This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

cyclonekruse's Annual Religion Board Census -- 2012 Edition

#1cyclonekrusePosted 11/16/2012 5:08:42 PM
It's that time of the year again when we try to get a glimpse into the demographics of the board. Many of you may know the drill already--it's at least the 6th one of these we've done--but others may be unfamiliar. So I'll start out with my usual disclaimers:

This is an entirely voluntary poll. If any question makes you uncomfortable, feel free to skip it. I would also caution against revealing information that could identify you in real life.

Further, this in an unscientific poll. It's self-report data and there's no random selection of participants. Plus, we can't guarantee that the same person isn't filling out the poll twice under different aliases. For those reasons and more, generalizing the results is tricky at best. Bear that in mind before using the results as evidence for something. That said, I still like to think it gives a pretty good breakdown of the board's makeup.

And here are the questions:

1. What is your age?
2. What is your sex?
3. Where are you from? (No need to be more specific than state/province.)
4a. Are you an atheist or a theist?*
4b. If an atheist, are you a weak atheist or strong atheist?
5. Are you agnostic or not?
6a. Do you follow a religion?
6b. If so, which religion?
7. Do you believe in life after death?
8. Do you believe that evolution is the best explanation we currently have for the diversity of life?
9a. Do you share the same religion (or lack thereof) as your parent(s)?
9b. Do you differ in your religion (or lack thereof) with one or both of your parents?
10. Do you believe in ghosts?
11. On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate the conviction you have in your religious position (1 being no conviction at all and 10 being absolute conviction)?
12. On a scale of 1-10, how much would you say your religious beliefs have changed over the course of your life (1 being not at all and 10 being a complete change)?
13. How long have you been visiting this Religion board?
14. And finally, in the event of a zombie apocalypse, what would your weapon of choice be?

*For the purposes of this poll, deists are counted as theists and straight agnostics are counted as atheists.

Have at it.
---
Locke: "Why do you find it so hard to believe?" || Jack "Why do you find it so easy?!" ||
Locke: "It's never been easy!"
#2cyclonekruse(Topic Creator)Posted 11/16/2012 5:15:20 PM
My answers:

1. 27
2. Male
3. Iowa
4a. Theist
4b. N/A
5. Yes
6a. Yes
6b. Christianity--Lutheran
7. Yes
8. Yes
9a. Yes
9b. No
10. No
11. 2.75
12. 7.5
13. Call it 6.5 years. I think. Maybe a bit more.
14. In video games, I've always been partial to melee weapons simply because you don't have to worry about ammo. So I'll say a machete.
---
Locke: "Why do you find it so hard to believe?" || Jack "Why do you find it so easy?!" ||
#3kozlo100Posted 11/16/2012 5:21:59 PM
I love census time.

1. What is your age? 33
2. What is your sex? Male
3. Where are you from? California
4a. Are you an atheist or a theist? Atheist
4b. If an atheist, are you a weak atheist or strong atheist? Weak Atheist
5. Are you agnostic or not? Agnostic
6a. Do you follow a religion? No
6b. If so, which religion? n/a
7. Do you believe in life after death? No
8. Do you believe that evolution is the best explanation we currently have for the diversity of life? Yes
9a. Do you share the same religion (or lack thereof) as your parent(s)? No
9b. Do you differ in your religion (or lack thereof) with one or both of your parents? Yes, both
10. Do you believe in ghosts? No
11. On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate the conviction you have in your religious position (1 being no conviction at all and 10 being absolute conviction)?8
12. On a scale of 1-10, how much would you say your religious beliefs have changed over the course of your life (1 being not at all and 10 being a complete change)?8
13. How long have you been visiting this Religion board? 7 years
14. And finally, in the event of a zombie apocalypse, what would your weapon of choice be? non-specific (possibly improvised) bludgeoning type weapon
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#4countzanderPosted 11/16/2012 5:33:03 PM
1. What is your age? 19.
2. What is your sex? Male.
3. Where are you from? Atlanta.
4a. Are you an atheist or a theist? Theist.
4b. If an atheist, are you a weak atheist or strong atheist? N/A
5. Are you agnostic or not? Agnostic.
6a. Do you follow a religion? Yes.
6b. If so, which religion? Christianity.
7. Do you believe in life after death? I guess.
8. Do you believe that evolution is the best explanation we currently have for the diversity of life? Yes.
9a. Do you share the same religion (or lack thereof) as your parent(s)? They're more religious than I am.
9b. Do you differ in your religion (or lack thereof) with one or both of your parents? See above.
10. Do you believe in ghosts? No.
11. On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate the conviction you have in your religious position (1 being no conviction at all and 10 being absolute conviction)? 5
12. On a scale of 1-10, how much would you say your religious beliefs have changed over the course of your life (1 being not at all and 10 being a complete change)? 9
13. How long have you been visiting this Religion board? Two years.
14. And finally, in the event of a zombie apocalypse, what would your weapon of choice be? A gun blade, preferably Lightning's. Also, I'd want Lightning as well.
---
http://i.imgur.com/k1nGh.jpg
#5cyclonekruse(Topic Creator)Posted 11/16/2012 5:42:13 PM
I love census time.

I'm glad there are a couple of you out there that appreciate it. :)

My favorite part is when it's all done. I like seeing how all the results play out, even if it's hard to say how meaningful those results are. Plus, it's a lot of work, so it's always a good feeling to be done with it.

Sorry I was a bit late with it this year. I was a little burned out by polls thanks to the election. And it's just a busy time of year in general.

A gun blade, preferably Lightning's. Also, I'd want Lightning as well.

Hmm. My plan is to classify all the weapons in the end. I'm not sure if that counts as a gun or melee.

But I'm going to disqualify the "Lightning" part of it. I did say weapon, as in singular. :)
---
#6ElderMisanthropyPosted 11/16/2012 6:06:13 PM
1. What is your age? 24
3. Where are you from? (No need to be more specific than state/province.) Pennsylvania
4a. Are you an atheist or a theist?* Atheist
4b. If an atheist, are you a weak atheist or strong atheist? Strong
5. Are you agnostic or not? No
6a. Do you follow a religion? N/A
6b. If so, which religion? N/A
8. Do you believe that evolution is the best explanation we currently have for the diversity of life? Yes
9a. Do you share the same religion (or lack thereof) as your parent(s)? No
9b. Do you differ in your religion (or lack thereof) with one or both of your parents? Yes
11. On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate the conviction you have in your religious position (1 being no conviction at all and 10 being absolute conviction)? 9
12. On a scale of 1-10, how much would you say your religious beliefs have changed over the course of your life (1 being not at all and 10 being a complete change)? 10
13. How long have you been visiting this Religion board? 4-5 years, maybe. Not sure.
14. And finally, in the event of a zombie apocalypse, what would your weapon of choice be? The Death Star.
---
I'll make you wish you were never born when I come crabbing at your door.
#7AuraBlaze1Posted 11/16/2012 6:16:01 PM
1. What is your age?

2. What is your sex?
Male

3. Where are you from? (No need to be more specific than state/province.)
Alberta

4a. Are you an atheist or a theist?*
Atheist

4b. If an atheist, are you a weak atheist or strong atheist?
Weak

5. Are you agnostic or not?
Agnostic

6a. Do you follow a religion?
Nope

N/A

7. Do you believe in life after death?
I don't know. I leaning more towards "no" however.

8. Do you believe that evolution is the best explanation we currently have for the diversity of life?
Yes

9a. Do you share the same religion (or lack thereof) as your parent(s)?
Nope, my parents practice a very lax form of Buddhism.

9b. Do you differ in your religion (or lack thereof) with one or both of your parents?
Yes, as seen above.

10. Do you believe in ghosts?
Nope

11. On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate the conviction you have in your religious position (1 being no conviction at all and 10 being absolute conviction)?
6-7 is where it usually varies around.

12. On a scale of 1-10, how much would you say your religious beliefs have changed over the course of your life (1 being not at all and 10 being a complete change)?
5-6 sounds about right.

13. How long have you been visiting this Religion board?
3 years, mostly a lurker so I don't post often.

14. And finally, in the event of a zombie apocalypse, what would your weapon of choice be?
Haven't gave this much though. Maybe a ham-axe cause it can both cause blunt force trauma and still be able to cut things.
---
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b21/AuraBlaze/Untitled-2.png
You don't understand because there is nothing to understand. It's nonsense. -Bahamut
#8Lord_IchmaelPosted 11/16/2012 6:29:55 PM
1. What is your age? 21
3. Where are you from? (No need to be more specific than state/province.) Florida
4a. Are you an atheist or a theist? Atheist
4b. If an atheist, are you a weak atheist or strong atheist? Both, sort of, but probably weak more than strong
5. Are you agnostic or not? Yes, but only in the sense that I think a creator is possible, but a creator in the traditional monotheistic sense is not.
6a. Do you follow a religion? No
9a. Do you share the same religion (or lack thereof) as your parent(s)? No, my mom is a Presbytarian, and my dad's a Buddhist.
9b. Do you differ in your religion (or lack thereof) with one or both of your parents? Yes, both.
11. On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate the conviction you have in your religious position (1 being no conviction at all and 10 being absolute conviction)? 9
12. On a scale of 1-10, how much would you say your religious beliefs have changed over the course of your life (1 being not at all and 10 being a complete change)? 9
13. How long have you been visiting this Religion board? 2 or 3 months
14. And finally, in the event of a zombie apocalypse, what would your weapon of choice be? Never thought about it much.
#9sumostickfigurePosted 11/16/2012 6:31:11 PM
1. 21
2. Male
3. California
4a. Atheist
4b. Weak
5. I suppose.
6a. No
7. No
8. Yes
9a. No
9b. Both
10. No
11. 8
12. 10
13. Less than a year
14. Zombies? Where? *is the first to die in event of zombie apocalypse*
---
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.
http://i.imgur.com/Vgmi3.gif
#10kozlo100Posted 11/16/2012 6:35:55 PM
cyclonekruse posted...
Hmm. My plan is to classify all the weapons in the end. I'm not sure if that counts as a gun or melee.

Presuming he means the Final Fantasy gunblades, they're more augmented melee weapons than they are firearms.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick