The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The Selfish Gene and the God Delusion

#1darkmaian23Posted 11/18/2012 11:49:40 PM
I have these books and the Greatest Show on Earth coming soon from Amazon. Have any of you guys read either book before? What did you think of them? My interest in the books was spurred in response to watching some specials Richard Dawkins starred in.
#2AynRandySavagePosted 11/19/2012 7:57:26 AM
Dawkins is better on biology than on Religion, but The God Delusion is a pretty good introduction to how atheists think.
#3almasbabyPosted 11/20/2012 1:06:14 AM
Dawkins is a great writer on evolution. I read Blind Watchmaker which is one of the best books I've read on the subject. I read a little of The God Delusion but wasn't as impressed since I'm more interested in religious mysticism than I am in institutional religion, which is the subject of his attack. If you ask me, it's a pretty easy target and I've never been impressed with either his or Hitchen's campaign against it.
---
They say people get what they deserve, but Lord sometimes it's much worse than that. - John Cougar Mellencamp (Empty Hands)
#4Polish_CrusaderPosted 11/20/2012 4:08:12 AM
i should write a book called the atheist delusion. About all the follys and made up fabrications that i come across in atheist arguments. Hmm i wonder how that would sell.
#5Hustle KongPosted 11/20/2012 4:35:45 AM
Can that target audience read, Polish?
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#6CdrRoguePosted 11/20/2012 5:18:48 AM
"If you ask me, it's a pretty easy target and I've never been impressed with either his or Hitchen's campaign against it."

It's only an easy target because it is so obscenely ridiculous, though. They're not trying to impress people or challenge themselves, they're trying to spread their message and make people realize it's okay to criticize absurd beliefs. While there's still a taboo against that, it's a battle worth fighting.
#7Lord_IchmaelPosted 11/20/2012 7:34:00 AM
Polish_Crusader posted...
i should write a book called the atheist delusion. About all the follys and made up fabrications that i come across in atheist arguments. Hmm i wonder how that would sell.

There's already a book called "The Dawkins Delusion" and at least reviews titled "The Atheist Delusion".

Anyway, I've read about half of The God Delusion. Pretty good book, but just a bit too over-the-top for me.
#8mrplainswalkerPosted 11/20/2012 7:35:38 AM
The God Delusion started off ok and then really waned. I remember 2 full chapters on the anthropic principle...something that could be summarized in a single paragraph. Haven't looked at The Selfish Gene.
---
Failure to at least give this show a chance gives anyone you see the right to punch you in the face.
- Spiritclaw on Battlestar Galactica
#9SirThinkALotPosted 11/20/2012 7:42:48 AM(edited)
The Selfish Gene is pretty good. I dont know if Dawkins thesis can fully acount for morality, but I'll leave that for you to decide...

The God Delusion, on the other hand, is pretty bad. The only worthwhile part of it is the section where he goes over the evidence for evolution, and even there its a subject he's covered better elsewhere.

I havent read The Greatest Show on Earth. I keep saying I'm going to, but dont quite get to it.

Dawkins is a great writer on evolution. I read Blind Watchmaker which is one of the best books I've read on the subject. I

Yea I enjoyed the Blind Watchmaker, much more than the Selfish Gene or the God Delusion. Its a little out of date now(unless theres been newer editions maybe?), but its still an excellent demolishing of creationist claims.
---
Learn real history and economics at liberty Classroom
http://www.libertyclassroom.com/dap/a/?a=1305
#10JonWood007Posted 11/20/2012 9:50:24 AM
Polish_Crusader posted...

I'd read it for the lulz. Then write a lengthy response pointing out all the errors in it =P.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 5850 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768