This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

C/D The primary purpose of the Church is to build community and teach theology

#11mikmalotPosted 12/6/2012 11:32:27 AM
C, but I would also add "and work for justice", which I believe would follow from properly taught theology
---
Descartes is sitting in a bar, having a drink. The bartender asks him if he wants another. "I think not," he says and vanishes in a puff of logic.
#12IamvegitoPosted 12/6/2012 2:57:01 PM
Catholic Church is the Body of Christ, for Christ is its head.

Yeah, the CATHOLIC church, not the ROMAN church.
---
"A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid."
#131you4becky2stanPosted 12/6/2012 5:44:51 PM
D
---
Cain 2012
#14CorporateKnightPosted 12/6/2012 5:57:37 PM
Iamvegito posted...
Catholic Church is the Body of Christ, for Christ is its head.

Yeah, the CATHOLIC church, not the ROMAN church.

aka the ORTHODOX church.
---
[Vatican Foreign Legion]
http://i43.tinypic.com/359b6m1.gif http://i41.tinypic.com/24fwsa9.gif
#15SirThinkALotPosted 12/6/2012 6:23:41 PM
JonWood007 posted...
Oh, the Christian church is great at spewing theology everywhere. The problem is some churches are trying to put their theology in our government.

Getting people to spew talking points and vote the way you want isnt the same as actual education.
---
Learn real history and economics at liberty Classroom
http://www.libertyclassroom.com/dap/a/?a=1305
#16SSj4WingzeroPosted 12/7/2012 8:44:47 AM
C.

TRJ hit it on the head...most Christians have not studied much theology if any at all. The truest works of theology are incredibly dense and not easily read by anybody, and they require a ton of prerequisite knowledge to even read through let alone understand. Beyond "Jesus died for your sins", how much does the average person come into contact with? How many Christians have actually read St. Augustine's "Confessions" or "City of God", or Dietrich Bonhoeffer's "The Cost of Discipleship" or his "Letters and Papers from Prison?"

One walk into a Christian bookstore will tell you that a lot of the literature out there is lacking. When the books of Joel Osteen and Rick Warren (the latter of whom I don't necessarily dislike, but it's not really theology) are on the shelves in lieu of books that make you really, really, REALLY delve into the nature of what the scriptures mean and say, it's hard to say that the Church has done even a half-decent job at teaching theology.

With regards to building community, I'll borrow it from Rachel Held Evans - the modern-day church feels like either a country club or a cult, and I'm not really sure which one is scarier.
---
Not changing this sig until the Knicks win the NBA Championship! Started...4/23/2011? Or was it 2010?
#17SuibomPosted 12/7/2012 8:52:20 AM
Hey, at least we're over Rob Bell, mirite???

Ugh. Garbage theology packaged in flannel and granola and Starbucks...

His videos had good music though. Love "The Album Leaf"
---
"Remember those who are in prison, as though in prison with them, and those who are mistreated, since you also are in the body." Hebrews 13:3 ESV
#18HeadEXplodePosted 12/7/2012 1:12:42 PM
C

I thought that was the purpose of religion in general. The effectiveness is always debatable, though.
---
I control the world/You control my heart/And life was easier when watching evil empires fall apart.
#19Polish_CrusaderPosted 12/7/2012 2:44:53 PM
Thuggernautz posted...
I think the mega-popular mega churches go against pretty much everything Jesus argued for.

Wow. One of the most intelligent and true statements i have ever seen come out of thuggernautz. Amen to that.
#20SSj4WingzeroPosted 12/8/2012 7:33:01 AM
Thuggernautz posted...
I think the mega-popular mega churches go against pretty much everything Jesus argued for.

Pretty much. I've heard that the teaching at some of them isn't so bad (obviously certain ones like Osteen's church are pretty shabby IMO anyway in the theology department), but I find it hard to really build a community in a church where it's not only possible but rather likely that you can go to the same church for fifteen years and never run into a person who's been going to the same church for the exact amount of time.

That's just bizarre.
---
Not changing this sig until the Knicks win the NBA Championship! Started...4/23/2011? Or was it 2010?