This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Christian extremists hoping for the rapture are a sad lot

#21SuibomPosted 11/17/2012 11:21:48 AM
3. Paul spoke of it in his teaching on the Antichrist.
- Our gathering to Him wouldn't happen until after a great falling away (Jesus spoke of this in Matthew 24:10-13), and the Antichrist is revealed (Jesus spoke of this in Matthew 24:15)

"Now, brethren, concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our gathering together to Him, we ask you, not to be soon shaken in mind or troubled, either by spirit or by word or by letter, as if from us, as though the day of Christ had come. Let no one deceive you by any means; for that Day will not come unless the falling away comes first, and the man of sin is revealed, the son of perdition, who opposes and exalts himself above all that is called God or that is worshiped, so that he sits as God in the temple of God, showing himself that he is God. Do you not remember that when I was still with you I told you these things? And now you know what is restraining, that he may be revealed in his own time. For the mystery of lawlessness is already at work; only He who now restrains will do so until He is taken out of the way. And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord will consume with the breath of His mouth and destroy with the brightness of His coming. The coming of the lawless one is according to the working of Satan, with all power, signs, and lying wonders, and with all unrighteous deception among those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth, that they might be saved. And for this reason God will send them strong delusion, that they should believe the lie, that they all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness." (II Thessalonians 2:1-12 NKJV)
---
"Remember those who are in prison, as though in prison with them, and those who are mistreated, since you also are in the body." Hebrews 13:3 ESV
#22SuibomPosted 11/17/2012 11:22:34 AM
4. John spoke of it in his vision of the end-times.
- The last trumpet is sounded, signaling the kingdoms of the world becoming the Lord's, and that wrath would follow
- Jesus descends and the Harvest is reaped
- Our gathering to Him, the Rapture, happens after the Antichrist is revealed, after the last trumpet is sounded, and before the wrath of God is poured out.

"Then the seventh angel sounded: And there were loud voices in heaven, saying, “The kingdoms of this world have become the kingdoms of our Lord and of His Christ, and He shall reign forever and ever!” And the twenty-four elders who sat before God on their thrones fell on their faces and worshiped God, saying: “We give You thanks, O Lord God Almighty, The One who is and who was and who is to come, Because You have taken Your great power and reigned. The nations were angry, and Your wrath has come, And the time of the dead, that they should be judged, And that You should reward Your servants the prophets and the saints, And those who fear Your name, small and great, And should destroy those who destroy the earth.” (Revelation 11:15-18 NKJV)

"Then I looked, and behold, a white cloud, and on the cloud sat One like the Son of Man, having on His head a golden crown, and in His hand a sharp sickle. And another angel came out of the temple, crying with a loud voice to Him who sat on the cloud, “Thrust in Your sickle and reap, for the time has come for You to reap, for the harvest of the earth is ripe.” So He who sat on the cloud thrust in His sickle on the earth, and the earth was reaped." (Revelation 14:14-16 NKJV)

To me, everything fits. To say we leave before the tribulation doesn't jive with the whole of Scripture, and neither does saying we don't leave at all. In the timeline of end-time events, to me, this best explains what is stated in scripture.
---
"Remember those who are in prison, as though in prison with them, and those who are mistreated, since you also are in the body." Hebrews 13:3 ESV
#23SuibomPosted 11/17/2012 11:23:27 AM
Scarfed down a PB&J too, in case you were wondering.
---
#24JonWood007Posted 11/17/2012 11:49:41 AM
People have ALWAYS thought that they are "the" generation....and they're ALWAYS wrong. I'm more scared about global warming than religious apocalypse.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 5850 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#25SuibomPosted 11/17/2012 11:53:42 AM
Jon, can I borrow a hoodie?

All your hand-waving is making me cold.

Nobody said anything about this generation being THE generation.
---
#26JonWood007Posted 11/17/2012 12:40:10 PM(edited)
Oh, my mistake, I misread your post as us being in the middle of said tribulation. Still....I find all this second coming crap to be irrational....I don't think they were meant for us. Studying history, I think that Christianity began as an apocalpytic cult...not much different than the cults of today (although minus the suicide and violence you see among the looney bins). I see no reason to believe anything in the Bible will actually happen. And I'm greatly disturbed for our society how this belief will affect us. Some people totally blow off global warming and the prospect of middle eastern war because who cares, Jesus is coming back, lets make him come back faster.

Also, to take some excerpts from your posts:

Assuredly, I say to you, this generation will by no means pass away till all these things take place.

This generation. Then Paul had to go on addressing the whole everyone dying thing. We're still waiting.

The whole thing is, you have an extreme vague prophecy about it coming at any time, when we least expect it, blah blah blah, and some references to the generation not passing away, but then a shift in rationalization when they did...seems legit.

Do yourself a favor and learn the historical context of the New Testament. It does wonders at unraveling all of this stuff.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 5850 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
#27OrangeWizardPosted 11/17/2012 12:42:03 PM
This generation

"This" as in "The generation I was talking to?" Or "This" as in "The generation right here and now."

And by the by, how long is a "generation?"
---
Hi, I'm Larry the shivering chipmunk
Brr, I'm cold, I need a sweater.
#28JonWood007Posted 11/17/2012 12:50:06 PM(edited)
OrangeWizard posted...
This generation

"This" as in "The generation I was talking to?" Or "This" as in "The generation right here and now."

And by the by, how long is a "generation?"

Definitely less than 2000 years. I'd say his original audience. I'd say the prophecies expired somewhere around 100 AD. Let's stick to the plain words of the text and not go through all kinds of hoops to legitimize your positions.
---
#29OrangeWizardPosted 11/17/2012 1:00:23 PM
Let's stick to the plain words of the text and not go through all kinds of hoops to legitimize your positions.

And the plain words of the text reveal what he meant by "This generation", which is "The generation that is seeing the signs that I just spoke about"
---
Hi, I'm Larry the shivering chipmunk
Brr, I'm cold, I need a sweater.
#30JonWood007Posted 11/17/2012 1:29:52 PM(edited)
OrangeWizard posted...
Let's stick to the plain words of the text and not go through all kinds of hoops to legitimize your positions.

And the plain words of the text reveal what he meant by "This generation", which is "The generation that is seeing the signs that I just spoke about"

This makes your prophecy timeless....which is a trick to make you believe it. Anyone can make a vague prophecy. Doesn't make it true. Also, that's not what the passage is saying.
---