This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Shikantaza

#1almasbabyPosted 11/24/2012 9:52:14 AM
This is a zen practice known as "just sitting". It's a state of being attentive to whatever is, not focusing on anything in particular. What perplexes me is I've heard more than one master say it's very difficult, more so than choosing one object such as the breath to focus on.

Personally, I find shikantaza to be easier. It's a strain to maintain singlemindedness on a particular object, whereas with "just sitting" you're open to all experience - your attentiveness is given more breathing space.

What say you who have engaged in this form of meditation? Do you find it difficult as compared to choosing a single object to focus on?

http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/awakening101/shikantaza.html
#2Hustle KongPosted 11/24/2012 10:15:37 AM
I guess I just take their word for it and assume shikantaza really is harder than zazen, and that what I would think is shikantaza really isn't quite it.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#3almasbaby(Topic Creator)Posted 11/24/2012 10:23:25 AM
I don't think there's any mystery about what it is. The instructions for it are clear enough. But there's a humility in your approach which is laudable.
#4Hustle KongPosted 11/24/2012 7:41:18 PM
From the beginning, nothing is hidden. ;p

I just haven't had any "dropping off of body and mind".
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#5TheWetRatPosted 11/24/2012 7:47:10 PM
I'll often alternate between shikantaza/zaen-style meditation and more traditional vipassana, depending on my mood and mental state. Sometimes one works better than the other.
---
Be confident in what you know; and don't be afraid of what you don't.
#6str8KnowledgePosted 11/25/2012 3:28:37 PM
I read some study that said zen people who did the open awareness meditation couldn't concentrate on reading because they were easily distracted by other things but had no negative reaction to it. The college students that didn't meditate could be absorbed in reading and wouldn't get distracted as easily.