This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What happens if I go to heaven and my wife to hell?

#31Polish_CrusaderPosted 11/13/2012 6:15:35 PM
SirThinkALot posted...
ForsakenHermit posted...
SirThinkALot posted...
ForsakenHermit posted...
One thing that turns me off from Christianity is the idea that you don't feel any different about your wife than some random Christian woman in heaven.

I'm a little confused as to what you are saying...could you explain better?

Basically what Polish-Crusader said.

Well then you should know that Polish-Crusader is mostly wrong in his assessment. Its true Jesus did indicate that marriage, as an institution would be obsolete in the new earth. But theres nothing to indicate that the relationship and the feelings between husbands and wives is gone. Actually theres nothing in that verse that can be taken that sex wont exist either. Even the reference to being 'like the angels of heaven' cant be taken that way, since there are ancient Jewish stories where angels could(and did) have sex. Look up the 'nephilim' for example.

-my bible study at BSF was studying the nephilim. That is very interesting that you said that. There are many theories about the nephilim but none are for sure. Some say the nephilim were fallen angels, some say dinosaurs in old testament times, some say aliens. Nobody really knows. The verse does not specify. If theres no marriage there is DEFINITELY no sex. Sex without marriage is immoral and fornication. No sexual immoral person will enter heaven (Ephesians 5:3-15).
#32OrangeWizardPosted 11/13/2012 6:41:49 PM
A doppleganger of your wife will be created and put in her place. You'd never know the difference. Muhahahaha!
---
Hi, I'm Larry the shivering chipmunk
Brr, I'm cold, I need a sweater.
#33OzymandiasIVPosted 11/13/2012 7:00:18 PM
From: FreeThinkingApe | Posted: 11/13/2012 1:00:51 PM | #001
Cause personally it won't be heaven unless my wife is there...

Well, if God can do anything, I'm sure he could make a heaven for you where you were supremely happy without her. Maybe he makes you forget her? Or maybe he just makes you not care about her plight.

After all, he is supposedly omnipotent. If he can't make his own creation supremely happy for any reason, I'd be calling his omnipotence into question.
---
Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sort of good at something.
#34SirThinkALotPosted 11/13/2012 7:46:01 PM
Polish_Crusader posted...
-my bible study at BSF was studying the nephilim. That is very interesting that you said that. There are many theories about the nephilim but none are for sure. Some say the nephilim were fallen angels, some say dinosaurs in old testament times, some say aliens. Nobody really knows. The verse does not specify.

Sure their only mention in Genesis isnt totally clear on what they were(although how you can get 'dinosaurs' out of it I'm not sure). However if you look outside the Bible(particularly the Book of Enoch and the Dead Sea Scrolls) you see that there was a very common(although admitedly not universally held) belief that they were the children of angels who had left earth to have sex with human women. And this idea seems to be briefly referenced in the book of Jude.

If theres no marriage there is DEFINITELY no sex. Sex without marriage is immoral and fornication. No sexual immoral person will enter heaven (Ephesians 5:3-15).

Its possible that the New Earth will operate by different rules than now. Although the Bible doesnt say much on the subject, so theres really nothing we can know for sure.
---
Learn real history and economics at liberty Classroom
http://www.libertyclassroom.com/dap/a/?a=1305
#35SystemafunkPosted 11/15/2012 8:03:48 AM
Well then you should know that Polish-Crusader is mostly wrong in his assessment. Its true Jesus did indicate that marriage, as an institution would be obsolete in the new earth. But theres nothing to indicate that the relationship and the feelings between husbands and wives is gone.

This.
#36SystemafunkPosted 11/15/2012 8:08:53 AM
Also, I should really say that if you really believe in God, then you also would naturally care more about God than any mortal being. That doesn't mean that you DON'T care about those other people or lives, but that your care for God exceeds the combination of your love for all else. God is more than the sum of the parts.

