This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I've got a question for Last Man Standing

#11TheRealJiraiyaPosted 11/25/2012 9:42:44 AM
CuddleWithClaws posted...
If missionaries did not go out, how would these people convert? Faith needs to be shared.

Word barfs don't convert anyone. Neither does ignoring other people.

This
---
"If a man does not know to what port he is sailing, no wind is favorable" -Seneca
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt
#12almasbaby(Topic Creator)Posted 11/25/2012 9:51:37 AM
Then I should tell you what's happened to me. I once had the classical mystical experience of being in God's presence. In that moment I experienced a feeling of compassion and mercy that revived my soul and brought me back to life. I had been going through a long, drawn out state of depression at the time. Like the song says I had been down so long it looked like up to me. This had been going on for years. And then, without notice I suddenly had this experience which rejuvenated me.

It was the "peace beyond understanding". I was reminded of the verse "every tear shall be dried" for there was no sorrow in me. What I came to understand from this is that God chooses the time and place of a person's rebirth. It has nothing to do with us, and any testimony given by another has no effect in hastening one's conversion. It's all in God's hands.

So I don't preach to anybody. If God wants them to know him, he'll reveal himself at his leisure the same as he did for me. Of course, in the ensuing years I've re-evaluated the experience. I've learned a little about psychology and cognitive science and I wonder if I personalized the experience in a way unique to my own psychological makeup.

But that's another topic. What's important here is... I don't preach. I'm left with the impression that all things are done in God's time. He's got it all worked out and he doesn't need any help from us to move it along.
#13LastManStandingPosted 11/25/2012 11:34:31 AM(edited)
almasbaby posted...
Then I should tell you what's happened to me. I once had the classical mystical experience of being in God's presence. In that moment I experienced a feeling of compassion and mercy that revived my soul and brought me back to life. I had been going through a long, drawn out state of depression at the time. Like the song says I had been down so long it looked like up to me. This had been going on for years. And then, without notice I suddenly had this experience which rejuvenated me.

It was the "peace beyond understanding". I was reminded of the verse "every tear shall be dried" for there was no sorrow in me. What I came to understand from this is that God chooses the time and place of a person's rebirth. It has nothing to do with us, and any testimony given by another has no effect in hastening one's conversion. It's all in God's hands.

So I don't preach to anybody. If God wants them to know him, he'll reveal himself at his leisure the same as he did for me. Of course, in the ensuing years I've re-evaluated the experience. I've learned a little about psychology and cognitive science and I wonder if I personalized the experience in a way unique to my own psychological makeup.

But that's another topic. What's important here is... I don't preach. I'm left with the impression that all things are done in God's time. He's got it all worked out and he doesn't need any help from us to move it along.

Glad you got out of depression.
I will just use the scripture here Matthew 5:14-16, about sharing of faith:

You are the light of the world. A city set on a mountain cannot be hidden.
Nor do they light a lamp and then put it under a bushel basket; it is set on a lampstand, where it gives light to all in the house
Just so, your light must shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your heavenly Father.

---
Divine Mercy - God Loves you
You will know them by their fruits says the Lord
#14almasbaby(Topic Creator)Posted 11/25/2012 5:12:23 PM
Nor do they light a lamp and then put it under a bushel basket; it is set on a lampstand, where it gives light to all in the house Just so, your light must shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your heavenly Father.

To me, the only way a person can glorify the Father is if they behold his glory themselves. That does not entail witnessing the good deeds of others, but in understanding the infinite magnitude of his wisdom and mercy from firsthand, personal revelation.
#15LastManStandingPosted 11/25/2012 5:14:11 PM
almasbaby posted...
Nor do they light a lamp and then put it under a bushel basket; it is set on a lampstand, where it gives light to all in the house Just so, your light must shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your heavenly Father.

To me, the only way a person can glorify the Father is if they behold his glory themselves. That does not entail witnessing the good deeds of others, but in understanding the infinite magnitude of his wisdom and mercy from firsthand, personal revelation.

To me my friend, I cannot argue with scripture, but follow it. God Bless
---
Divine Mercy - God Loves you
You will know them by their fruits says the Lord