This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do you guys cope with questioning your religious beliefs(christianity)?

#1psoesmPosted 11/16/2012 12:11:17 PM
So ever since I was about 13 I found myself questioning my religious beliefs due to bad encounters with some really fundamentalist christians. I'm now in my 20s and I have never thought of myself as being an atheist and just choose to ignore the topic of my religious beliefs altogether. The thing is, I feel like I do want to have faith and believe in something, but there are some things that hold me back since everything needs to make sense before I can accept something in good faith. I've never really bothered to ask anyone these questions before, but I figured there are a lot of smart people who have figured them out for themselves and keep their beliefs. Here are some that have been bothering me:

-Evolution. A lot of people misunderstand what a scientific theory is or they're just anti-science and won't accept it. It's a fact. How do some of you guys find a line between it and your beliefs?

- Social issues such as abortion and gay marriage. I'm pro-choice and I'm for gay marriage. For a lot of people, those are issues christians should lean one way towards because of their faith

- The age of the earth. The earth isn't 6000 years old. Once again this comes back to people being anti-science and using the bible to make these claims.

- Whether or not Jesus was real. This is one of my biggest concerns since I don't want to accept it on principal.

- Why God only choose to relay his message to people in one area of the world if it's supposed to be something that's universal.
#2LastManStandingPosted 11/16/2012 12:36:04 PM
Catholic, no questions just growing faith each and every day. Before it was routine and weak, I do not remember that I've questioned anything, now I worship out of love. Praise the Lord.
---
Divine Mercy - God Loves you
You will know them by their fruits says the Lord
#3TheRealJiraiyaPosted 11/16/2012 12:44:22 PM
First of all, doubting is the first step on the path to spiritual growth. Contrary to what some Christians might tell you, you cant really make your faith your own unless you first start trying to shoot holes in the faith that was handed to you. This is a good thing.

Im going to give my answers to your issues, but Im changing your bullets to numbered points for ease of response.

1 and 3 are simple enough. Many, many Christians believe in evolution and more believe in and Old Earth. There are a lot of context clues, especially in the original languages, that indicate that the creation story was intended to be a parable to express spiritual truth, not a literal historical novel. Taking it as a science textbook seems like a very misguided way to read the Bible. And these interpretations arent just something that sprang up since evolution came about, either - non-literal interpretations of Genesis are older than Christianity. If you want more details, let me know, and I will write out more details.

As for 2, there are many Christians, myself included, that hold opinions on this that differ from the mainstream. Abortion is actually fairly straightforward - the Bible doesnt talk about it all that much, but the verses that do seem to indicate that the correct view is also the majority one, on both sides - that the fetus does not have the same value as the mother, but that it does have value. So I would argue that getting abortions regularly as a form of birth control should be frowned upon, but if the mother will die delivering the child you should abort the child. That said, lots of Christians disagree with me there, but that is my interpretation on the Bible's message about this sort of thing.

Continuing 2 but talking about homosexuality, this one isnt really as open-shut as the abortion discussion. Personally, I believe homosexuality is fine, and a Christian case can be made for it being fine, but the opposite can also be true. The debate more or less hinges on Romans 1 - in Romans 1, a group of people are described as depraved in all kinds of ways, many sexual, and are derided for entering into orgies and prostitution and - you guessed it - homosexuality. I would read the word choice here pretty carefully, and remember that there isnt really a clear "thou shalt not do homosexual acts" anywhere in the Christian-relevant rules, and lesbianism is never condemned at all, directly. My recommendation to you on the issue is to read Romans 1 and the first half of Romans 2 and decide whether you think it necessarily means that a loving, consensual, healthy homosexual relationship is sinful.

As for point 4, it is pretty much a historical fact that a dude named Jesus lived and did stuff. There is a lot of evidence for it, and few historians doubt it. A few Romans, a few Jews, and a bunch of Christians recorded it. Some really early epistles (personal letters recorded in the Bible) reference earlier conversations about seeing it and lend credence to the events that transpired. I can elaborate on this as well, if you like.

Point 5... isnt it universal now? :P

The main point I want to get across for points 1-3 is that these issues and your beliefs about them arent really super relevant to your salvation, and there is a lot more discussion about them in the Church than the Religious Right and American Christian Social Culture want you to realize.
---
"If a man does not know to what port he is sailing, no wind is favorable" -Seneca
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt
#4Lord_IchmaelPosted 11/16/2012 1:03:01 PM
Starting to question it caused me to ultimately leave it. I honestly don't know how anyone can read all or most of the Bible and still believe it to be true. As for positions on evolution, homosexuality and gay marriage, it depends on which passages you choose to believe in and whether you choose to interpret them literally or not. It's totally subjective.

LastManStanding posted...
Catholic, no questions just growing faith each and every day. Before it was routine and weak, I do not remember that I've questioned anything, now I worship out of love. Praise the Lord.

Unfortunately for you and your topics, not everyone accepts your beliefs specifically to the exclusion of all others without question and with zero evidence backing them up. That statement does explain a lot, though.
#5LastManStandingPosted 11/16/2012 1:35:22 PM
You cannot have doubts on faith because it will be shaken, f you start doubting the truths, there is no faith. Close my eyes and follow the Lord. Holy Spirit is in me, and works in my life,thank You Father.
---
Divine Mercy - God Loves you
You will know them by their fruits says the Lord
#6OrangeWizardPosted 11/16/2012 1:39:22 PM
I find answers to the questions.
---
Hi, I'm Larry the shivering chipmunk
Brr, I'm cold, I need a sweater.
#7Lord_IchmaelPosted 11/16/2012 1:53:38 PM
And how do you know what's true if you accept everything at face value?

... Sorry if this topic's getting a bit hijacked.
#8OrangeWizardPosted 11/16/2012 1:54:12 PM
Me or Him?
---
Hi, I'm Larry the shivering chipmunk
Brr, I'm cold, I need a sweater.
#9Lord_IchmaelPosted 11/16/2012 2:00:46 PM
LMS. He's the one saying don't question anything.
#10TheRealJiraiyaPosted 11/16/2012 2:11:38 PM
I honestly think if you never question anything it is more indicative of a very young faith, tbh. Questioning is part of growth.
---
"If a man does not know to what port he is sailing, no wind is favorable" -Seneca
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt