The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Christian extremists hoping for the rapture are a sad lot

#1B4TT3RYPosted 11/16/2012 11:31:54 PM
Normal and respectable Christians should do all they can to distance themselves from those who wish for the world to end.

Earlier I heard a man explain that the rapture was coming because it says in the bible that floods and earthquakes would happen before the rapture. He says that the recent uptick in severe weather is a result of that. Instead of acknowledging the existence of climate change and wanting to do something to help the planet, he ignores factual evidence in support of his own apocalyptic fantasy.

I know most of you here aren't fundamentalists and probably rational folk. I want to know what your churhes are doing to show these people that praying for the end of the world is not a good way to go about things. In the 17 years I attended church, I never once heard a sermon on prolonging the rapture, only these whimsical fantasies about how and when the rapture would come about, and what you can do to make sure you'd be saved. It's not a wonder why I left that hellhole ironically called a church.
---
Thank you for posting. Here at the Forum we greatly value your input!- TheHarmfulOne
#2Burning_WolfXPosted 11/16/2012 11:54:36 PM
The Orthodox Church has never taught the Rapture, and heavily repudiates the idea that Christians will be spared being persecuted for their faith, since one of Revelation's main points is being faithful during harsh persecution until the very end. Also, some Christians thinking that they have this special privilege to be spared of all this pain and suffering stinks of "holier-than-though" exclusivism, as well as arrogance and self-serving pride.
---
Sometimes I'd like to ask God why He allows poverty, suffering, and injustice when He could do something about it. But Im afraid He'd ask me the same thing.
#3JonWood007Posted 11/17/2012 12:00:34 AM
Apocalpytic Christians are scary.

Some of them think we should **** up the world, who cares because Jesus is coming back. It's scary. They should stay far far away from politics.

If Jesus were coming back, he probably would've done so by now. The Jesus and paul and all expected the apocalypse to happen within their lifetimes or shortly thereafter. 2000 years later...seems unlikely it will happen. And then there's revelation being filled with roman imagery.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 5850 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#4SuibomPosted 11/17/2012 2:44:04 AM
Beloved, I now write to you this second epistle (in both of which I stir up your pure minds by way of reminder), that you may be mindful of the words which were spoken before by the holy prophets, and of the commandment of us, the apostles of the Lord and Savior, knowing this first: that scoffers will come in the last days, walking according to their own lusts, and saying, “Where is the promise of His coming? For since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of creation.”

For this they willfully forget: that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of water and in the water, by which the world that then existed perished, being flooded with water. But the heavens and the earth which are now preserved by the same word, are reserved for fire until the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.

But, beloved, do not forget this one thing, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance. (II Peter 3:1-9 NKJV)
---
"Remember those who are in prison, as though in prison with them, and those who are mistreated, since you also are in the body." Hebrews 13:3 ESV
#5SuibomPosted 11/17/2012 2:47:45 AM
Burning_WolfX posted...
The Orthodox Church has never taught the Rapture

They should. It's 100% scriptural.

For all their tradition, they can't even make sense of simple things like this.
---
"Remember those who are in prison, as though in prison with them, and those who are mistreated, since you also are in the body." Hebrews 13:3 ESV
#6B4TT3RY(Topic Creator)Posted 11/17/2012 4:52:02 AM
Burning_WolfX posted...
The Orthodox Church has never taught the Rapture, and heavily repudiates the idea that Christians will be spared being persecuted for their faith, since one of Revelation's main points is being faithful during harsh persecution until the very end. Also, some Christians thinking that they have this special privilege to be spared of all this pain and suffering stinks of "holier-than-though" exclusivism, as well as arrogance and self-serving pride.

Sir, I started hearing the song "I won't say I'm in love" about halfway through your post.

I was kinda heated in my OP. You put me on ice, baby.
---
Thank you for posting. Here at the Forum we greatly value your input!- TheHarmfulOne
#7Chaos ScadePosted 11/17/2012 5:16:51 AM
Suibom posted...
Burning_WolfX posted...
The Orthodox Church has never taught the Rapture

They should. It's 100% scriptural.

For all their tradition, they can't even make sense of simple things like this.

omg lmao
---
Taste the fountain of immortality.
http://i43.tinypic.com/iqehc6.jpg
#8SuibomPosted 11/17/2012 5:24:13 AM
Do you have orthodox radar or something, Chaos?!

It's pretty funny.
---
#9Chaos ScadePosted 11/17/2012 5:55:36 AM(edited)
I actually came back in here to tell JonWood that I think his thinking on these issues is really simplistic (after reading his post earlier on my phone), and then I see that you've gone and done this.
---
Taste the fountain of immortality.
http://i43.tinypic.com/iqehc6.jpg
#10SuibomPosted 11/17/2012 5:57:51 AM
Gone and done this?

LoL

Sorry, I read that and pictured you running around your house, hands waving, and crying out "Catastrophe!!!!"
---