This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

BSF study for tonight: God blesses those who exemplify faith in him.

#1Polish_CrusaderPosted 11/19/2012 7:46:26 PM
Principle 1: God changes the lives of the faithful.
-application- How has God changed your life?

Principle 2: Our faith grows as our understanding of God increases.
-application- How has your understanding of God increased and how is that demonstrated in your life?

Principle 3: God rewards a life of faith.
-application- Are you living a life worthy of reward?

Ask yourself, gamefaqsers...

1.)Has god changed your life? Do you seriously expect God to do wonders in your life if you dont even have a mustard seed of faith in him?
2.)Do you seek to understand God? Why / why not?
3.)Do you want reward from God? Do you know that God only rewards the faithful?
3a) If you died and stood infront of God right now. What would you have to show? What would you say? What if God asked you "Why should i let you in my kingdom?"

- I myself, have so much to learn and am only on the beginning of the journey that i want to complete. The first step in finding the answer is to ask the question first, folks. Keep searching. Keep reading. Keep thinking. Jesus is real and so is his power.
#2Polish_Crusader(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2012 7:48:29 PM
Im sorry i didnt specify. These notes are directly copied from the BSF study from tonight. For those who dont know BSF is the largest bible study in the world. With classes in almost every major city you can think of (from beijing to austin, tx). I put exactly what they put on the screen of the study questions. So these are not my notes. The 3 questions on the bottom however are my added questions based off of the notes.
#3Hustle KongPosted 11/19/2012 7:53:52 PM
1.)Has god changed your life? Do you seriously expect God to do wonders in your life if you dont even have a mustard seed of faith in him?

1a: If He has, it's not been in any way I can tell. 1b: I don't expect any gods to do anything.

2.)Do you seek to understand God? Why / why not?

I seek to understand the faith of others.

3.)Do you want reward from God? Do you know that God only rewards the faithful?

3b: No. 3c: not looking for rewards b

3a) If you died and stood infront of God right now. What would you have to show? What would you say? What if God asked you "Why should i let you in my kingdom?"

3a: I'd ask him "why should you?" If someone is expecting an explanation from me, they're not going to get much besides a twist of their nose.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#4JonWood007Posted 11/19/2012 8:21:37 PM
SOmething I've been thinking about between this topic and your other one...who is to say God rewards a life of faith? Yes, it's a common theme throughout the OT, but at the same time, there are dissenting voices. Look at Job for instance. He lived a life of righteousness and God and Satan trolled him hard. I was doing my own studies with that online yale course and I learned in their lecture on Job that a big lesson of the book is that God does not reward based on faith and punish based on sin. All of Job's friends were wrong when they said Job or his family must have sinned to have been punished like that. God just did what he wanted to do. While yes, Job was eventually rewarded for faithfulness, that does not mean everyone is. And as for heaven...that's completely unverifiable.

I think this model is a lot more accurate of the world around us. People who follow God don't live happy go lucky lives. Heck, those who were closest to Jesus died horrible, horrible deaths. To claim will be rewarded for following God (or your interpretation thereof) has some Biblical support, but it also is contradicted by other sources of the Bible, and is completely unverifiable IRL. I prefer the explanation that crap just happens, since it makes more sense.

1) I don't know. I will say that I once had faith at least the size of the mustard seed (since it is the smallest of all seeds), but I don't feel like it necessarily got me anywhere...

2) Absolutely. But I think we have different ideas of how God could be knowable.

3) Reward would be nice. WHo wouldn't want a reward? I also don't believe God necessarily rewards the faithful, as I expressed above.

3a) I would say I tried my best. I'm sorry I missed whatever signs he supposedly tried to give me but they weren't convincing. However, now that I'm in front of him I'd know he's real and I'd ask him questions. As for what I have to show...do any of us have anything to show? Paul said our best deeds are but filthy rags. All I can say is hey, I tried.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 5850 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#5Polish_Crusader(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2012 8:25:19 PM
Did you read the book of Job? In the end his faith was rewarded and he gained back all he lost and more. He was even more wealthy than before the devil attacked him. lol the book of job is the perfect example. Job was tested, he passed, he got rewarded.
#6Polish_Crusader(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2012 8:29:02 PM
Those who were closest to jesus received the highest reward. Did you read the book of revelation. The disciples were all around him (jesus) at his throne. The Lord specifically tells us if we die from serving the lord (which all of the disciples were killed for their faith except for one) then we will receive an even greater reward. Again great example. I love you jonwood.
#7JonWood007Posted 11/19/2012 8:46:07 PM(edited)
What about Job's first family?

Also, you seem to forget that a major theme of Job is it's problematic to speculate on systems of divine justice. Job's friends states he must have been punished for something, and God got ticked off for claiming wrongly. Yes, he was rewarded in the end, but who is to say everyone who suffers does? Looking at suffering around the world, believers suffer, nonbelievers suffer. What's the difference? Crap happens. I'd argue Job was written to explain why people who follow the covenant still suffer...it was written around the babylonian times, maybe slightly later. Lots of negative literature came out at that time. Job, Lamentations, etc. Not a happy time. The jews came up with new theology to explain why things went wrong, even if one remains true to the covenant. When bad things happen to a believer, it's difficult to determine why. Is it due to a sin? is it due to a test? Is there a purpose? The questions are endless, and to guess leads to fallacious, unfounded answers. It's a folly equal to that of Job's friends. And this is the point of books like Job. To provide an alternate viewpoint that goes against the grain. To point out it's not as simple as follow God and good things happen. It's fallacious to assume that people who follow God get rewards...there's no proof, especially when you get into heaven. Faith is but a placebo effect.

Sorry, I have a hard time believing in a system of divine justice. There's no evidence of this at all.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 5850 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
#8Dathrowed1Posted 11/19/2012 9:26:38 PM
I saw that Yale course, she didn't go as deep into Ecclesiastes as I hoped
---
sig
#9JonWood007Posted 11/19/2012 9:37:51 PM(edited)
Yeah. I like Ecclesiastes too. So much different than the rest of the Bible. Basically more in line with my perspective: "crap happens". Just listened to the one on Daniel. More of the same. The jews could not rationalize why they were being punished FOR following yahweh, which is why they made this apocalpytic literature of God punishing evil doers and ushering in a new age...which goes into all the new testament concepts and really explains a lot about jesus and what he preached. Once again, it's not as simple as God rewards those who follow him.

Context context context. It's as important to know about the historical context of the Bible as much as what it actually says. You can read the Bible in one way, but modern, faith based interpretations will get in the way. The best way to get a deep understanding of the Bible is to understand under what conditions it was written and what it was getting at. This pat of my post is more for everyone btw.
---
#10Dathrowed1Posted 11/20/2012 5:09:40 AM
I think the Hebrew scriptures makes it obvious the Jews weren't even trying to follow Jehovah
---
sig