This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Jesus fulfilling the law and Matthew 5:18

#1Kaiser1onePosted 12/4/2012 10:17:36 PM
Matthew 5:18

For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Ok how do these 2 coincide with each other? Jesus is supposed to have fulfilled the (OT?) law by sacrificing himself to himself so he could redeem us whilst bringing himself back to life. Thus making the OT rules obsolete. But then you've got the above verse which sounds more like it's not letting it go until more is done.

Expansions are welcome from all. And please keep the jargon to a minimal....I hate when Christian's talk almost cryptic in their wordings.

I'll admit I'm not a seasoned atheist, but some of the stuff my christian friends say just makes me go, "wtf?"
---
Why is it that the world can't spell "lose" right???
#2OrangeWizardPosted 12/4/2012 10:25:08 PM
For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

And all was fulfilled. By Jesus. Fulfilling the law.

That was easy.
---
Hi, I'm Larry the shivering chipmunk
Brr, I'm cold, I need a sweater.
#3JonWood007Posted 12/4/2012 10:44:56 PM
Depends who you ask, different people will come to different conclusions. Which is why the Bible is not in complete agreement. Paul obviously had a different view than Jesus, for instance.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#4Kaiser1one(Topic Creator)Posted 12/4/2012 10:48:39 PM
See I was thinking that it was , as usual, open to interpretation. One verse says one thing and then another makes you go, "wait but that says otherwise" like the situation above.
---
#5LastManStandingPosted 12/4/2012 10:54:42 PM
Matthew 5:17
Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.

Basically thanks to Christ who fulfilled it. Christ had over 600 whip marks on the body, most likely for each of the 613 laws of Moses
---
Divine Mercy - God Loves you
You will know them by their fruits says the Lord
#6Kaiser1one(Topic Creator)Posted 12/4/2012 11:03:10 PM
But then there's the part of Mat 5:18 which says till heaven and earth pass. Earth's still here and going nowhere anytime soon. But heaven? What?

So if Earth is still here, are the laws not to still be followed?
---
#7LastManStandingPosted 12/4/2012 11:04:19 PM
Kaiser1one posted...
But then there's the part of Mat 5:18 which says till heaven and earth pass. Earth's still here and going nowhere anytime soon. But heaven? What?

So if Earth is still here, are the laws not to still be followed?

By saying heaven it is an expression, if I remember correctly Isaiah said something similar
---
Divine Mercy - God Loves you
You will know them by their fruits says the Lord
#8TheRealJiraiyaPosted 12/4/2012 11:05:13 PM
Ive been giving this a lot of thought lately, and I have an interpretation I havent actually debated the merits of yet. So we will see how it holds up.

In a nutshell, the Old Covenant is still hanging around. It was, after all, eternal, and Revelation represents the Old Covenant in the New Earth by taking the 144,000 Jews mentioned.

Makes everything fit nicely.
---
"If a man does not know to what port he is sailing, no wind is favorable" -Seneca
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt
#9LinkFanaticPosted 12/4/2012 11:12:10 PM(edited)
TheRealJiraiya posted...
In a nutshell, the Old Covenant is still hanging around.

Where does that leave the New Covenant?
---
SSJ Gotenks is santa clause, because he can fly around the planet in one night. - ShaolinAced
#10Kaiser1one(Topic Creator)Posted 12/4/2012 11:14:18 PM
TheRealJiraiya posted...
Ive been giving this a lot of thought lately, and I have an interpretation I havent actually debated the merits of yet. So we will see how it holds up.

In a nutshell, the Old Covenant is still hanging around. It was, after all, eternal, and Revelation represents the Old Covenant in the New Earth by taking the 144,000 Jews mentioned.

Makes everything fit nicely.

But doesn't that go against the modern Christian who says the Hebrew scripts are no longer valid due to Jesus "dying".
---