This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What happens if I go to heaven and my wife to hell?

#21SirThinkALotPosted 11/13/2012 4:52:27 PM
kozlo100 posted...
I've gotten that answer a few times as well, but I think always by people who were either unprepared or for some reason unwilling to put the time and discussion into a proper answer.

To be honest, its also a hard question to give a satisfactory answer to. Honestly I dont know how to answer it other than to say trust God to know whats best and to make it good. Yea its a cliche, but its the best I'v got....
---
Learn real history and economics at liberty Classroom
http://www.libertyclassroom.com/dap/a/?a=1305
#22kozlo100Posted 11/13/2012 5:04:31 PM
I can appreciate the difficulty of the question, so I never really faulted folks for not wanting to go in depth on it. Still, it is there, and it wasn't a question I was comfortable leaving open. After all, the nature of the afterlife, and our role in it, is a pretty central subject in Christianity, and this question gets into some pretty fundamental issues regarding it pretty quickly.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#23Polish_CrusaderPosted 11/13/2012 5:07:50 PM
There is no marriage in heaven. There is no sexual desire. Beyond recognizing her and talking to her, there is absolutely nothing closely related to your current life that you will do with her.

Matthew 22:23-33

23 That same day the Sadducees, who say there is no resurrection, came to him with a question. 24 “Teacher,” they said, “Moses told us that if a man dies without having children, his brother must marry the widow and raise up offspring for him. 25 Now there were seven brothers among us. The first one married and died, and since he had no children, he left his wife to his brother. 26 The same thing happened to the second and third brother, right on down to the seventh. 27 Finally, the woman died. 28 Now then, at the resurrection, whose wife will she be of the seven, since all of them were married to her?”
29 Jesus replied, “You are in error because you do not know the Scriptures or the power of God. 30 At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven. 31 But about the resurrection of the dead—have you not read what God said to you, 32 ‘I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob’[a]? He is not the God of the dead but of the living.”
33 When the crowds heard this, they were astonished at his teaching.
#24Polish_CrusaderPosted 11/13/2012 5:09:03 PM
Thuggernautz posted...
TheRealJiraiya posted...

What do you think of annihilationism? Surely you could live if your wife was merely dead - at some point, you may have to do so anyway

For me, being eternally alive while knowing my loved one(s) were eternally dead would still be torturous.

-In heaven you will have no knowledge of things or beings in hell or on earth. There is only joy in heaven. Tears and crying do not exist.
#25Moorish_IdolPosted 11/13/2012 5:28:52 PM
Polish_Crusader posted...
Thuggernautz posted...
TheRealJiraiya posted...

What do you think of annihilationism? Surely you could live if your wife was merely dead - at some point, you may have to do so anyway

For me, being eternally alive while knowing my loved one(s) were eternally dead would still be torturous.

-In heaven you will have no knowledge of things or beings in hell or on earth. There is only joy in heaven. Tears and crying do not exist.

Speaking of the devil...
---
Ezekiel 23:20
#26ForsakenHermitPosted 11/13/2012 5:35:09 PM
SirThinkALot posted...
ForsakenHermit posted...
One thing that turns me off from Christianity is the idea that you don't feel any different about your wife than some random Christian woman in heaven.

I'm a little confused as to what you are saying...could you explain better?

Basically what Polish-Crusader said.
---
I will close this account if Final Fantasy XV is announced to be for either the Vita or 3DS.
Fire Yoichi Wada
#27HeadEXplodePosted 11/13/2012 5:40:28 PM
Polish_Crusader posted...
Thuggernautz posted...
TheRealJiraiya posted...

This reminds me of a part of the Johnny the Homicidal Maniac comics where heaven is shown to be a field of people doing nothing but sitting in chairs experiencing eternal bliss, completely uncaring of their surroundings. It's explained that true happiness and joy are incompatible with heaven since happiness is nothing without sadness and anger to give it context.
---
I control the world/You control my heart/And life was easier when watching evil empires fall apart.
#28SilviiroPosted 11/13/2012 5:53:19 PM
It would not fit your concept of "heaven," but reality does not always fit with concepts. The only description of heaven that is in the Bible is poetic language. What heaven is actually like other than "good" is completely up to speculation.
---
"I have seen everything that is done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and a striving after wind." -- Ecclesiastes 1:14
#29Polish_CrusaderPosted 11/13/2012 5:59:16 PM
Silviiro posted...
It would not fit your concept of "heaven," but reality does not always fit with concepts. The only description of heaven that is in the Bible is poetic language. What heaven is actually like other than "good" is completely up to speculation.

Wrong.
#30SirThinkALotPosted 11/13/2012 6:32:29 PM
ForsakenHermit posted...
SirThinkALot posted...
ForsakenHermit posted...
One thing that turns me off from Christianity is the idea that you don't feel any different about your wife than some random Christian woman in heaven.

I'm a little confused as to what you are saying...could you explain better?

Basically what Polish-Crusader said.

Well then you should know that Polish-Crusader is mostly wrong in his assessment. Its true Jesus did indicate that marriage, as an institution would be obsolete in the new earth. But theres nothing to indicate that the relationship and the feelings between husbands and wives is gone. Actually theres nothing in that verse that can be taken that sex wont exist either. Even the reference to being 'like the angels of heaven' cant be taken that way, since there are ancient Jewish stories where angels could(and did) have sex. Look up the 'nephilim' for example.
---
Learn real history and economics at liberty Classroom
http://www.libertyclassroom.com/dap/a/?a=1305