This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

C/D The primary purpose of the Church is to build community and teach theology

#1TheRealJiraiyaPosted 12/6/2012 9:29:24 AM
And the modern Christian Church is failing at both.

C.
---
"If a man does not know to what port he is sailing, no wind is favorable" -Seneca
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt
#2JonWood007Posted 12/6/2012 9:37:17 AM
Oh, the Christian church is great at spewing theology everywhere. The problem is some churches are trying to put their theology in our government.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#3TheRealJiraiya(Topic Creator)Posted 12/6/2012 9:47:52 AM
JonWood007 posted...
Oh, the Christian church is great at spewing theology everywhere. The problem is some churches are trying to put their theology in our government.

If you believe the average Church-goer is extremely educated in Christian theology, you must not have met them IMO
---
"If a man does not know to what port he is sailing, no wind is favorable" -Seneca
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt
#4kts123Posted 12/6/2012 9:56:07 AM
D.

The Church is a mosaic of God formed by the collective lives of those who genuinely gave their lives to Christ, and those who still do so today. The Church is functioning perfectly, as it has for the past 2,000 years. The roll of the Church is broad and not directly definable.

As for individual "home churches," yeah plenty of those flop around as you've said.
#5lastheroPosted 12/6/2012 9:56:25 AM
Pretty much, yeah. It doesn't help that there seems to be a very warped view on what theology out there, and it's getting pushed by people with loud mouths.

There's a lot of hulabaloo about the separation of church and state and how its bad for the state, but I don't think many people realize that politicizing religion is bad for religion, too.
---
X-Men: First Class RPG - Welcoming all new players!
[http://s1.zetaboards.com/New_Mutants/index/]
#6ThuggernautzPosted 12/6/2012 10:22:21 AM
I think the mega-popular mega churches go against pretty much everything Jesus argued for.
#7SuibomPosted 12/6/2012 10:29:23 AM
C

"And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ, till we all come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ; that we should no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting, but, speaking the truth in love, may grow up in all things into Him who is the headóChristó from whom the whole body, joined and knit together by what every joint supplies, according to the effective working by which every part does its share, causes growth of the body for the edifying of itself in love." (Ephesians 4:11-16 NKJV)

The church is for the growth of the body of Christ to do the works of Christ on earth as the bride of Christ.

But in America, the church is (at least, what's most visible to the public) to preach feel-good sermons to fatten the body of Christ to put it off onto politics to do the works of Christ as she is the unfaithful wife of Christ.

Sometimes, I wonder if the American church is the whore of Babylon Revelation talks about...
---
"Remember those who are in prison, as though in prison with them, and those who are mistreated, since you also are in the body." Hebrews 13:3 ESV
#8LastManStandingPosted 12/6/2012 10:31:31 AM
Catholic Church is the Body of Christ, for Christ is its head.
---
Divine Mercy - God Loves you
You will know them by their fruits says the Lord
#9the_hedonistPosted 12/6/2012 10:34:47 AM
Half-confirm?

The purpose of the Church is not so easily described. It is at least to build community and to teach theology, and the Church as I know it is failing miserably (largely due to its tragic disunity), but I feel that those are really subcategories to more important categories. The purpose of the Church is to advance the mission of God by administering the Sacraments and the ministry of the Word, by ministering to its members, and by being a prophetic voice in whatever environment it's in and ministering to those in need that are not a part of the body of Christ. I'm sure I'm missing parts because the view of the Church that the Bible has is so high and complicated (just read Ephesians), but I think the idea that the Church is solely meant "to build community" is a very recent evangelical Protestant emphasis that is very important, but cannot encapsulate all that the Church is meant for.
---
"Knowing is the responsible human struggle to rely on clues to focus on a coherent pattern and submit to its reality." -Esther Meek
#10Lord_IchmaelPosted 12/6/2012 11:09:25 AM
Half-confirm, this is somewhat subjective.

kts123 posted...
D.

The Church is a mosaic of God formed by the collective lives of those who genuinely gave their lives to Christ, and those who still do so today. The Church is functioning perfectly, as it has for the past 2,000 years.

I laughed at this.