This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

[Physical] death is a gateway, not a destination.

#1kts123Posted 12/5/2012 9:25:46 AM
[ Disclaimer: I am only representing my own personal views as a Christian. I cannot speak for all Christians or religions. ]

When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. [1 Corinthians 13:11-12]

The child you once were has passed away, and with age, the person you are now will die as well. Just as the slow death of your body moves you from one stage of life to another, so the final physical death -- the culmination of the dying process which started at conception -- moves you to the last stage of life. [Almost] no one shakes their fist at God for allowing them to become an adult, even though the child they once were has long "died."

Good people pass away;
the godly often die before their time.
But no one seems to care or wonder why.
No one seems to understand
that God is protecting them from the evil to come.
For those who follow godly paths
will rest in peace when they die.
[ Isaiah 57:1-2 ]

[Physical] death is not a big deal to God, in fact he often grants it to those he loves to save them from turmoil on this Earth. Control over life and death, however, is granted to God alone, therefore it is not our place to tamper with the duration of life. Our restrictions on tampering with the flow of life should not, however, give us the impression that physical death is an absolute evil. In fact most of us will admit, living forever on this Earth is not entirely desirable. In many ways, bodily death in its due season is welcome. It is only untimely death that repulses us.
#2LastManStandingPosted 12/5/2012 9:29:09 AM
Yes it is just a stage, believe in Christ to avoid the second death - hell.
---
Divine Mercy - God Loves you
You will know them by their fruits says the Lord
#3devilupstevePosted 12/5/2012 9:54:10 AM
LastManStanding posted...

Fear tactics, because those always work right?
---
I've gone to find myself, if I get back before I return, keep me here.
#4kts123(Topic Creator)Posted 12/5/2012 9:54:56 AM
>_> Well that didn't take long.
#5LastManStandingPosted 12/5/2012 10:46:13 AM
devilupsteve posted...

Free will choice if you reject salvation
---
Divine Mercy - God Loves you
You will know them by their fruits says the Lord
#6Faust_8Posted 12/5/2012 10:47:36 AM
[Physical] death is not a big deal to God, in fact he often grants it to those he loves to save them from turmoil on this Earth.

And if their loved ones suffer, what does God care? He is above such things as temporary suffering.
---
The supernatural says that if you act a certain way you might avoid suffering. But reality says you came from the stars...
#7kozlo100Posted 12/5/2012 11:00:54 AM
kts123 posted...
[Physical] death is not a big deal to God, in fact he often grants it to those he loves to save them from turmoil on this Earth. Control over life and death, however, is granted to God alone, therefore it is not our place to tamper with the duration of life.

What implications do you believe this notion has for the field of medicine and other life preservation endeavors? Treatment of terminal disease, anti-aging research, something as commonplace as seat belts?
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#8JonWood007Posted 12/5/2012 11:59:57 AM
devilupsteve posted...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-w01ZT_2D7HM/TzHxqmKAnGI/AAAAAAAAAtM/zqD32LgC1Rk/s1600/god%2Band%2Bstalin.png
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#9kts123(Topic Creator)Posted 12/5/2012 1:37:41 PM(edited)
@JonWood:

If I am the only person who has food, and I offer it freely, it would be absurd to object "Oh, so I can either accept your free gift or die of starvation? What kind of choice is that! You're just like Stalin. You either did what he said or you died! And you're saying, I can either accept your free food or starve! See, just like Stalin." If you refuse it and starve, it's your own dang fault. The similarity to certain dictators is very superficial.

And if their loved ones suffer, what does God care? He is above such things as temporary suffering

You keep track of all my sorrows. You have collected all my tears in your bottle. You have recorded each one in your book. [ Psalm 56:8 ]

What implications do you believe this notion has for the field of medicine and other life preservation endeavors? Treatment of terminal disease, anti-aging research, something as commonplace as seat belts?

Scripture is not a legal document in the sense of a human legal document. It doesn't give lengthy, multi-page explanations to each word and term. The Lord expects us to exercise sound wisdom and discretion, fueled by understanding and knowledge. Now I can say "Let me not eat, if the Lord wishes me to live until tomorrow, he will sustain me. After all, it is written that man shall not live by bread alone." Well, to be realistic, the Lord also expects us to work for our bread. Sitting around expecting God to magically do everything is not a wise idea.

The sluggard buries his hand in the dish; it wears him out to bring it back to his mouth. [ Proverbs 26:15 ]

A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences. [ Proverbs 22:3 ]

Scripture is very clear, again and again, that walking through life requires effort. Further, it encourages that effort. We give the effort, the Lord meets us halfway. Murder on the other hand is strictly forbidden. Now where that meets with euthanasia is an interesting complexity. I'm inclined to err on the side of mercy.
#10lastheroPosted 12/5/2012 1:30:03 PM
devilupsteve posted...

The problem is that atheists - and really, anyone who doesn't believe in Christianity - doesn't reject Christ. In order to reject this offer, we would have to believe it existed in the first place.

If I truly believed God existed, I would want to know him better and accept his gift. I would have my questions and concerns about things, sure, but ultimately I would try to know him better and understand him. However, I do not find sufficient reason to believe that there is even a such a choice to be made. There's nothing to accept or reject.

To stay with the food analogy, it's like offering me food that you won't show me and that I have no reason to think you have. I can't accept or reject something until I know that it's there to be accepted or rejected.
---
X-Men: First Class RPG - Welcoming all new players!
[http://s1.zetaboards.com/New_Mutants/index/]