This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Question for christians who accept evolutionary theory

#31fudrickPosted 11/25/2012 11:00:01 PM
JonWood007 posted...
Species are determined when one organism cannot mate with another anymore.

Well, not necessarily.
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#32Faust_8Posted 11/26/2012 12:07:49 AM
Species has always had some fuzziness in its definition. After all, lions and tigers can breed, but they're certainly not the same species. Same with donkeys and horses. But ligers and mules aren't fertile you say...

Many dogs, wolves, coyotes, and dingos can all breed together but the coyote is not of the lupus species and dingos and dogs are subspecies of lupus. And the offspring they produce ARE fertile.

Species is kind of hard to define with high exactitude. There will always be exceptions.
---
The supernatural says that if you act a certain way you might avoid suffering. But reality says you came from the stars...
#33JamesB0ndOO7Posted 11/26/2012 12:14:14 AM(edited)
JamesB0ndOO7 posted...
It never says they do or do not.

He says they can eat plants, and that animals can eat plants, but then

And, I mean, I'm also pretty confident Adam and Eve never existed in the first place. I'm just working under the assumption that the bible is true here.

But it never says anything close to that. I just reread Genesis 1-3. Please cite your verses.

And please make sure you use a real translation and not a bad one like the KJV.
---
There's no shame in being ashamed of yourself ~TheGeneralPublic
I love plenty of men. ~the hedonist
#34fudrickPosted 11/26/2012 12:33:09 AM
Oops, somehow I undid half of what I wrote in that post. I meant to say:

...but then, after the flood, he says that humans can eat animals.
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#35fudrickPosted 11/26/2012 12:50:58 AM
Genesis 9:3 NIV

"2 The fear and dread of you will fall on all the beasts of the earth, and on all the birds in the sky, on every creature that moves along the ground, and on all the fish in the sea; they are given into your hands. 3 Everything that lives and moves about will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

So that should clear that up. Seems like bfslick needs to do some bible study!
---
Best FCs:
#36SirThinkALotPosted 11/26/2012 5:36:08 AM
Without Adam and Eve....when did sin enter the world? Can't it be argued that God made an imperfect world that was full of sin?

Admitedly, this is a problem, but I dont think its a problem that a literal reading of Genesis solves. After all, if the world was perfect and there was no sin, why/how did Adam and Eve sin?

Where does myth end and reality begin with the Bible?

Generally speaking I see Genesis as a collection of early Jewish legends. Although there might be more legendary material as well. Really you might need to actually study these sorts of things(crazy idea I know).

Is the law really God inspired?

Inspired, yes, dictated, no.

if so, why is it so irrelevant today? Why did God wait until now to do all this stuff?

Could you elaborate on this?

Isnt the judeo-christian irrelevant in the larger scheme of things? I mean, the universe is 14 trillion years old, but Christianity is only 2000.

Sure, but I'm not of the opinion that Earth and Christianity are the ONLY things God created the universe for.
---
Learn real history and economics at liberty Classroom
http://www.libertyclassroom.com/dap/a/?a=1305
#37SirThinkALotPosted 11/26/2012 5:36:16 AM
What about the 1 million or so years before christ? Did they sin? Are they in hell?

They probably did sin, whether they are in hell or not is a more complicated question....

Do we have souls? When do we get souls? Did neanderthals have souls? if so, what about monkeys? If so, what about other mammals? if so, what about the fish? The birds? The dinosaurs? bacteria?

I would be open the possibility of non-humans having souls. Although I'm not really a dualist in the classical sense.

Are they responsible for their actions? on what basis does God decide who is responsible?

The ability to understand commands, reflection on actions an make moral choices.
---
#38SirThinkALotPosted 11/26/2012 5:58:26 AM
There's also the question of whether we really are made in God's image,

I dont see how evolution creates problem for this.

where angels/demons/God was before humanity, etc.

Out about taking care of other parts of the universe.

why God so preoccupies himself with our behavior, .We're largely irrelevant in the universe And tbqh, Christianity begins to look more and more like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E15IC3YKv8g) as far as God interacting with human beings. Id God exists, we're on such different levels it makes no sense for him to be so preoccupied with our every day lives

Thats because you are thinking too small. God is SO big that he can create every single thing in the universe and still care about the tiniest minutia in it. Bear in mind that he's not limited by space or time or capabilities.

Yea its kind of hard to comprehend, but its not really problematic.
---
#39anavriN(Topic Creator)Posted 11/26/2012 6:06:19 AM
I dont see how evolution creates problem for this.

Let me put it this way: evolution has less of a hard time explaining why the tip of my penis is shaped in such a way that it can scrape out another man's semen out of the vagina of my sexual partner.
---
§ 157. Der Gedanke an den Selbstmord ist ein starkes Trostmittel: mit ihm kommt man gut über manche böse Nacht hinweg.
#40IamvegitoPosted 11/26/2012 6:48:39 AM
a benevolent god

Biggest fallacy that is constantly spouted by angstheists.
---
"A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid."