This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Church bans kids instead of removing sex offendor as pastor

#11BashyMcFetusPosted 11/21/2012 8:57:54 PM
Thuggernautz posted...
But that doesn't resolve the issue; what would be the acceptable recidivism rates to accept previous offenders into these positions?

0%
---
By Evolution, I mean Evolution. As in "I look different from my parents because of evolution" ~OrangeWizard
#12Kaiser1onePosted 11/23/2012 9:56:28 AM
I live in jax. Ha! i remember this story. I was like, wtf??????
---
Why is it that the world can't spell "lose" right???
#13SSj4WingzeroPosted 11/23/2012 10:19:34 AM
Sometimes I wonder if a main reason sex offenders relapse after prison is the fact that they're stigmatized by society and forced to constantly declare and recount their previous crimes even years after they've happened.

If you have to repeat the phrase "I am a registered sex offender" or check the box so many times, maybe after a while, you just believe that you're irredeemable. Once that happens, who cares?
---
Not changing this sig until the Knicks win the NBA Championship! Started...4/23/2011? Or was it 2010?
#14Julian_CaesarPosted 11/24/2012 4:19:58 PM
Sometimes I wonder if a main reason sex offenders relapse after prison is the fact that they're stigmatized by society and forced to constantly declare and recount their previous crimes even years after they've happened.

If you have to repeat the phrase "I am a registered sex offender" or check the box so many times, maybe after a while, you just believe that you're irredeemable. Once that happens, who cares?

I've wondered this too. For a society whose intelligentsia claims to be such a fan of "rehabilitation" for drug crimes and the like, we as a society have an incredible disdain for sex offenders that goes beyond mere criminal disdain.
---
Every day the rest of your life is changed forever.
#15SSj4WingzeroPosted 11/25/2012 7:32:57 PM
The problem with it is that we stigmatize them, and often for small things. When people have to register as sex offenders for things as innocent as urinating in public...

The sex offender registry is something that stigmatizes a person for life, prevents them from getting most jobs or making friends, and...that's somehow supposed to make them less likely to commit a crime again? Especially in cases where the initial crime was something stupid? It's one thing if we're talking about serial rapists, it's another thing if we're talking about some guy who got drunk and ended up going home with a 17-year-old with a fake ID at a bar who, because of one conviction for statutory rape, is going to be unable to get a job with any even remotely respectable firm ever again.

They should put in a law that allows your name to disappear from the public sex offender registry if you've stayed clean for a certain amount of time, or something. Maybe he/she still has to register as a sex offender, but the information should be kept private solely in the hands of law enforcement. And of course, they shouldn't be using the registry unless it's for something actually serious.
---
Not changing this sig until the Knicks win the NBA Championship! Started...4/23/2011? Or was it 2010?
#16HeroicSomaCruzPosted 11/25/2012 7:45:47 PM
My word, you people have some serious sense. You are the smartest people I have seen. If you go on Huffington Post and read up on crimes, the HEINOUS ones, every comment involves someone condemning the person to eternal suffering. It's saddening, really, because I want to believe there's hope for anybody.

Thinking about hell for anybody, eternal suffering and burning, is NOT pleasant, and I would gladly forgive even my GREATEST enemy for their sins if that meant they didn't have to writhe in agony for eternity.

That said, sex offenders have some horrible stigma. Going back to my first paragraph, I secretly pray for them. I'm not excusing their behavior, but I'm also not going to be one throwing hammers of judgment at them either. I don't want other people to suffer, victim or convict, and I know humanity has a violent history of how they torture other people.

Anyway, one thing I've noticed on the forums is that they say sex offenders and rapists cannot be rehabilitated. It's always that they'll re-offend, they should be shot, tortured slowly, burning in hell, etc. They make it seem a completely hopeless scenario of pure hate, disdain, and no forgiveness that will last with them for all eternity. It sickens me to the core, as do the crimes of the perpetrators, but in some cases, I swear there are people who want hope, and want to change so they can be saved.

If I were in Heaven as an angel who judged others, I would keep many of them in limbo to undergo trials of soul cleansing, or even give them another chance in life as a new, hopefully better person. I would be the defense attorney trying to see no one go to hell.

Anyway, why are they like that? People on there are so violent.
---
http://tinyurl.com/ckb9ykw
http://www.gamerhandles.com/sig/Durango.jpg
#17Julian_CaesarPosted 11/27/2012 1:19:47 AM
Anyway, why are they like that? People on there are so violent.

Huffington Post

Well, it's more or less a yellow journalism website. Much of their "strategy" revolves around posting/reposting various kinds of shocking or controversial content, which lend themselves to lots of "la la la i cant hear you" comments and other such "discussion", lol. More comments and more "discussion" means more page views, more ad revenue, etc.
---
Every day the rest of your life is changed forever.
#18HeroicSomaCruzPosted 12/1/2012 12:32:06 PM
Quote:From: SSj4Wingzero | #013

I've wondered this too. For a society whose intelligentsia claims to be such a fan of "rehabilitation" for drug crimes and the like, we as a society have an incredible disdain for sex offenders that goes beyond mere criminal disdain.

@Julian_Caesar

We have POS justice system, bloodthirsty conservatives, and yellow journalism to thank for that.

A man in Norway is getting 10-21 years for a massacre. His cell is going to look like a hotel room, he'll have access to all kinds of things, and they will try to rehab him in the process.

We just like to throw 'em in and hate our criminals. There is no hope in America.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.10
#19Sir WillPosted 12/3/2012 6:57:18 AM
Julian_Caesar posted...

The US justice system has nothing to do with rehabilitation. It's a business. it treats criminals like dirt and basically encourages them to reoffend. Which is fine with the prison people cause they make money from it.
---
River Song: Well, I was off to this gay gypsy bar mitzvah for the disabled when I thought 'Gosh, the Third Reich's a bit rubbish, I think i'll kill the Fuhrer'
#20sthaterPosted 12/3/2012 10:30:53 AM
SSj4Wingzero posted...
The problem with it is that we stigmatize them, and often for small things. When people have to register as sex offenders for things as innocent as urinating in public...

The sex offender registry is something that stigmatizes a person for life, prevents them from getting most jobs or making friends, and...that's somehow supposed to make them less likely to commit a crime again? Especially in cases where the initial crime was something stupid? It's one thing if we're talking about serial rapists, it's another thing if we're talking about some guy who got drunk and ended up going home with a 17-year-old with a fake ID at a bar who, because of one conviction for statutory rape, is going to be unable to get a job with any even remotely respectable firm ever again.

They should put in a law that allows your name to disappear from the public sex offender registry if you've stayed clean for a certain amount of time, or something. Maybe he/she still has to register as a sex offender, but the information should be kept private solely in the hands of law enforcement. And of course, they shouldn't be using the registry unless it's for something actually serious.

This is probably my main objection of the sex offender thing... it's just really too broad. I mean as you said one might be forced to register as a sex offender because they really had to urinate and couldn't get to a bathroom for some reason or another and they get lumped in with serious child molesters and rapists and that's ridiculous
---
We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.