This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

An article about the greatness of Atheist Christopher Hitchens

#21SSj4WingzeroPosted 11/25/2012 7:10:08 PM
The New Atheists (Hitchens and Harris, in particular) get taken to town by Chris Hedges, who makes a very good argument when he compares them quite accurately to their Christian fundamentalist enemies when it comes to their political views.
---
Not changing this sig until the Knicks win the NBA Championship! Started...4/23/2011? Or was it 2010?
#22EmbraceChaos(Topic Creator)Posted 11/29/2012 5:09:09 PM
SSj4Wingzero posted...
The New Atheists (Hitchens and Harris, in particular) get taken to town by Chris Hedges, who makes a very good argument when he compares them quite accurately to their Christian fundamentalist enemies when it comes to their political views.

Oh definitely, Hedges crushed them both in his debates with them. Hitchens argument was shattered and Harris became so embarrassed that he outright refuses to even go on talkshows if they so much as mention Hedges. Shows how pathetic of a person Harris really is.

At the very least, Hitchens wasn't a coward and seemed to take his defeat with more stride.
---
"Death's vastness holds no peace. I come at the end of the long road - neither human, nor devil... All bends to my will."
#23EmbraceChaos(Topic Creator)Posted 11/29/2012 5:11:32 PM
Iamvegito posted...
I thought this was a religion board. Is atheism a religion now, or is this purely off-topic?

It's defined as a religion by conservapedia... so uh... that's actually up for debate now... >_>
---
"Death's vastness holds no peace. I come at the end of the long road - neither human, nor devil... All bends to my will."
#24IamvegitoPosted 11/29/2012 5:45:00 PM
Touché.
---
"A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid."
#25IvashankoPosted 11/29/2012 6:02:47 PM(edited)
His outright manipulation of historical facts was odious. The name of his book 'The Missionary Position' alone should disqualify him from being thought of as a 'great thinker'.

. It's been a little while since I listened to them too, but normally, I expect atheists to dominate these debates in terms of substance (style is a different story).

I suppose this one differs depending on the ideas you bring into watching the debate. I find myself thinking the opposite more often than not.

Anyways, for the purposes of identification, atheism is a form of religious belief. It is not a religion itself, however, though most things that can be ascribed to religion can be ascribed to atheism, such as 'killing in the name of atheism'. Admittedly that 'killing' is only in the name of a sub-set of atheism (anti-theism), but the same can be said for killings in the name of religion (hence why we don't tar all Muslims with the term 'terrorists').
#26EmbraceChaos(Topic Creator)Posted 11/29/2012 6:24:20 PM
I don't understand why religious folks on Conservapedia would even argue that Atheism is a religion. They're basically giving atheists protection under the first amendment in the US... >_>
---
#27BashyMcFetusPosted 11/30/2012 1:54:42 AM
Iamvegito posted...
I thought this was a religion board. Is atheism a religion now, or is this purely off-topic?

It's a Religion board, not a Religious board.
---
By Evolution, I mean Evolution. As in "I look different from my parents because of evolution" ~OrangeWizard
#28zyzzvya01Posted 11/30/2012 5:02:39 PM
His outright manipulation of historical facts was odious. The name of his book 'The Missionary Position' alone should disqualify him from being thought of as a 'great thinker'.

Anyways, for the purposes of identification, atheism is a form of religious belief. It is not a religion itself, however, though most things that can be ascribed to religion can be ascribed to atheism, such as 'killing in the name of atheism'. Admittedly that 'killing' is only in the name of a sub-set of atheism (anti-theism), but the same can be said for killings in the name of religion (hence why we don't tar all Muslims with the term 'terrorists').

Source?