This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What happens if I go to heaven and my wife to hell?

#1FreeThinkingApePosted 11/13/2012 11:00:51 AM
Cause personally it won't be heaven unless my wife is there...
---
http://i.imgur.com/5VGqT.jpg
To be a normal person in a sick world is to be sick yourself.
#2kozlo100Posted 11/13/2012 11:17:52 AM
Coincidentally, this question, and the philosophical and theological issues relating to it, are where my personal path to atheism began. Of course it's not the only reason I'm atheist now, not even a primary one I'd say, but it was the first question I asked that I couldn't find a sufficient answer for.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#3TheRealJiraiyaPosted 11/13/2012 11:28:41 AM
kozlo100 posted...
Coincidentally, this question, and the philosophical and theological issues relating to it, are where my personal path to atheism began. Of course it's not the only reason I'm atheist now, not even a primary one I'd say, but it was the first question I asked that I couldn't find a sufficient answer for.

What do you think of annihilationism? Surely you could live if your wife was merely dead - at some point, you may have to do so anyway
---
"If a man does not know to what port he is sailing, no wind is favorable" -Seneca
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt
#4ThuggernautzPosted 11/13/2012 11:33:25 AM
TheRealJiraiya posted...

What do you think of annihilationism? Surely you could live if your wife was merely dead - at some point, you may have to do so anyway

For me, being eternally alive while knowing my loved one(s) were eternally dead would still be torturous.
#5chukie_suePosted 11/13/2012 11:40:07 AM(edited)
I suppose it will be similar to how God can continue to be all-sufficient in Himself (which includes being happy and free of the imperfection of sadness) with the fact that those He loved and desired to be saved are in Hell. I don't know.

But I do know it is a horrific underestimation of God's glory to think that the omnipotent,omniscient "Man of Sorrows, acquainted with suffering" (Is53), is not capable of preparing inconceivable riches (1Corinthians 2:9), fullness of joy, and pleasures evermore (Psalm 16:11) for those who love Him.

People perceive Hell as a place of perpetual torture. But few people have any accurate perception of what it is. It is real, it is spoken of all the time in the Bible, but our image of Hell has largely been formed by our cultures.
---
"Christ is with those of humble mind, not with those who exalt themselves over his flock." -St. Clement of Rome.
#6kozlo100Posted 11/13/2012 11:47:16 AM
TheRealJiraiya posted...

It's better, since I wouldn't have to live with the knowledge that she was actively suffering. However, I've still got some issue in her ceasing to exist when she didn't have to. Heaven forbid I should outlive my wife, but while I will be forced to live with it if I do, it won't be in any kind of a state of bliss. I can only think the same would be true in any kind of afterlife she is not present in.

You can go from there to me gaining some kind of understanding I can make peace with that, in fact, she does have to be nonexistent, but it's awfully hard to speculate about the effect of information that nobody currently knows.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#7ForsakenHermitPosted 11/13/2012 11:49:14 AM(edited)
One thing that turns me off from Christianity is the idea that you don't feel any different about your wife than some random Christian woman in heaven.
---
I will close this account if Final Fantasy XV is announced to be for either the Vita or 3DS.
Fire Yoichi Wada
#8SirThinkALotPosted 11/13/2012 12:34:53 PM
ForsakenHermit posted...
One thing that turns me off from Christianity is the idea that you don't feel any different about your wife than some random Christian woman in heaven.

I'm a little confused as to what you are saying...could you explain better?
---
Learn real history and economics at liberty Classroom
http://www.libertyclassroom.com/dap/a/?a=1305
#9JonWood007Posted 11/13/2012 12:39:52 PM
Since Christ is supposed to be #1 in your life above all things, it shouldn't matter I think is the correct Christian answer.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 5850 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#10LastManStandingPosted 11/13/2012 12:42:51 PM
Work with your wife that she may also pick heaven on judgment day. Read Divine Mercy diary for better understanding
---
Divine Mercy - God Loves you
You will know them by their fruits says the Lord