This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can you repent with good deeds?

#21DarkContractorPosted 11/26/2012 7:49:33 PM(edited)

If this was the case he would have just started to rewrite his letters I think. Wouldn't Galatians 5 be at the beginning of Galatians instead of changing halfway through?

In the first letter of Paul, Romans, he references spiritual fruit in 1:13, and in 1:17 it says "This Good News tells us how God makes us right in his sight. This is accomplished from start to finish by faith." Notice he doesn't say count as right, or ignore our wrong doings but make us right and says it's accomplished by faith. Our righteousness with God is literally subsequent of faith, cross referencing what was said later on in Galatians.

Continuing through Romans, we can see several verses to use in "freedom of sin vs freedom to sin" issues.

Romans 2 is a chapter sent specifically to those who do believe in Christ. After 1:18-32 addressed the fate of those who didn't believe in God, Paul uses you distinctly from 'such people', referring to the lost of the 1:18-32.

Romans 2:1-3 "You may think you can condemn such people, but you are just as bad, and you have no excuse! When you say they are wicked and should be punished, you are condemning yourself, for you who judge others do these very same things. And we know that God, in His justice, will punish anyone who does such things. Since you judge others for doing these things, why do you think you can avoid God's judgment when you do the same thing?

Here it's clear that we can still be held accountable for our sin despite having faith Jesus is real. I think it's intention that matters here. If you're legitimately not trying to sin and legitimately trying to obey God's words, then that's the make or break into Heaven, in my opinion that I could be very wrong about. (think back to the faith without works verses in James and how verses about God knowing our every single motive about every single thing follows right after that)

Romans 2:6-8 "He will judge everyone according to what they have done. He will give eternal life to those who keep on doing good, seeking after the glory and honor and immortality that God offers. But He will pour out His anger and wrath on those who live for themselves, who refuse to obey the truth and instead live lives of wickedness."

I mean Jesus said it clear as day. He said that even the demons know and fear God's name. And He said many will say the Lord's name and say they have done He asked, but He will turn to them and say "I never knew you."

In 2:13 it says "For merely listening to the law doesn't make us right with God. It is obeying the law that makes us right in His sight."

In fact Romans 3, which as you probably know says over and over that through faith alone are we saved, that again "Well then, if we emphasize faith, does that mean that we can forget about the law? Of course not! In fact, only when we have faith do we truly fulfill the law."

Again, it's not per se saying that works can get us into Heaven, but if we have the kind of faith that gets us into Heaven, it will display in our lives. (Because the faith that gets into Heaven also gets us the Holy Spirit which literally produces the fruits listed in Gal. 5:23 in our lives, literally combats our sinful desires)

There is a big difference between a weak moment and a wicked walk.

Look a Romans 6:15-18 "Well then, since God's grace has set us free from the law, does that mean we can go on sinning? Of course not! Don't you realize hat you become the slave of whatever you choose to obey? You can be a slave ttto sin, which leads to death, or you can choose to obey God, which leads to righteous living."

In conclusion, Paul never backpedaled when he said faith produces good works.
#22NoTitleRequiredPosted 11/27/2012 11:55:06 PM
JonWood007 posted...
paul taught faith only

nope
---
Taste the fountain of immortality.
http://i43.tinypic.com/iqehc6.jpg