This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Fellow Christians: Should we pray for Satan?

#21TheRealJiraiyaPosted 11/12/2012 12:14:39 PM
I believe in the Christian Satan but... I feel like he is given kind of a strawman nonpersonality by modern Christianity... and I feel like, although I know nothing about it, it has to be more complex than that.

Some day, I imagine, Ill meet him
---
"If a man does not know to what port he is sailing, no wind is favorable" -Seneca
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt
#22ThuggernautzPosted 11/12/2012 12:22:40 PM
TheRealJiraiya posted...

Some day, I imagine, Ill meet him

Even though I don't believe in it, I don't believe or hope that's true.
#23FlashOfLightPosted 11/12/2012 2:33:58 PM
AdmiralBison posted...
Since god or Jesus answer prayers.

Could one pray for god to forgive Satan the Devil and not send him to hell for eternity and simply smother him with that ultimate and pure love that he is so described?

This would be a sincere prayer of course.

"Jesus or God answers prayers and their answer was NO."

Look, the Scriptures teach that it is a detestable thing to even wish someone well who brings in a false doctrine (that goes particularly to Mormons), so it is by no means a righteous thing to pray for Satan, who has far surpassed the point of reconciliation.

2John 1:10-11

"If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:
For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds."

God is clear on the matter Isa 48:22 "There is no peace, saith the LORD, unto the wicked."

2Kings 9:22 "And it came to pass, when Joram saw Jehu, that he said, Is it peace, Jehu? And he answered, What peace, so long as the whoredoms of thy mother Jezebel and her witchcrafts are so many?"
---
And out of this crust, put out your thrust, do what you must, try not to rust, as you turn to dust.
#24ThuggernautzPosted 11/12/2012 3:14:34 PM
Scumbag God. Creates Satan for a purpose, punishes him eternally for it.
#25CuddleWithClawsPosted 11/12/2012 3:15:43 PM
So are you for or against praying for atheists who used to be Christian?

I'm not a Christian, but I feel your question is moot anyway. Whether I'm for it or not has absolutely no bearing on whether or not it has any effect. I'm totally for a Christian's right to do so, at any rate.
---
There must be hope.
#26Burning_WolfXPosted 11/12/2012 4:18:43 PM
FlashOfLight posted...
Look, the Scriptures teach that it is a detestable thing to even wish someone well who brings in a false doctrine (that goes particularly to Mormons), so it is by no means a righteous thing to pray for Satan, who has far surpassed the point of reconciliation.

2John 1:10-11

"If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:
For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds."

You're misinterpreting that passage. What 2 John 1;10-11 is REALLY saying, is that encouraging someone to sin makes you responsible for that person's sin as well. However, there is nothing wrong at all with praying that they repent. Recall the words of Christ:

Matthew 5:44 But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you

So of course we can pray for them. But we cannot encourage them in their sin.
---
Sometimes I'd like to ask God why He allows poverty, suffering, and injustice when He could do something about it. But Im afraid He'd ask me the same thing.
#27SuibomPosted 11/12/2012 4:46:41 PM
Wolf, how in the world did you get that interpretation from that passage?!

I don't disagree with what you said, but that isn't what that passage is talking about at all. Flash's use of that passage is spot on.
---
"Remember those who are in prison, as though in prison with them, and those who are mistreated, since you also are in the body." Hebrews 13:3 ESV
#28chukie_suePosted 11/12/2012 4:59:05 PM
This seems like a concise and sufficient article:

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/2011/09/30/feedback-pray-for-satan
---
"Christ is with those of humble mind, not with those who exalt themselves over his flock." -St. Clement of Rome.
#29Burning_WolfXPosted 11/12/2012 5:29:33 PM
Suibom posted...
Wolf, how in the world did you get that interpretation from that passage?!

I don't disagree with what you said, but that isn't what that passage is talking about at all. Flash's use of that passage is spot on.

Look carefully at verse 11: For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds.

To wish someone "Godspeed" is to wish them success in their endeavors. If we wish someone "Godspeed" with sinful endeavors, then that is the same as saying that we wish that they may continue in their sin. And by doing so, we are "partaker of his evil deeds," by encouraging them to sin further, and our wishing them well provides them support and a continued drive to persist in their ways.

FlashofLight said correctly that it is wrong to wish that those with false doctrines be successful in spreading their error, and in that sense, we agree in how 2 John 1:10-11 should be interpreted. However, we differ in how we extrapolate that passage.

FlashofLight seems to be saying that we should not pray for those who are in error, or for those who lead others astray. I, however, take a far different stance.

You cannot tell me that we shouldn't pray for the repentance of those who deceive/those who are in error. Of course we should pray for their repentance and conversion! Their salvation is in danger, and they could drag others down with them. We must not support them in their false endeavors, but we should by all means do whatever we can to help them come to their senses and repent.

Praying for Satan may be a different kettle of fish, since he's had a couple thousand years to repent, but he hasn't yet. But our fellow men, who are still capable of repentance if they would just wake up? Should we not pray for them? Does Christ not offer them salvation as well?
---
Sometimes I'd like to ask God why He allows poverty, suffering, and injustice when He could do something about it. But Im afraid He'd ask me the same thing.
#30hamsandwich3141Posted 11/12/2012 5:47:28 PM
CuddleWithClaws posted...
So are you for or against praying for atheists who used to be Christian?

I'm not a Christian, but I feel your question is moot anyway. Whether I'm for it or not has absolutely no bearing on whether or not it has any effect. I'm totally for a Christian's right to do so, at any rate.

I just wondered if you considered those people unredeemable like Satan, but since you're not Christian never mind.
---
I only have a signature so I can type my posts in CAPS LOCK.