This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So after being an atheist for 12+ years, I'm slipping back into belief, maybe

#1SMuffinManPosted 12/6/2012 2:34:40 PM
I was raised Catholic, baptized and all that.

I might like to start attending services, though not necessarily at a Catholic church. Are churches okay with people just walking in and sitting down or do I have to have a meeting with a priest first?
---
TWSS' resident spider enthusiast
Proud supporter of Israel http://i.imgur.com/a2rz2.jpg
#2kozlo100Posted 12/6/2012 2:37:51 PM
Most of 'em are perfectly fine with visitors. I don't think I've ever heard of one that wasn't ok with new folks dropping in for regular services.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#3SMuffinMan(Topic Creator)Posted 12/6/2012 2:41:26 PM(edited)
Alright, thanks :)

Mind you, I haven't made the decision yet, but at least if I do decide to go it'll be easy lol
---
#4ProudcladPosted 12/6/2012 2:50:46 PM
look for a baptist or pentecostal church
---
proudclad LAYING DOWN THE SMACK - Error1355
#5ProudcladPosted 12/6/2012 2:50:48 PM
look for a baptist or pentecostal church
---
#6ThuggernautzPosted 12/6/2012 2:54:23 PM
Can I ask what your reasons are for seeking out faith again?
#7LastManStandingPosted 12/6/2012 3:16:53 PM
SMuffinMan posted...

I might like to start attending services, though not necessarily at a Catholic church. Are churches okay with people just walking in and sitting down or do I have to have a meeting with a priest first?

Go back to Catholic Church, when you attend the service out of free will not routine it makes a world of difference. This was an eye opening for me. Welcome back brother:)
---
Divine Mercy - God Loves you
You will know them by their fruits says the Lord
#8ProudcladPosted 12/6/2012 3:20:29 PM
you know, it honestly doesn't matter what church you go to. what matters is whether or not the people are christ-oriented.

otherwise nothing will ever change. i'd suggest a rigorous read of the bible from cover to cover. and fellowship with a few people you trust. people who love you. maybe start a bible study at your house or something
---
#9IamvegitoPosted 12/6/2012 3:22:29 PM
I'd suggest not going back, unless you want to confirm why you became atheist in the first place. Any given church is probably 90% faking it for social acceptance, 1% leadership living off their money, and 8% visitors. Probably only 1% have had a meaningful impact from religion/ spirituality.
---
"A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid."
#10SMuffinMan(Topic Creator)Posted 12/6/2012 3:25:03 PM
Thuggernautz posted...
Can I ask what your reasons are for seeking out faith again?

I found out about a story commonly misinterpreted by opponents of the bible and found out what it actually meant. I was taught that God is a punishing god when I was little. People would say He was loving, but turn right around and contradict it because of their own misinterpretations (Jeremiah and the kids/bears for example). They'd say one thing and mean something else.

LastManStanding posted...
SMuffinMan posted...

Go back to Catholic Church, when you attend the service out of free will not routine it makes a world of difference. This was an eye opening for me. Welcome back brother:)

Eh. I still have core principals that I can't abandon. I support gay marriage, abortion, and contraception. Some of the other churches can be this way but iirc with Catholics it's a no-go.
---