This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How many of you left religion and miss it?

#11CuddleWithClawsPosted 11/13/2012 7:59:43 PM
More improper use of the word "reason" in this topic, it seems. Still working on the logic and reasoning primer topic for this board.

The god of the bible has more reason than anything else. Do his will and you will get into heaven. Just like capitalism, except a lot less suffering and everybody gets rewards.

I don't think anyone on this board but you buys into anything even remotely resembling Pascal's Wager.
---
There must be hope.
#12OzymandiasIVPosted 11/13/2012 8:02:42 PM
I don't miss a thing about it. I never cared much for Church. It was full of boring people, and even though I genuinely believed back then, I was never comfortable talking about my beliefs, even with fellow like-minded Christians.

I'm much happier without religion in my life.
---
Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sort of good at something.
#13OzymandiasIVPosted 11/13/2012 8:04:19 PM
From: Polish_Crusader | Posted: 11/13/2012 7:10:50 PM | #010
The god of the bible has more reason than anything else. Do his will and you will get into heaven. Just like capitalism, except a lot less suffering and everybody gets rewards.

Well, that's an outright lie.
---
Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sort of good at something.
#14Sir WillPosted 11/14/2012 8:21:31 AM
Not in the slightest.
---
River Song: Well, I was off to this gay gypsy bar mitzvah for the disabled when I thought 'Gosh, the Third Reich's a bit rubbish, I think i'll kill the Fuhrer'
#15sthaterPosted 11/18/2012 10:41:26 PM
In all honesty I would really have to say no. My own personal experience was extremely negative and marked by a great deal of distrust and indifference. And honestly now that I have left that I have yet to feel any reason or compulsion to even try to revisit or seriously consider any religion. Not because I think every single religious person is mean but it really just doesn't hold any sway over me.
---
We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
#16JonWood007Posted 11/18/2012 10:44:25 PM
Some parts yes, some parts no. The feeling of some benevolent being in control and looking out for us I miss (ie, comfort), some other aspects of the religion, no.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 5850 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#17darklaoPosted 11/19/2012 12:36:28 AM
I miss singing hymns in church. Pretty much everything else I very much don't miss.
---
[agitprop]
come and play come and play forget about the movement
#18Blue_Dream87Posted 11/19/2012 3:01:58 AM
I never considered myself Buddhist or Baha'i, but I did involve myself in both faiths when I was younger. Attended Buddhist devotions in High School and was taught about Buddhism & Taoism by one of the nuns at the monastery. Found it very centering, and eventually rekindled my belief in (a) God. Helped me out in a time of great mental strife.

I really miss the Baha'i community in Austin. Nicest people I've ever met, and I wasn't the only one in the youth group who didn't commit to the Faith. Absorbed a lot of the compassion from the other youth (young adults, really), became optimistic, and learned more about the teachings of different religions. Unfortunately I moved back home to California, and the Baha'i community here isn't all that popular.

I'd love to return to some religious community to learn more about the world and myself spiritually. Just don't have the time or know of any places to attend.
---
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l1/Dwarkyzidez/deeath.jpg
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l1/Dwarkyzidez/sloth.png
#19OrangeWizardPosted 11/19/2012 6:19:52 AM
More improper use of the word "reason" in this topic, it seems. Still working on the logic and reasoning primer topic for this board.

Please do
---
Hi, I'm Larry the shivering chipmunk
Brr, I'm cold, I need a sweater.
#20hunter_gohanPosted 11/20/2012 3:22:56 PM
I miss those little wafers they gave you during communion. I wish they sold those at the supermarket.
---
Fundamentalism in a nut shell: Raphael: It's God's will. Castiel: How can you say that?! Raphael: Because it's what I want!