This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What happens if I go to heaven and my wife to hell?

#41kts123Posted 11/20/2012 4:05:38 PM(edited)
Should I outlive my wife, life will still be worth living, and I'm sure I'll find moments of happiness even after she's gone. I certainly won't be just going through the motions, but the world won't ever be perfect without her in it. Being in any kind of a state of bliss, or experiencing a fullness of joy simply won't be within my reach without the both of us being there together.

And that's ok. Imperfect is an ok thing for the world to be. I can live in an imperfect world, and be glad I do. As I understand it, imperfect is not an ok thing for heaven to be, and that's where the questions come in.

Were you capable of the fullness of joy before you met her? Or were blissfully unaware of what you were missing?

“Do not be afraid; you will not be put to shame.
Do not fear disgrace; you will not be humiliated.
You will forget the shame of your youth
and remember no more the reproach of your widowhood.
For your Maker is your husband—
the Lord Almighty is his name—
the Holy One of Israel is your Redeemer;
he is called the God of all the earth.
The Lord will call you back
as if you were a wife deserted and distressed in spirit—
a wife who married young,
only to be rejected,” says your God.
“For a brief moment I abandoned you,
but with deep compassion I will bring you back.
In a surge of anger
I hid my face from you for a moment,
but with everlasting kindness
I will have compassion on you,”
says the Lord your Redeemer.

- Isaiah 54:4-8
#42kozlo100Posted 11/21/2012 11:58:30 AM
kts123 posted...
Were you capable of the fullness of joy before you met her? Or were blissfully unaware of what you were missing?

That's kind of a trickier question than it seems, but I'm thinking the ways in which it's tricky might not be relevant here. So lets just go with yes, I was.

The difference I'm seeing is that meeting her didn't take away any part of who I was before. Losing her would diminish me. Therefore, even if there is some greater joy to be had without her, I am still diminished in experiencing it, and thus it becomes hard to call it a 'fullness' of any sort.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#43anavriNPosted 11/22/2012 7:31:21 AM
Maverick3000 posted...
If you are truly soul mates, you must go through hell to save their soul. But only Robin Williams has succeeded.

I used to hate that movie as a kid, but now that I'm older, I can appreciate the scenery and some of the symbolism.
---
§ 157. Der Gedanke an den Selbstmord ist ein starkes Trostmittel: mit ihm kommt man gut über manche böse Nacht hinweg.
#44anavriNPosted 11/22/2012 7:39:23 AM
ForsakenHermit posted...
One thing that turns me off from Christianity is the idea that you don't feel any different about your wife than some random Christian woman in heaven.

This is the core of Christianity: it preaches hatred of the family and love for strangers and enemies. That's why it was so radically opposed to the values of its time: Roman ethos taught people to love their kin and to crush the stranger. Jesus turned the old values upside-down, installing a Trojan Horse-like virus that would bring the Roman Empire down from the inside.

There's a fascinating analysis of Christianity from the theory that Jesus was conceived in the rape of Mary by a Roman soldier (historically quite likely). Jesus' in turn sought to overcome his status as an hereditary rapist by radically denying biological ties between people, basing his world-view on a transcendent source: one God to whom all humans are equal by comparison.

It's well worth the read:
http://www.suicidenote.info/ebook/suicide_note.pdf#pagemode=bookmarks&page=359
---
§ 157. Der Gedanke an den Selbstmord ist ein starkes Trostmittel: mit ihm kommt man gut über manche böse Nacht hinweg.
#45darklaoPosted 11/22/2012 9:00:04 AM
You will be joined by a simulacrum of your wife in heaven. You will know it's not really your wife, but you won't care. Then as the centuries pass it will eat at you more and more, until finally one day you flip out and beat her to death, then you will be sent to hell where you will be tortured forever but at least you will be together. Then smash cut to your wife in heaven, tearfully watching you on a monitor. Epic plot twist your wife went to heaven and you went to hell. Roll credits.
---
[agitprop]
come and play come and play forget about the movement
#46anavriNPosted 11/22/2012 9:32:11 AM
^^
Written and directed by Night M. Shamalyan.
---
#47itslikePosted 11/22/2012 10:38:40 AM
Im praying this happens
---
the guy has to go to church at 630am. he is already in hell ~ gumbyxcore99
#48Heineken14Posted 11/23/2012 5:54:31 PM
There is no marriage in heaven. There is no sexual desire. Beyond recognizing her and talking to her, there is absolutely nothing closely related to your current life that you will do with her.

-In heaven you will have no knowledge of things or beings in hell or on earth. There is only joy in heaven. Tears and crying do not exist.

Good thing I'm not going to heaven then, because that sounds absolutely f***Ing horrid.
---
Rage is a hell of an anesthetic.
#49roduPosted 11/23/2012 5:59:46 PM
so basically you won't be you in heaven?
#50gamesrgreatPosted 11/23/2012 7:46:08 PM
You lucky dog
---
D-Jesus, Christ Bosh, King James 3:16
The Miami Heat 2012 Champs- Miller Time