This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The meteoric rise of Brazil.

#31anavriNPosted 11/20/2012 8:05:33 PM
^^
But now I do not understand why you brought up Poland in the first place. You seem to agree with me that Poland is, economically speaking, not in any privileged position in Europe whatsoever.

Again, there are many counterexamples to your idea that there is some causal connection between countries becoming more or less christian and more or less affluent.
---
§ 157. Der Gedanke an den Selbstmord ist ein starkes Trostmittel: mit ihm kommt man gut über manche böse Nacht hinweg.
#32JonWood007Posted 11/20/2012 8:12:19 PM
Yeah, a lot of eastern europe is screwed up from communism. Anyway, to answer ichmael's question, according to some articles I found, Christianity's moral system makes people more honest and willing to work harder, which is beneficial to the economy. No magic forces or anything, it's just a factor that helps.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 5850 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#33Polish_Crusader(Topic Creator)Posted 11/20/2012 9:09:09 PM
anavriN posted...
^^
But now I do not understand why you brought up Poland in the first place. You seem to agree with me that Poland is, economically speaking, not in any privileged position in Europe whatsoever.

Again, there are many counterexamples to your idea that there is some causal connection between countries becoming more or less christian and more or less affluent.

-Oh no it is. Poland was the only european country to continue growing during the global recession of 2008. The poland economy is always growing but it has come from such a low point that it is still lower than western europe. But luckily the polish govt is smart enough to stay out of the euro, which is collapsing right now. The zwaty is still strong. Polands existence in of itself is a blessing knowing how many times they were taken over by foreign powers (russia, germany, mongols, turks, swedes, austrians, prussians, etc.). Its not just blessings of money.
#34Lord_IchmaelPosted 11/20/2012 9:10:25 PM
But Polish_Crusader seems to be implying that something beyond that is at work here. Sure, Christianity's teachings can make people act better, but that is not something Christianity has exclusive dominion over, as you pointed out concerning the secular societies of Western Europe.
#35JonWood007Posted 11/20/2012 9:19:18 PM
Pretty much, nothing divine detectable here, just that christianity teaches people to be good.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 5850 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#36Sir WillPosted 11/20/2012 10:05:07 PM
I hate missionaries. Sure they do some good. They also spread doctrine, lies, and corruption. They are partially responsible for harsher anti-gay laws coming into effect in Uganda.
---
River Song: Well, I was off to this gay gypsy bar mitzvah for the disabled when I thought 'Gosh, the Third Reich's a bit rubbish, I think i'll kill the Fuhrer'
#37trentonchasePosted 11/20/2012 10:19:15 PM
On the subject of Europe, if God really is exerting control over the global economy, why is it that secular Scandinavia is so prosperous, while largely Christian Italy, Spain and Ireland are in so much economic trouble?
---
Born amidst salt and smoke? Is he a ham?
#38anavriNPosted 11/21/2012 7:00:44 AM
-Oh no it is. Poland was the only european country to continue growing during the global recession of 2008. The poland economy is always growing but it has come from such a low point that it is still lower than western europe.

Which makes your point rather meek. It's easy to increase your income if all you've done before is make minimum wage. Even when most West-European countries are in decline and Poland is growing, West-Europe is still a lot better of than Poland (economically speaking).

And again, what exactly is your point here? You keep ignoring the many counterexamples to your untenable idea that there is a connection between a country being religious and a country being prosperous. Poland is hardly more religious now than it was in the past.

And to add a painful fact: the reason Christianity is so dominant in Poland these days is due to the Holocaust, which wiped out the majority of Poland's Jews and gypsies. So here's your grace: it's a direct result of genocide.
---
§ 157. Der Gedanke an den Selbstmord ist ein starkes Trostmittel: mit ihm kommt man gut über manche böse Nacht hinweg.
#39ThuggernautzPosted 11/21/2012 9:17:24 AM
How about Australia, Japan and New Zealand? All first world countries, all relatively low levels of Christianity and all having strong, healthy economies and great social programs? Your 'evidence' is looking a little sketchy here. Hell, the PM of Australia is an avowed Atheist.
#40Billy Bob JoePosted 11/21/2012 11:01:39 PM
Religious evil, scientific evil, financial evil, health evil. It really is mind blowing how much destruction the soviet union caused culturally and physically in all of eastern europe. Entire towns in ukraine and poland were either seriously reduced of people or wiped out all together through kilings and forced starvation. But i dont want to go off topic.

So where was God looking out for his faithful in all of this?
---
Because ghosts are just trying to keep a brother down. Check your undead privilege ecto-scum. -Loshadt
IT'S LIKE HIS FACE IS LEAKING OUR FREEDOM -JohnnyTHM1212