This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do you guys cope with questioning your religious beliefs(christianity)?

#31fudrickPosted 11/19/2012 2:26:47 PM
DarkContractor posted...
how do you prove that?

I'm not sure how one would go about proving that, but since the claim was made I figured someone was able to do it. Perhaps there are some available data regarding women who have received multiple abortions.
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#32psoesm(Topic Creator)Posted 11/21/2012 8:24:26 PM(edited)
@TheRealJiraiya

Yes pleas elaborate on points one and three just so I know for my own sake.

And about the jesus thing, I should have elaborated more. I know a lot of historians pretty much agree there was a historical jesus, how many accounts outside of the bible being witness to the feats he was performing. It makes sense that if he was a supernatural being, then there would be more historical accounts of those feats outside of holy text.

About point 5: what I mean is, why would the people in that section of the world be the only one to receive Gods' message. It's kind of a classic question, but what about the people who were living before and during the time these things were going on? Are they doomed because they werent in the right place at the right time? Shouldn't the message be equal access and not reliant on people spreading it?

@Julian_Caesar

Your take is very interesting and I agreed with a lot of it. I find it the most appealing. Can you give some more details about your beliefs, denomination,etc...?

Thanks everyone else for the responses so far.
#33psoesm(Topic Creator)Posted 11/21/2012 8:31:20 PM
countzander posted...

You should read the Book of Ecclesiastes and Kierkegaard's philosophy on faith.

I've flipped through the bible and I don't see that book and which text by that philosopher do you want me to look at exactly?
#34SirThinkALotPosted 11/21/2012 8:35:43 PM
psoesm posted...
It makes sense that if he was a supernatural being, then there would be more historical accounts of those feats outside of holy text.

Actually it doesnt make sense at all that non-Christians would bother recording miracle claims. They would have dismissed them as rumors or lies spread by Christians(as indeed we see anti-Christian writers doing so explicitly). When you also consider how little we have from first century Palestine, and its amazing we have as much as we do on Jesus.

The real question isnt 'who recorded these claims?' But rather 'Why did these ideas emerge so quickly, and become so central to Christianity, so soon after Jesus' lifetime?'

It's kind of a classic question, but what about the people who were living before and during the time these things were going on? Are they doomed because they werent in the right place at the right time?

I dont think so. I think God will forgive those who honestly seek after God(or whatever they call their 'religious' or 'spiritual' beliefs) and try to live virtuously. But are ignorant of how to do so through no fault of their own. I think this is what Paul was talking about when he spoke of the general revelation and God having written the law on mens hearts.
---
Learn real history and economics at liberty Classroom
http://www.libertyclassroom.com/dap/a/?a=1305
#35CuddleWithClawsPosted 11/21/2012 9:23:47 PM
You cannot have doubts on faith because it will be shaken, f you start doubting the truths, there is no faith. Close my eyes and follow the Lord. Holy Spirit is in me, and works in my life,thank You Father.

This is the sort of brainless nonsensery that typifies people like LMS.

Don't end up like LMS, TC. That's all the advice I can give. I actually pity him and people like him. They're utterly incapable of coherent thought.
---
There must be hope.
#36ThuggernautzPosted 11/22/2012 6:49:18 AM
SirThinkALot posted...

Actually it doesnt make sense at all that non-Christians would bother recording miracle claims. They would have dismissed them as rumors or lies spread by Christians(as indeed we see anti-Christian writers doing so explicitly). When you also consider how little we have from first century Palestine, and its amazing we have as much as we do on Jesus.

The real question isnt 'who recorded these claims?' But rather 'Why did these ideas emerge so quickly, and become so central to Christianity, so soon after Jesus' lifetime?'

Why do we have claims of people seeing Elvis alive so quickly after he died? Why did Mohammed's life become the basis of a totally separate religion so quickly? Christianity is not unique in its ability to throw the life of a man into the heights of mythology.
#37TheRealJiraiyaPosted 11/22/2012 7:29:15 AM
CuddleWithClaws posted...
You cannot have doubts on faith because it will be shaken

If you believe that questioning your religion will make your faith be shaken, then you dont really believe in Christianity.

I believe Christianity is true, so I dont fear that questioning will lead to me leaving my religion.
---
"If a man does not know to what port he is sailing, no wind is favorable" -Seneca
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt
#38JonWood007Posted 11/22/2012 8:41:47 AM(edited)
TheRealJiraiya posted...
CuddleWithClaws posted...
You cannot have doubts on faith because it will be shaken

If you believe that questioning your religion will make your faith be shaken, then you dont really believe in Christianity.

I believe Christianity is true, so I dont fear that questioning will lead to me leaving my religion.

That;s what I used to believe until I deconverted. Although I don't compartmentalize. I believe something is either true or not, and if it is true, we should be able to find evidence for it. I don't get the whole "I'm gonna live my life by reason, but I'm still gonna hold this irrational belief for no good reason at all". When I believed Christianity was true, I believed it was true. When I began questioning and realized the evidence did not support it, I rejected it like I would any other faulty belief. No special pleading. Heck, I gave Christianity an incredible amount of special pleading in my questoning phase, since, you know, losing your faith is one of the worst things that can supposedly happen to a Christian ever.

In other words, if you believe Christianity is true because of the evidence and question, you can lose your faith by asking the right (or wrong, depending on your perspective) questions with intellectual honesty. If you compartmentalize and do special pleading for the belief system, you can believe it's true, but it's not really a founded belief, is it? I just don't get doing this. Kinda sounds like someone doesn't wanna come out of their comfort zone when they do this.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 5850 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#39SirThinkALotPosted 11/22/2012 8:18:59 PM
Thuggernautz posted...
SirThinkALot posted...

Why do we have claims of people seeing Elvis alive so quickly after he died? Why did Mohammed's life become the basis of a totally separate religion so quickly? Christianity is not unique in its ability to throw the life of a man into the heights of mythology.

Islam spread because of a charismatic leader who led some good military campaigns. Claims of miracles on Muhammad's part come later and were never really central to the teachings of Islam the way Jesus's ressurection is for Christianity. This isnt really comparable at all.

Elvis sightings are a better comparison. But I think its rather telling that belief that Elvis lives hasnt really spread with the same speed or ferocity that Christianity did, in large part because of how obviously false it is.
---
Learn real history and economics at liberty Classroom
http://www.libertyclassroom.com/dap/a/?a=1305
#40fudrickPosted 11/22/2012 11:08:02 PM
SirThinkALot posted...
But I think its rather telling that belief that Elvis lives hasnt really spread with the same speed or ferocity that Christianity did, in large part because of how obviously false it is.

...because these days, people are generally more skeptical toward new claims and dismiss those with no evidence. Not necessarily because it's less true or more ridiculous.
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious