This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can you repent with good deeds?

#11JonWood007Posted 11/25/2012 10:09:35 PM
Marioguy5 posted...
But faith without works is dead. It isn't 100% about faith, and not 100% about works. Faith is more important, but good deeds are also important.

Depends what part of the Bible you read. the NT in a sense encapsules the debate. paul taught faith only, but some critics like James taught works too. It should be noted James was not necessarily talking about the law like Paul was though, but about just...well...being good.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 5850 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#12HeroicSomaCruz(Topic Creator)Posted 11/26/2012 11:11:11 AM
TheRealJiraiya posted...
Hustle Kong posted...
No good actions will "undo" the evil you may have done. You'll still have to learn to face that and live with it. However, doing good to the point where you can look back and comfort yourself with the fact that you've mostly done good is a decent place to be.

I agree with this, but I also think that good deeds are not the means of repentance, they are the result.

If you are truly repentant and want to turn away from the evil youve done in the past and reform yourself as a better person, good deeds will come of it. But I think that turning away and pursuing of good is itself repentance. You are who you are, not who you were.

This, and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Universalism
---
http://tinyurl.com/ckb9ykw
http://www.gamerhandles.com/sig/Durango.jpg
#13DarkContractorPosted 11/26/2012 2:56:55 PM
Marioguy5 posted...
But faith without works is dead. It isn't 100% about faith, and not 100% about works. Faith is more important, but good deeds are also important.

Depends what part of the Bible you read. the NT in a sense encapsules the debate. paul taught faith only, but some critics like James taught works too. It should be noted James was not necessarily talking about the law like Paul was though, but about just...well...being good.

But Paul also taught a lifestyle changed is evidence of faith and taught that good works were undeniably subsequent of faith and the Holy Spirit's presence (actually just made a big post about this at the christianity general in my sig, if youre curious)
---
GameFAQs Christianity General, your GF home for Bible studies, testimonies, and worship: www.gamefaqs.com/boards/400-current-events/64738495
#14JonWood007Posted 11/26/2012 3:10:46 PM
Tbqh when Paul talked about good works, I almost felt like he was double backing on himself because he realized the gravity of what he was saying. The whole thing is, this makes what he's trying to say very murky and unclear.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 5850 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#15Lord_IchmaelPosted 11/26/2012 3:12:57 PM
And this is one of the reasons I think religion in general is a sham- "DO WHAT I TELL YOU TO/BELIEVE WHAT I TELL YOU TO BELIEVE OR ELSE SOMETHING I HAVEN'T PROVED EXISTS WILL TORTURE YOU FOREVER!" is said by both Christians and Muslims, and chances are other religions that no longer exist claimed the same thing. Good deeds don't matter, it's picking the right religion. Hence the "lottery' I described in a topic I made a while back.
#16Hustle KongPosted 11/26/2012 3:20:00 PM
"And this is one of the reasons I think religion in general is a sham- "

Good thing then that Buddhism—a very sizeable religion—invites one to try out any teaching for themselves before accepting it. But when most people say "religion in general", they mean the particular form of religion (usually a particular form of Christianity, not that is someone like a George MacDonald), and not a very broad view.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#17Lord_IchmaelPosted 11/26/2012 3:34:35 PM
Okay, fine, it's not most religions, just the dominant ones. I'm relatively neutral to Buddhism. My dad's one and I think some of it is valid, but still am not too interested in being one myself.
#18IamvegitoPosted 11/26/2012 3:40:31 PM
It's covenantal nomism, not a meritocracy.
---
"A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid."
#19TheRealJiraiyaPosted 11/26/2012 3:47:19 PM
Lord_Ichmael posted...
And this is one of the reasons I think religion in general is a sham- "DO WHAT I TELL YOU TO/BELIEVE WHAT I TELL YOU TO BELIEVE OR ELSE SOMETHING I HAVEN'T PROVED EXISTS WILL TORTURE YOU FOREVER!" is said by both Christians and Muslims, and chances are other religions that no longer exist claimed the same thing. Good deeds don't matter, it's picking the right religion. Hence the "lottery' I described in a topic I made a while back.

The TC appears to be a Universalist
---
"If a man does not know to what port he is sailing, no wind is favorable" -Seneca
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt
#20Hustle KongPosted 11/26/2012 3:51:13 PM
Lord_Ichmael posted...
Okay, fine, it's not most religions, just the dominant ones. I'm relatively neutral to Buddhism. My dad's one and I think some of it is valid, but still am not too interested in being one myself.

The thing is, your very thing that makes you call religion "in general" a sham isn't even common to all forms of Christianity.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.