This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Fellow Christians: Should we pray for Satan?

#31SuibomPosted 11/12/2012 5:51:36 PM
That passage is talking about one thing: doctrine.

If a Jaydub or a Mormon came to my door, the truest application of that scripture is to not invite them in, nor to wish them well in their endeavors. To not validate their message in any way.

I agree that approving of someone's sin is a bad thing to do, but that passage is in no way talking about that at all.

It's talking about how to treat one who is spreading false doctrine.
---
"Remember those who are in prison, as though in prison with them, and those who are mistreated, since you also are in the body." Hebrews 13:3 ESV
#32SilviiroPosted 11/12/2012 5:52:18 PM
There's no point.

It's all part of gods plan.
How it starts, how it's going and how it will end for the fallen angel that he created.

Jesus prayed "let this cup pass from me" knowing that it would not. Sometimes you have to pray even knowing the answer will be "no."
---
"I have seen everything that is done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and a striving after wind." -- Ecclesiastes 1:14
#33Burning_WolfXPosted 11/12/2012 8:14:17 PM
Suibom posted...
That passage is talking about one thing: doctrine.

If a Jaydub or a Mormon came to my door, the truest application of that scripture is to not invite them in, nor to wish them well in their endeavors. To not validate their message in any way.

I agree that approving of someone's sin is a bad thing to do, but that passage is in no way talking about that at all.

It's talking about how to treat one who is spreading false doctrine.

To be honest, I'm quite sure we're saying the exact same thing here.
---
Sometimes I'd like to ask God why He allows poverty, suffering, and injustice when He could do something about it. But Im afraid He'd ask me the same thing.
#34FingerpuppetPosted 11/12/2012 9:05:43 PM
toxicpie posted...
If the Bible tells us to love our enemy, and Satan is our greatest enemy, does that not mean we should forgive Satan the most? I've been mulling this over for a week now and I'm not sure if it is right or not...
God bless. =}

Why would someone be your enemy if they're only trying to see who is truly faithful?
---
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/214-paranormal-conspiracy/63352960#16
The greatest shut down ever.
#35SuibomPosted 11/12/2012 9:38:19 PM
Burning_WolfX posted...

You're misinterpreting that passage. What 2 John 1;10-11 is REALLY saying, is that encouraging someone to sin makes you responsible for that person's sin as well. However, there is nothing wrong at all with praying that they repent. Recall the words of Christ:

Matthew 5:44 But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you

So of course we can pray for them. But we cannot encourage them in their sin.

We're definitely not saying the same thing.

Not even remotely close.
---
"Remember those who are in prison, as though in prison with them, and those who are mistreated, since you also are in the body." Hebrews 13:3 ESV
#36Polish_CrusaderPosted 11/13/2012 4:13:16 PM
Fingerpuppet posted...
toxicpie posted...
If the Bible tells us to love our enemy, and Satan is our greatest enemy, does that not mean we should forgive Satan the most? I've been mulling this over for a week now and I'm not sure if it is right or not...
God bless. =}

Why would someone be your enemy if they're only trying to see who is truly faithful?

-You fundamentally do not know how evil works. Satan does not want friends. There is nothing we can do to get on his good side. He tortures anyone that gets in his "kingdom". Even his own follwers on earth and they get it much worse. Just try to imagine pure evil that centers around selfishness, hate, and lies. You might just imagine half of what the devil actually is.
#37Burning_WolfXPosted 11/13/2012 7:14:25 PM(edited)
Suibom posted...

Not even remotely close.

How are we not? We're both agreed that we cannot encourage those who are spreading false doctrine, and likewise we cannot encourage those living lives of sin.

Or are you saying that we shouldn't pray for the repentance of those who are in error or sin?
---
Sometimes I'd like to ask God why He allows poverty, suffering, and injustice when He could do something about it. But Im afraid He'd ask me the same thing.
#38CuddleWithClawsPosted 11/13/2012 7:42:37 PM
Although, even given my previous post, I'm not certain anyone is in a fit state to say what Satan's interests are. He's the loser of the proverbial war in Christian belief and thus does not get his say.

Entertaining the thought of a sympathetic Satan does kind of have an appeal, but I'd still be innately distrustful of him.

This is why I like the Dresden Files so much (SPOILER ALERT). Even though in the book people say that Fallen Angels are inherently bad, they are able to split their existence into multiple "shades" of themselves which can determine their own morality. The idea of any person being so two-dimensional that they can so easily be sorted as "good" or "evil" is just repugnant to me.
---
There must be hope.
#39JigglysaintPosted 11/13/2012 7:49:45 PM
I can understand the feelings that Satan must have, and why he would want to destroy as many souls as possible. As I see it, he sees my desire to believe in and serve God as the stupid choice. I bet in some strange way, and given the chance, he would have me believe that he was actually saving me from some sort of hell.

I know Satan is irremable, but I know that's how he would prefer it. Satan didn't just make a terrible mistake and got kicked out. He honestly despised God(if Satan could do anything honestly) and wanted His throne. Last time I checked people don't normally pray for a usurper to overtake a throne unless it was a corrupt king that was plaguing the people.

In fact, the entire thing is just politics. You might as well just swap God and Satan with the two different American parties.
#40SuibomPosted 11/14/2012 6:37:53 AM
Burning_WolfX posted...
Suibom posted...

Not even remotely close.

How are we not? We're both agreed that we cannot encourage those who are spreading false doctrine, and likewise we cannot encourage those living lives of sin.

Or are you saying that we shouldn't pray for the repentance of those who are in error or sin?

No. I'm saying using that scripture to support your point of not encouraging sin is wrong. It's a misapplication of it.

1 Timothy 5:22 and Romans 1:32 would be better used.

And no, I'm not saying we shouldn't pray for those in error. I never said anything like that.
---