This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Got Cao Dai?

#1gamesrgreatPosted 12/5/2012 3:56:56 AM
I saw this sticker on a car along with another sticker telling me to google the term caodai. I had never heard of this term and I was surprised to find it is the name of a religion. I read the wikipedia entry and it seems quite interesting. It seems like it has a mix of elements from Eastern and Western religions.

They phrase things in a yin and yang terminology. Before god there is the Tao. God emerges and forms yin and yang. He is in charge of the Yang and then uses part of himself to make the Mother Buddha who he puts in charge of the Yin. This has some interesting implications since yang is male and yin is female.

They have a church structure similar to the Roman Catholic Church. They also say Jesus was from God. They have three teachings: Buddha, sage and saint. Some interesting people on their list of people who delivered these teachings are Laozi, Guan Yin, Guan Yu, Jesus, Confucius, etc. Interesingly Jesus is noted as being directly shed from God and a Buddha.

I don't really have much to say here, just thought I'd share and see if anyone has heard of this religion or knows a member or if anyone has thoughts on the religion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cao_Dai
---
D-Jesus, Christ Bosh, King James 3:16
The Miami Heat 2012 Champs- Miller Time
#2OrangeWizardPosted 12/5/2012 9:22:54 AM
Oh good, there's finally a name to go with the fake religion that Americans have when they are half-heartedly playing at eastern religion.
---
Hi, I'm Larry the shivering chipmunk
Brr, I'm cold, I need a sweater.
#3gamesrgreat(Topic Creator)Posted 12/5/2012 11:00:20 AM
I think its the other way around actually. Its Vietnamese and has similarities to a religion in Taiwan
---
#4Resident WeevilPosted 12/5/2012 12:44:26 PM
Didn't know about this. I'll have to look into it. Thanks TC.
---
HP and MP restored!
...but you're still hungry
#5ForsakenHermitPosted 12/5/2012 1:12:41 PM
It is an interesting religion. I wonder if an atheist every unknowingly debates an follower of this faithand asks "if God created the universe than who created God?"
---
I will close this account if Final Fantasy XV is announced to be for either the Vita or 3DS.
Fire Yoichi Wada
#6CoyoteTheGreatPosted 12/5/2012 6:48:00 PM
OrangeWizard posted...
Oh good, there's finally a name to go with the fake religion that Americans have when they are half-heartedly playing at eastern religion.

Wasn't it always "Christianity"? I mean, I don't think there are many here in America who still follow western religions except for the American Indians and Mormons.
---
Disobedience is the stamp of the hero. -Ragnar Redbeard
Also, this is Kagata.
#7KNessJMPosted 12/6/2012 4:42:18 PM
Cao Dai is kind of like what you end up with if you believe in every religion simultaneously.
---
Quote of the Week: "Awaken. Seek truth. Stumble. Begin again."
#8AdmiralBisonPosted 12/6/2012 6:54:56 PM
Nothing extra-ordinary about this.
Just another religion getting it it's roots from others.

It should be quite obvious that Religion and its associated deities are human made.

This board if we all put our heads together can come up with a fairly robust religion and embelish it with supernaturalism and mysticism.
---
If delusions and Illusions are an en-escapable part of our entire lives, why not just pick a positive one?
#9gamesrgreat(Topic Creator)Posted 12/6/2012 10:23:15 PM
Nothing extra-ordinary about this.
Just another religion getting it it's roots from others.

It should be quite obvious that Religion and its associated deities are human made.

This board if we all put our heads together can come up with a fairly robust religion and embelish it with supernaturalism and mysticism.

Sounds like a good way for us to make some money
---
#10Julian_CaesarPosted 12/7/2012 4:48:44 AM
Wasn't it always "Christianity"? I mean, I don't think there are many here in America who still follow western religions except for the American Indians and Mormons.

I'm pretty sure Protestantism counts as a Western religion.
---
Every day the rest of your life is changed forever.