This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What happens if I go to heaven and my wife to hell?

#11kozlo100Posted 11/13/2012 12:57:56 PM
The first time this question occurred to me, it was actually in regards to someone close to me that had died with what I was taught was a mortal sin on her conscience. I was fairly young at the time, so much of my thoughts on the matter were fairly unsophisticated, but it did pose a problem not soluble via evangelism.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#12toxicpiePosted 11/13/2012 1:22:53 PM
I personally think that all good people will go to Heaven. We'll spend a bit of time chillaxing in Purgatory, but if we're good people we won't be there for long before playing harps on clouds. =D
#13Moorish_IdolPosted 11/13/2012 2:09:37 PM
Whenever I've asked this question (including to a pastor), I've usually heard the "All tears will be wiped away" thing -- basically, you can't feel sadness in Heaven, so you won't really care that you wife is in Hell.

Basically Heaven is full of emotionless barbarics, I guess.
---
Ezekiel 23:20
#14chukie_suePosted 11/13/2012 2:53:18 PM(edited)
Whenever I've asked this question (including to a pastor), I've usually heard the "All tears will be wiped away" thing -- basically, you can't feel sadness in Heaven, so you won't really care that you wife is in Hell.

Though to be fair, you're asking a question that, in order to be sufficiently answered, requires someone to lay down the dozen biblical axioms to explain where they're coming from.
---
"Christ is with those of humble mind, not with those who exalt themselves over his flock." -St. Clement of Rome.
#15Moorish_IdolPosted 11/13/2012 2:52:39 PM
chukie_sue posted...

To be fair, you're asking a question that, in order to be sufficiently answered, you have to learn like dozens of biblical axioms first.

I was a Christian for over 20 years. I feel comfortable with my knowledge of most of them. That said, I was a practicing Christian when I asked these things, and like kozlo they contributed to me leaving the faith. Answers like that just seemed so self-serving.
---
Ezekiel 23:20
#16chukie_suePosted 11/13/2012 3:02:23 PM(edited)
I agree. That answer definitely seems like a damaging oversimplification of a legitimate concern.
---
"Christ is with those of humble mind, not with those who exalt themselves over his flock." -St. Clement of Rome.
#17Maverick3000Posted 11/13/2012 3:11:57 PM
If you are truly soul mates, you must go through hell to save their soul. But only Robin Williams has succeeded.
---
we're not all geniuses like you Maverick. >_> - AWrulez
#18mercurydudePosted 11/13/2012 3:48:48 PM
Moorish_Idol posted...

Same answer I was given. It always gave me the impression of people in heaven receiving lobotomies so as to forget their loved ones ever existed and to feel artificial happiness as a result of said lobotomy.
---
"I am going to light a fire in Paradise and pour water on Hell, so that both veils completely vanish." - Rabia Al-'Adawiyya
#19kozlo100Posted 11/13/2012 4:04:01 PM
I've gotten that answer a few times as well, but I think always by people who were either unprepared or for some reason unwilling to put the time and discussion into a proper answer.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#20kts123Posted 11/13/2012 4:47:34 PM
More importantly, keep in mind, Jesus loves your wife a lot more than you. God is very patient, and very understanding. He's a bit like a California lawyer. He says the day you eat of it you will surely die -- well, yeah that was true, but then he turns around and raises us from the dead.

Part of me suspects, maybe God has a big loophole with the "the smoke will rise forever and ever" scriptures. Maybe not. Hell is definitely separation from the Lord, but that's all I think we know for sure. We don't really know who will go there exactly, only who will not go, the rest is slightly ambiguous. But judging from God's past dealings, he knows what he's doing.

I do think it's very depressing that people are unable to know God in this life. I can confidently say, actually coming to know God is the single best thing that ever happened to me. Even if others make it to heaven at the end of this life, they're really missing out on what he has for us in this life.