This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Dear Christians, please form rebuttals on my arrogant objections to your faith.

#71TheRealJiraiyaPosted 12/7/2012 9:10:08 AM
Well a people can be one way without every individual being that way. Germans tend to be more rule organized than Americans, but they arent all. If I said "The Germans are a very rule-oriented people" that might be true, but it doesnt mean its true of all of them. If my culture wrote about the Germans as "THOSE WHO ARE RULE ORIENTED", that still doesnt mean they are all that way, its just noting a trend in the culture.
---
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt
#72lastheroPosted 12/7/2012 9:21:18 AM(edited)
Genesis. Any place where things were created. Any place where God created the plants or animals or men. It always says "living souls" and "Man came to be a living soul".

Yeah, in reference to man, of course. I don't recall the Bible indicating anything else had that property, though.

Names are usually indicative of something. It's usually why barbarians are called barbarians, and mages are called mages.

Those examples do not apply here. Mages are not born mages and they don't have to stay that way - they could stop practicing magic. Same thing with barbarians, at least if you're going by the more modern meaning. They can be reformed. A being like the Nephilim you're describing cannot. At least if I accept your description of them.

Because they were called "fellers of men" not "pickers of flowers"

My name - my real name - means 'follower of Christ'. I suppose that means I'm not really an atheist?

You can't judge someone or something solely based on the way they're named. That's ridiculous.
---
X-Men: First Class RPG - Welcoming all new players!
[http://s1.zetaboards.com/New_Mutants/index/]
#73lastheroPosted 12/7/2012 9:19:29 AM
TheRealJiraiya posted...
Well a people can be one way without every individual being that way. Germans tend to be more rule organized than Americans, but they arent all. If I said "The Germans are a very rule-oriented people" that might be true, but it doesnt mean its true of all of them. If my culture wrote about the Germans as "THOSE WHO ARE RULE ORIENTED", that still doesnt mean they are all that way, its just noting a trend in the culture.

Exactly, thank you.
---
#74OrangeWizardPosted 12/7/2012 9:20:45 AM
We can't know anything more than what was presented in the bible, and the bible said that the earth was filled with badness and that the only people worth saving was Noah and his family.
---
Hi, I'm Larry the shivering chipmunk
Brr, I'm cold, I need a sweater.
#75OrangeWizardPosted 12/7/2012 9:22:07 AM
I don't recall the Bible indicating anything else had that property, though.

When talking about fish or plants, God said "Let the Waters/earth swarm/put living souls".
---
#76lastheroPosted 12/7/2012 9:38:28 AM
OrangeWizard posted...
We can't know anything more than what was presented in the bible, and the bible said that the earth was filled with badness and that the only people worth saving was Noah and his family.

I'm pretty sure the Bible just says Noah. For all we know, Noah's family could have been as bad as the rest of the world. Not that it really matters, though; somebody has to repopulate the world, obviously...

Fair enough, but if we're going to make a call on whether or not 'genocide' was justified in this case, we'd need more information.

1. What exactly is 'badness'?
2. What exactly makes Noah so special?
3. Was everyone presented with the same chance to know God that Noah was given?
4. Given that this was before God laid down his laws, was it even clear that the things they were doing displeased God?
5. Did killing everyone actually change anything? Was anything actually accomplished? Even afterwards, God admits that it's in the nature of men to be sinful, so there's no point in doing it full-scale again. Even if you believe the Flood was done to destroy the Nephilim, it's not like it's going to stop more from being born.
---
#77OrangeWizardPosted 12/7/2012 1:16:43 PM
Fair enough, but if we're going to make a call on whether or not 'genocide' was justified in this case, we'd need more information.

We're not even discussing that.

We're discussing whether or not genocide could conceivably be just, or if it's inherently evil.
---
#78ThuggernautzPosted 12/7/2012 1:32:06 PM(edited)
OrangeWizard posted...

Why not? Nephilim didn't leave any fossils?

One thing we can be pretty comfortable in asserting is that the flood didn't happen; at least not on a global scale as described.
#79OrangeWizardPosted 12/7/2012 1:36:59 PM
Why not? Nephilim didn't leave any fossils?

No, and neither DO MOST PEOPLE.

How often do you think fossils even turn up?
---
#80ThuggernautzPosted 12/7/2012 1:45:35 PM(edited)
OrangeWizard posted...

No, and neither DO MOST PEOPLE.

How often do you think fossils even turn up?

Note that you didn't say we 'don't' know any more than what is in the Bible, you said 'can't'. And until you can provide evidence of a nephilim fossil, there is no reason to believe that Nephilim or their alleged disposition, is true. So, being that we 'can't' know more than what is in the Bible, what is this mystical barrier that prevents us from finding a Nephilim fossil?

I'll propose one: the whole flood story is a load of bollocks.