This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So after being an atheist for 12+ years, I'm slipping back into belief, maybe

#41De EvolutionPosted 12/7/2012 1:44:26 AM
Chaos Scade posted...
Proudclad posted...
look for a baptist or pentecostal church

lol

I think Proudclad wants him to remain an atheist.

---
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
#42SMuffinMan(Topic Creator)Posted 12/7/2012 12:00:03 PM
I definitely know I'm staying away from the Baptists....you should know that Proudclad :P

It was a Baptist who told me my grandmother was going to Hell for being a Catholic after she died
---
TWSS' resident spider enthusiast
Proud supporter of Israel http://i.imgur.com/a2rz2.jpg
#43DarkContractorPosted 12/7/2012 2:17:09 PM
I definitely know I'm staying away from the Baptists....you should know that Proudclad :P

It was a Baptist who told me my grandmother was going to Hell for being a Catholic after she died

That's not a part of the Baptist belief set.

I'd recommend a Baptist Church myself, but I also must ask where you live? Because in the Bible Belt area be very wary of the Baptist Church you go to.

also stay away from Mega Churches. those just suck.
---
Psalm 18:6 'But in my distress I cried out to the LORD; yes, I prayed to my God for help. He heard me from his sanctuary; my cry to him reached his ears.'
#44TheRealJiraiyaPosted 12/7/2012 2:21:46 PM
SMuffinMan posted...

People be trippin

My recommendation, again, is to start with two non denominational Churches, hit up a few key Protestant denominations like Lutheran, Methodist, Baptist etc, and tie it up with Catholicism and Orthodoxy.

7 weekends and youll have an intro to quite a wide range. Then you can branch out into the sorts of ones you really liked.

I recommended 2 non-denom Churches because they can be very different
---
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt
#45DarkContractorPosted 12/7/2012 2:32:38 PM
one weekend go to that fried chicken restaurant, Churches. I hear it's bombin'
---
Psalm 18:6 'But in my distress I cried out to the LORD; yes, I prayed to my God for help. He heard me from his sanctuary; my cry to him reached his ears.'
#46DarkContractorPosted 12/7/2012 2:34:58 PM
Also, if you're serious about this and serious about putting time into this (which would only be like 2-3 hours a week, depending on distance anyways) TRJ has the best response, imo. I do think more than one Church is especially important because corruption exists in literally everything, Church included.
---
#47SMuffinMan(Topic Creator)Posted 12/7/2012 7:26:18 PM(edited)
I'm serious. Just again, haven't made up my mind yet. Could be months. I just want to know that the option is there.

DarkContractor posted...
but I also must ask where you live?

Michigan. Here in Bay City, we have about as many churches as we do bars. And that's a lot

Very weird area. Votes democratic peoples, votes republican on millages and the like. Very religious area. Off the top of my head I know three Catholic churches, a Lutheran church, a non-denominational church, and Baptist church.

These are just from signs that I remember specifically. I haven't even scratched the surface. Within two blocks of where I live, there are four churches.
---
TWSS' resident spider enthusiast
Proud supporter of Israel http://i.imgur.com/a2rz2.jpg
#48sthaterPosted 12/8/2012 12:49:03 AM
TheRealJiraiya posted...
I go to a non denominational Church, I feel like it has less... idk what the word I am looking for is, but it is negative, and there is less of it.

I wouldnt advise a Pentacostal for your first one, as Proudclad did, because those guys are REALLY hit-or-miss, and most of the ones Ive seen are miss.

But it doesnt matter a whole lot. Try 3 or 4 to get a larger sample size is my advice. Every Church is a bit different.

Yeah for my part I would say my worst experiences in church have been in Pentecostal churches. Again they do vary a lot but it has been frequent enough to me that I feel it's worth noting :|
---
We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
#49Polish_CrusaderPosted 12/8/2012 7:19:53 AM
Non-denominational > all

No annoying rules/ customs. Only Jesus. Only love. Only life.
#50anavriNPosted 12/8/2012 8:17:00 AM
SMuffinMan posted...
JonWood007 posted...
Care to elaborate?

Kings 2:24

Jeremiah cursed these kids in the name of the Lord, and as a result, 42 of them were mauled by bears. Previously unknown to me, 42 is a number associated with Satan (so I'm told). Therefore, it was Satan who had the children killed.

The ****?
This makes zero sense. And the link you posted about biblical numerology makes even less sense (negative sense? is that even possible?). If anything, the number is associated with Jesus and the Israelites.
But of course the explanation is that the Bible is a huge book filled with descriptive verses, of course some numbers are going to count up to 42. I bet you could find a few verses that count to 41 or 43.
---
§ 157. Der Gedanke an den Selbstmord ist ein starkes Trostmittel: mit ihm kommt man gut über manche böse Nacht hinweg.