If you love your wife too much to be happy without her, then you don't really love God, and I suggest that you don't really love your wife in a healthy way. So while it makes sense to say that your wife in "hell" would be torment, then I see no reason why someone who has their priorities in proper perspective would be eternally tormented by the idea that someone close to you died and was gone forever. Or is the only reason that people who don't believe in an afterlife are "okay" is because they know the misery won't last too long? Are you really okay, or just going through the motions until you die?
#37ThuggernautzPosted 11/15/2012 8:23:22 AM
Systemafunk posted...
Also, I should really say that if you really believe in God, then you also would naturally care more about God than any mortal being. That doesn't mean that you DON'T care about those other people or lives, but that your care for God exceeds the combination of your love for all else. God is more than the sum of the parts.

If you love your wife too much to be happy without her, then you don't really love God, and I suggest that you don't really love your wife in a healthy way. So while it makes sense to say that your wife in "hell" would be torment, then I see no reason why someone who has their priorities in proper perspective would be eternally tormented by the idea that someone close to you died and was gone forever. Or is the only reason that people who don't believe in an afterlife are "okay" is because they know the misery won't last too long? Are you really okay, or just going through the motions until you die?

Goddamn, your new preachiness is really grating. I don't know how you can honestly suggest that you should love a being which cannot and has not ever been proven to exist over your wife, or that your wife doesn't deserve all your love. I just do not understand how anyone can do that, and I find it incredibly demeaning to the relationship. Imagine if your significant other instead of saying "I love you more than anything in the universe" says "I love you, but not as much as I love Marduk". Sigh. Whatever.
#38SystemafunkPosted 11/15/2012 8:45:24 AM
Goddamn, your new preachiness is really grating. I don't know how you can honestly suggest that you should love a being which cannot and has not ever been proven to exist over your wife, or that your wife doesn't deserve all your love.

What do you mean "all of your love"? Are you suggesting that your love is a fixed constant? Are you suggesting that your wife gets love to the exclusion of every other person?

I just do not understand how anyone can do that, and I find it incredibly demeaning to the relationship.

Well, it isn't. In practice, it does not result in that at all.

Imagine if your significant other instead of saying "I love you more than anything in the universe" says "I love you, but not as much as I love Marduk". Sigh. Whatever.

I know my wife does not love me as much as God, and I consider that a good thing. I've had the former kind of love before, and it unchecked leads to destruction.

The simple fact of the discussion is that IF God exists (I don't have to prove God exists), then your love for God is simply MORE than the sum of the parts. It does not diminish, as you seem wont to suggest, your love for anyone else any more than seeing God as the "creator" of the universe diminishes the awe of the universe. It simply means that you hold God in MORE awe, not the universe in LESS. It is just a proper perspective.
#39kozlo100Posted 11/15/2012 10:06:03 AM
Systemafunk posted...
If you love your wife too much to be happy without her, then you don't really love God, and I suggest that you don't really love your wife in a healthy way.

I disagree with that in a pretty big way. Rather just the opposite, I would suggest that if being permanently separated from your wife due to her annihilation or worse doesn't impact your ability to be happy, if that doesn't leave a scar, you didn't love her enough to be married in the first place.

I mean, that's what marriage is, right? The joining of two together into one? How can a bond like that be broken and the remaining part not be diminished?

Or is the only reason that people who don't believe in an afterlife are "okay" is because they know the misery won't last too long? Are you really okay, or just going through the motions until you die?

Should I outlive my wife, life will still be worth living, and I'm sure I'll find moments of happiness even after she's gone. I certainly won't be just going through the motions, but the world won't ever be perfect without her in it. Being in any kind of a state of bliss, or experiencing a fullness of joy simply won't be within my reach without the both of us being there together.

And that's ok. Imperfect is an ok thing for the world to be. I can live in an imperfect world, and be glad I do. As I understand it, imperfect is not an ok thing for heaven to be, and that's where the questions come in.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#40linkkhalid89Posted 11/15/2012 12:18:54 PM
There's nothing in the Bible about conjugal visits?

The apology I've heard is that heaven would be so fantastically fantastic that sadness won't even come up. It seems like a facile argument to me.