and he isn't going to change his mind.
---
Me? I'm the king of the twentieth century.
I'm the bogeyman. The villain.
#18LastManStandingPosted 11/12/2012 9:53:02 AM
No - pray for those whom Satan devoured in sin
---
Divine Mercy - God Loves you
You will know them by their fruits says the Lord
#19SuibomPosted 11/12/2012 11:17:52 AM
Inasmuch then as the children have partaken of flesh and blood, He Himself likewise shared in the same, that through death He might destroy him who had the power of death, that is, the devil, and release those who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage. For indeed He does not give aid to angels, but He does give aid to the seed of Abraham. Therefore, in all things He had to be made like His brethren, that He might be a merciful and faithful High Priest in things pertaining to God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people. For in that He Himself has suffered, being tempted, He is able to aid those who are tempted. (Hebrews 2:14-18 NKJV)

And in other translations:

For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham. (Hebrews 2:16 KJV)

For, as we all know, He [Christ] did not take hold of angels [the fallen angels, to give them a helping and delivering hand], but He did take hold of [the fallen] descendants of Abraham [to reach out to them a helping and delivering hand]. (Hebrews 2:16 AMP)

Of course, he isnít trying to help angels, but rather heís helping Abrahamís descendants. (Hebrews 2:16 CEB)

For surely it was not malachim that concerned him, but the zera Avraham Avinu. (Yehudim in Moshiach 2:16 OJB)

There is no channel of redemption for fallen angels, at least through Christ there isn't. Jesus isn't concerned with their redemption, He didn't come in their image, their nature, He doesn't offer them aid.

They cannot be redeemed and they're incapable of repentance.
---
"Remember those who are in prison, as though in prison with them, and those who are mistreated, since you also are in the body." Hebrews 13:3 ESV
#20hamsandwich3141Posted 11/12/2012 11:42:45 AM
CuddleWithClaws posted...
I used to think that this absolutely WASN'T the case, but then I thought some more about it. Most people who repent of a thing, do so because there is some kind of impetus that compels or motivates them. Satan doesn't have anything like that. He doesn't give a fig about the love of God - he already knew about it and experienced it full-well, and it clearly wasn't his thing.

So are you for or against praying for atheists who used to be Christian?
---
I only have a signature so I can type my posts in CAPS LOCK.