This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

An article about the greatness of Atheist Christopher Hitchens

#1EmbraceChaosPosted 11/18/2012 9:19:14 PM
http://www.mrdestructo.com/2011/12/burn-in-hell-christopher-hitchens.html

A great and wonderful elaboration on Hitchens unique perspective on foreign affairs regarding religion and the damning arguments he brought against his foes. Further showing off his amazing intellect in religious debates and disproving many religious arguments made for why people should believe.

He will certainly be known for this as his legacy. :)
---
"Death's vastness holds no peace. I come at the end of the long road - neither human, nor devil... All bends to my will."
#2JonWood007Posted 11/18/2012 9:23:35 PM
I didnt read the whole article, too much stupidity.

I'm not really a fan of Hitchens. While he made some points, he was way too antitheist....and he sucked at debating. Christians tore him apart because he took his beliefs way too far.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 5850 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#3EmbraceChaos(Topic Creator)Posted 11/18/2012 9:27:08 PM
JonWood007 posted...
I didnt read the whole article, too much stupidity.

I'm not really a fan of Hitchens. While he made some points, he was way too antitheist....and he sucked at debating. Christians tore him apart because he took his beliefs way too far.

Ah, any atheists you are a fan of?

I use to be a fan of him and Harris.
---
"Death's vastness holds no peace. I come at the end of the long road - neither human, nor devil... All bends to my will."
#4JonWood007Posted 11/18/2012 9:55:42 PM(edited)
I like Matt Dillahunty, the guys on the atheist experience. I don't care for harris (mostly due to his nuke the middle east comments). Dawkins is ok. I like the more sciency ones like NDG Tyson, Stephen Hawking but even then, such scientists normally claim to be "agnostic".

Some of the more in your face ones (ie, hitchens, harris, dawkins), I'm not that big of a fan of, because they're too blatantly antitheist. I'm openly critical of religion. I constantly rip into it on here and all. But I'm not a rabid antitheist. I mean, I'm not a fan of religion. I think at times it is harmful, but to argue that it is completely devoid of any value is problematic. Religion inspires people to do good as well as bad. it's an imperfect human institution, and while I think we would be better off without it in the long term, I'm respectful of more peaceful people who embrace it (even though on here I come down hard on it...but then again, this is a RELIGION board...where we...you know....debate).

In short, I'm not really a fan of zealots. Even zealots I sorta agree with on some things. I mean, if your position is so one dimensional that I end up somewhat agreeing with William Lane Craig when you debate with him over the value of religion...you're doing it wrong.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 5850 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
#5Julian_CaesarPosted 11/18/2012 9:59:15 PM
I mean, if your position is so one dimensional that I end up somewhat agreeing with William Lane Craig when you debate with him over the value of religion...you're doing it wrong.

Ouch.
---
Every day the rest of your life is changed forever.
#6EmbraceChaos(Topic Creator)Posted 11/18/2012 10:59:21 PM
JonWood007 posted...
I like Matt Dillahunty, the guys on the atheist experience. I don't care for harris (mostly due to his nuke the middle east comments). Dawkins is ok. I like the more sciency ones like NDG Tyson, Stephen Hawking but even then, such scientists normally claim to be "agnostic".

Some of the more in your face ones (ie, hitchens, harris, dawkins), I'm not that big of a fan of, because they're too blatantly antitheist. I'm openly critical of religion. I constantly rip into it on here and all. But I'm not a rabid antitheist. I mean, I'm not a fan of religion. I think at times it is harmful, but to argue that it is completely devoid of any value is problematic. Religion inspires people to do good as well as bad. it's an imperfect human institution, and while I think we would be better off without it in the long term, I'm respectful of more peaceful people who embrace it (even though on here I come down hard on it...but then again, this is a RELIGION board...where we...you know....debate).

In short, I'm not really a fan of zealots. Even zealots I sorta agree with on some things. I mean, if your position is so one dimensional that I end up somewhat agreeing with William Lane Craig when you debate with him over the value of religion...you're doing it wrong.

Or against Dinesh D'Souza, who basically self-confirmed himself as an idiot with that stupid Obama movie.
---
#7JonWood007Posted 11/18/2012 11:02:03 PM(edited)
^^Never heard him debate DSouza, only Craig and Al Sharpton...Hitchens lost both debates IMO (Sharpton I have a lot of respect for his opinions....Craig..not so much). But yeah, DSouza is a nut.
---
#8EmbraceChaos(Topic Creator)Posted 11/18/2012 11:10:34 PM
JonWood007 posted...
^^Never heard him debate DSouza, only Craig and Al Sharpton...Hitchens lost both debates IMO (Sharpton I have a lot of respect for his opinions....Craig..not so much). But yeah, DSouza is a nut.

I sometimes wonder if the nutty religious folks and nutty atheists find each other the same way circlejerking groups find each other. That's what these debates really seem like as I reflect back on them.
---
#9JonWood007Posted 11/18/2012 11:25:40 PM
Well a lot of the Christians jumped on Hitchens over his "God is not great" book, which is what those debates are about.
---
#10EmbraceChaos(Topic Creator)Posted 11/18/2012 11:40:20 PM
JonWood007 posted...
Well a lot of the Christians jumped on Hitchens over his "God is not great" book, which is what those debates are about.

Pfft. Bunch of circlejerking charlatans on both sides.
---