This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do you guys cope with questioning your religious beliefs(christianity)?

#11JonWood007Posted 11/16/2012 2:28:44 PM
LastManStanding posted...
You cannot have doubts on faith because it will be shaken, f you start doubting the truths, there is no faith. Close my eyes and follow the Lord. Holy Spirit is in me, and works in my life,thank You Father.

In other words, don't question. You are precisely what's wrong with religion.

Anyway, I think you're beginning to see the cracks in the religion, or the seams so to speak. I used to believe in Christianity, but upon studying it so much, experiencing faith crises, and really analyzing it, I concluded it's probably not true.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 5850 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#12sumostickfigurePosted 11/16/2012 3:02:43 PM
You cannot have doubts on faith because it will be shaken, f you start doubting the truths, there is no faith. Close my eyes and follow the Lord. Holy Spirit is in me, and works in my life,thank You Father.

Questioning something is not the same thing as having doubts about it, although I wouldn't say that doubting what one believes is a bad thing in its own right. One can just as easily ask questions in hope of verifying what one believes as one can ask questions because one finds something hard to believe.
---
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.
http://i.imgur.com/Vgmi3.gif
#13OzymandiasIVPosted 11/16/2012 3:36:30 PM
From: TheRealJiraiya | Posted: 11/16/2012 2:44:22 PM | #003
First of all, doubting is the first step on the path to spiritual growth.

Or dismissal. TC, I grew up pretty much the same way. I wanted to believe and I kept searching for answers. I refused for a long time to accept that my faith was slipping, and by the time I had, I realized my faith was completely gone.

Not saying that will happen to you, but know that it is a possibility. I think you're approaching this in a good way. I hope things work out for you the best way they can.
---
Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sort of good at something.
#14OzymandiasIVPosted 11/16/2012 3:38:08 PM
So I would argue that getting abortions regularly as a form of birth control should be frowned upon

I honestly doubt anyone in the world regularly receives abortions as their form of birth control.
---
#15TheRealJiraiyaPosted 11/16/2012 4:03:46 PM
OzymandiasIV posted...
So I would argue that getting abortions regularly as a form of birth control should be frowned upon

I honestly doubt anyone in the world regularly receives abortions as their form of birth control.

There are 7 billion people in the world. I honestly doubt you couldn't find at least one person crazy enough to do any given thing.
---
"If a man does not know to what port he is sailing, no wind is favorable" -Seneca
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt
#16Polish_CrusaderPosted 11/16/2012 5:25:07 PM
Practically all of my questions have been answered in some way or another. There are things about the bible that make me a little uncomfortable. But then again, there were things about my parents discipline and things about how my teachers taught me in school that made me uncomfortable as well, so the uncomfortable things just bring me out of the comfort zone.
#17OzymandiasIVPosted 11/16/2012 6:03:52 PM
From: TheRealJiraiya | Posted: 11/16/2012 6:03:46 PM | #015
I honestly doubt you couldn't find at least one person crazy enough to do any given thing.

Certainly not enough to think that people using abortion as a regular means of birth control is exactly a common issue. And yes, I really doubt that more than a handful of women have ever had more than 2 or 3 abortions for no reason other than they didn't want to be pregnant.

And your numbers are seriously misleading. There may be 7 billion people, but something like 52% of those come with the equipment necessary for pregnancy. Not all of them become pregnant or even have sex, not all of them have effective equipment, not all of them will live long enough to become pregnant, and not all of them live in a place where abortions are even available (due to a lack of medical equipment or because all forms of abortion in their country are outlawed). And quite a few of them also have sex responsibly. So that number is far less than 7 billion.
---
#18countzanderPosted 11/16/2012 6:25:24 PM
- Evolution. This is a problem only if you take the Genesis account literally and only literally. Besides, evolution tells us only what most likely happened, not what did. Just because evolution is a strong theory doesn't disprove possible supernatural events in the past. Granted, you can't really assert these supernatural happenings, but you can at least maintain some kind of faith.

- Social issues. Irrelevant. If the conservative interpretation of Christianity is true, God doesn't care what we think. Otherwise, homosexuality and abortion probably aren't even sins.

- Whether or not Jesus was real. The historical consensus is that Jesus did exist. Even secular historians agree he was real. They just don't believe in the supernatural stuff.

- Age of the earth. The Bible doesn't say how old the earth is. The 6,000 years figure is based on questionable assumptions.

- Why God choose to relay his message to people in one area of the world. I don't really have an answer for this one other than "God can do whatever nonsensical thing he wants." Nevertheless, that point alone is not enough to falsify the religion (c.f. Acts 17 an Romans 1-2).

You should read the Book of Ecclesiastes and Kierkegaard's philosophy on faith.
---
http://i.imgur.com/k1nGh.jpg
#19LastManStandingPosted 11/16/2012 7:46:15 PM
Satan is dominating the world, you need to stay strong, never let go of hope, grow your faith, and profess your love to God and thy neighbor
---
Divine Mercy - God Loves you
You will know them by their fruits says the Lord
#20LastManStandingPosted 11/16/2012 7:46:47 PM
Satan is dominating the world, you need to stay strong, never let go of hope, grow your faith, and profess your love to God and thy neighbor
---
Divine Mercy - God Loves you
You will know them by their fruits says the Lord